WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Any bad towns?

Yes the Church of the Mountains Hostel is still open and hopefully it will stay open for many years to come, we need more places like that one.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Yes the Church of the Mountains Hostel is still open and hopefully it will stay open for many years to come, we need more places like that one.
    Indeed, although Pastor Karen retired last year. Sometimes that becomes an issue as new leadership can desire to change the misson of the church. But, so far only great reports last season regarding Church of the Mountain.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Folks, I think LW got you... ha ha ha.

For me, a bad town is one where I can't get a decent beer. I define that as either 1) cold and cheap, or 2) local and fresh. So, with that in mind, any "bad" towns? Any really good towns for "local and fresh"??
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post

For me, a bad town is one where I can't get a decent beer. I define that as either 1) cold and cheap, or 2) local and fresh. So, with that in mind, any "bad" towns? Any really good towns for "local and fresh"??
    Good thing you didn't try thru-hiking North Carolina back when all the towns along the AT were "dry". I didn't get to drink a beer until I got to Virginia!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Good thing you didn't try thru-hiking North Carolina back when all the towns along the AT were "dry". I didn't get to drink a beer until I got to Virginia!
    I know! Things have changed, though... had my first Modus Hoperandi at NOC (owner suggested I try it right there in the store). NC is now one of the best in those terms, I believe.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by scope View Post

Depends on your idea of local: on premises, in town, near town, same state?

Duncannon (Doyle has Troge and Yuengling)
    Helen, GA (has afew Atlanta beers, Sweetwater)
    Franklin (plenty of Asheville based bears)
    NOC (ditto)
    Hot Springs (ditto)
    Adbington, VA
    Long Trail Inn
    NY (should be able to find some Brooklyn Brewery products)

Manchester Center has the Madison Brewing Co. brewpub. Caught a free ride on the local bus both to and from town.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Manchester Center has the Madison Brewing Co. brewpub. Caught a free ride on the local bus both to and from town.
    Alligator...I believe Madison Brewing Co. is in Bennington, VT !!!
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Donde View Post
    Go to any town you want and act like a guest it'll work out alright.
    Great advice, as long as you know how to be a good guest!

With the exception of Helen, it's still nearly impossible to get a cocktail in the south.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    With the exception of Helen, it's still nearly impossible to get a cocktail in the south.
    True, but at least one can get beer and that's all whole lot better then nothin.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I am always a little saddened by the "grizzled vets" nearing the end of a thru hike that feel entitled to certain services or "extras." The same people that fall over themselves with gratitude at one end of the trail sometimes end up taking things for granted or expecting special deals by the end.

I go into every town with no expectations and always leave amazed at the generosity and goodwill of people. Town experiences are very subjective and depend on who you're with, how you're feeling, how many chores you have to do, etc. But as long as you are open and thankful you will probably not be disappointed.

I WILL say, however, that the layout of some towns is less hiker-friendly. For instance, it can be a walk to get to everything you want in Front Royal VA while you could throw a rock across Port Clinton PA. Consult the maps in your data book for guidance on this if you want to avoid walking a lot or paying for a taxi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Alligator...I believe Madison Brewing Co. is in Bennington, VT !!!
    Ooops, you are correct. I should have checked the town when I was checking the correct name of the brewpub! I guess it shows I had the sampler for lunch.IMAG0704.jpg

I was a bit geographically challenged the day I went there as well. I arrived at the road crossing lot a half hour early and decided to hitch. After about 20 minutes, a hiker couple got dropped off. They crossed over to my side of the road and I started talking with them. They had just come from town and pointed out to me that I was on the wrong side of the road. Nice town though free bus, free bike loan, free shower.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Well, this goes back a few years but I found Elk Park NC to be particularly unfriendly toward hikers. The motel, restaurant, and difficulty getting a hitch to/from the Trail. To be fair, it may have gotten better since 1999. Anyone want to agree or disagree?

I ended a section and began a section at Kent CT so I can't comment fully as many have, but what I did experience was more negative than positive.

Great Barrington MA seemed to be geared toward wealthy tourists. Hikers seemed to be unwelcome. YMMV.

I can't recall any other trail town that was particularly bad. Most were decent if not very accommodating. Tried my best not to appear to be "entitled," and that helped a lot.
    Last edited by Skyline; 03-13-2013 at 00:59.

Sorry to see the negative remarks about Hanover....it is evident that the poster hasn't been there for quite awhile. There is in fact laundry service (right on the Trail!) available at the Community Center; also a shower there; there are several outfitters/outdoor stores in town (either right on, or just off the Trail) and several very large ones quite close by in Lebanon; there are no hostels right in town, true, but there are now man friendly locals putting folks up in their homes, and feeding them,too!). Hanover is a lot friendlier than it used to be, and most folks seem to have a fine time there.

Hanover has great places for all. Great coffee, food and some of the "locals" are great hosts. We almost relocated to Hanover. Its actually gotten more hiker friendly over the past couple of years.
    I agree with others, you get what you give. Past hikers fudge it up for the others that follow because they feel entitled to certain things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Sorry to see the negative remarks about Hanover....it is evident that the poster hasn't been there for quite awhile. There is in fact laundry service (right on the Trail!) available at the Community Center; also a shower there; there are several outfitters/outdoor stores in town (either right on, or just off the Trail) and several very large ones quite close by in Lebanon; there are no hostels right in town, true, but there are now man friendly locals putting folks up in their homes, and feeding them,too!). Hanover is a lot friendlier than it used to be, and most folks seem to have a fine time there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    yea especially with multiple breweries right on the trail

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    not every body can afford $100+ to sleep. what outfitter?
    mountain goat

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    mountain goat
    http://mountaingoathanover.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Hanover is a bad town. no outfitter. no laundry. no cheap lodging/hostel
    Been to Hanover many times, have to disagree. Great college town, lots of neat shops (they do have a NF store in town, but mainly sells clothes and some backpacks). Just across the river in Vermont just off the AT trail are some lower cost rooms, that is where I've stayed. I would have to agree that towns are the Smokey Mts are very expensive and many tourist type of prices, Gatlinburg being one of them (and of course lots of cheap "hillbilly" type of ads everywhere in that area).
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++