WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Any bad towns?

Hanover is a bad town. no outfitter. no laundry. no cheap lodging/hostel

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I had a great time in Hanover - took a nero and a zero there....

Stayed at the Hanover Inn for 2 nights, enjoyed the coffee shop across the street, great place for breakfast close by, really good pizza place, great grocery store, outfitter held a drop for me, spent some time at the bookstore, enjoyed people watching the Dartmouth students/families...

Overall I'd rate Hanover and Manchester Center as my 2 favorite town stops.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I had a great time in Hanover - took a nero and a zero there....

Stayed at the Hanover Inn for 2 nights, enjoyed the coffee shop across the street, great place for breakfast close by, really good pizza place, great grocery store, outfitter held a drop for me, spent some time at the bookstore, enjoyed people watching the Dartmouth students/families...

not every body can afford $100+ to sleep. what outfitter?

I don't remember the name of the outfitter but as I recall it was right on the trail (sidewalk) on the right as the AT left town. If I'm remembering it right you walked in and it was on 2 levels - walking down some steps with that area being 100% fly fishing stuff.

It wasn't an outfitter full of hiker gear but they had right much useful stuff. I picked up a pair of socks and some esbit while I was there.

Ah.. here you go: http://www.hanoveroutdoors.com/

I was there in June 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by mdj05f View Post
    I read about free hot showers at the visitor center of the park at a dam...somewhere in the south, can't remember now.
    That would be Fontana dam at the NC/TN border! Love that place.

Images

awesome thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I also rated Hanover as my favorite town. Back in the day they had a laundromat, a church hostel (and the frats still took hikers in), and an outfitter. (Although as LW points out that has all disappeared) Thayer Hall had AYCE (now a la carte and not a bargain) and we had access to the Dartmouth gym with showers. Plus a great bookstore, movie theater, the green, grocery store, and all those great places to eat.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    No such thing as a "bad town". I think the respect you get is equal to the respect you give. Nothing wrong with Kent, had a great supper with about 10 other thrus at a large restaurant, and a great breakfast with one other thru at a small restaurant the next morning.
    i loved kent gave me a chance to learn a knew trade the outfitter their was cool,just not a hostel very pricey place.I did like the grocery store!ky

I'm a Hanover fan, too. The Dartmouth students were very friendly, I ate well, and I had a chance to revisit the Orozco murals in the basement of Baker Library.
    http://thedartmouth.com/2012/10/09/news/murals

How did I know they were there? I did Peace Corps training at Dartmouth many moons ago.

I don't think there's bad towns...just bad town experiences. I stayed 2 days in Kent and had a great time. Chinese food, awesome burgers, great hotel! Now, Kent is pricey, but everyone there was really nice to me. Also, I had just exploded my shoes and literally spent forever trying to buy a new pair (they didn't have what I liked, so I was indecisive and taking way too long), and the guy at the shoe store was super accommodating! And, what's NOT to like about Hanover? There's a motel that was clean and cheap 2.2 miles south of town, there's free coffee, donuts, bagels, etc. all around town. Also, there's like 3 outfitters there...granted 1 or 2 are trendy hiker clothes stores...So, I'm not sure what the fuss is about. Each town is what you make of it, and don't expect to be treated like royalty just 'cause you're walking really far.

Images

I've never felt unwanted or unappreciated in any trail town on either the AT or PCT. I have seen plenty of other hikers who were! It's all about how you act and treat others.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Being so close to the trail , Kent was a great town to resupply, grab a meal and then head out. Since doing the other trails, made me realize how convenient a town like Kent could be.

My advice to other AT hikers? Take a nero when you can. Take advantage of the towns like Kent so close to the trail. Camp just outside of town, go in, do what you need, have a few luxuries and then camp just outside again.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

No bad towns, just badly behaved individuals, hikers and townies alike. Yep...Leo's too.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 02-21-2013 at 06:10. Reason: Leo's

Registered User KingGator and Sons's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I had no issue in Kent on my SOBO except for the nasty PO guy. I can't recall a bad town per say, really.
    Probation Officer?
    "Sometimes you just gotta say "F" it and live life"
    KING GATOR

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Being so close to the trail , Kent was a great town to resupply, grab a meal and then head out. Since doing the other trails, made me realize how convenient a town like Kent could be.

My advice to other AT hikers? Take a nero when you can. Take advantage of the towns like Kent so close to the trail. Camp just outside of town, go in, do what you need, have a few luxuries and then camp just outside again.
    been their and done it!your right.ky

Apparently you're out of the loop. Hanover has tuned into a great trail town!

Hanover is home to the Hanover Area Friends of the A.T. The Friends group was created in 2009 to assure that (a) Hanover fully welcomes and serves A.T. hikers and (b) our residents and guests understand and appreciate this national treasure that passes through our town.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/what...ies/hanover-nh
    Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I also rated Hanover as my favorite town. Back in the day they had a laundromat, a church hostel (and the frats still took hikers in), and an outfitter. (Although as LW points out that has all disappeared).
    Not quite. There's at least two outfitters and others in West Lebanon, shower and laundry facilities have been provided for AT hikers as well as cheap or free lodging and camping is permitted on the outskirts of town.

Images

The town has made the local rec center available for hiker showers and laundry. Sadly, it is only open Monday thru Friday. It's right on the trail, but more convienent for southbounders as it's on the way out of town for NOBO's.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Hanover is a great town one of the best on the trail. on the other hand like i said in my other post POUGHQUAG NY is a awful town i was spit on, i was cussed out by the hotel manager upon other things very rude town . It's only a few miles south of Pawling NY I would highly advise everybody to go to Pawling instead a lot better town.

Funny how everyone's perception is so different, luck of the draw I suspect. I didn't find Kent a bad town, just indifferent which is fine by me, they had a very nice laundry. I stayed with Maria McCabe in Salisbury and we've become friends, I've been back another four times for section hikes and have really enjoyed that whole area. The BB we stayed at in Boiling Springs Made us leave our packs on the back porch, bummer. I was severely overcharged by a cabbie in Waynesboro and but the shuttle guy in Front Royal didn't charge nearly enough, he got nice tip. Is the church hostel still open at the Delaware Water Gap?, the Lady Parson there was as nice as could be and I had a fine meal of sea scallops just down the street. Good times all!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++