WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Any bad towns?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Far more bad hikers than bad towns.
    Of course, there are far more hikers than towns.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    was just gettin' ready to post that . so true
    Thru hikers are pretty awesome for the most part, though. And doing that is much better than being a boring square with a normal job in society. We are doing things these people dream of, but can't, or won't.

Quote Originally Posted by ABnormal View Post
    Thru hikers are pretty awesome for the most part, though. And doing that is much better than being a boring square with a normal job in society. We are doing things these people dream of, but can't, or won't.
    Or take their commitments and responsibilities seriously and sacrifice things like long hiking vacations in favor of supporting their families and/or community. Being awesome is a relative thing.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Or take their commitments and responsibilities seriously and sacrifice things like long hiking vacations in favor of supporting their families and/or community. Being awesome is a relative thing.
    Are you suggesting that my family is more important than my vacation aspirations?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Are you suggesting that my family is more important than my vacation aspirations?
    Enjoy them while you have them at home, time flies, and before you know it they are moving on with their own lives.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

I personally am not a huge fan of Duncannon, PA. It is or feels like a pretty rough part of town walking nobo prior to the doyle. That wasn't the feeling I got with the rest of PA but for some reason Duncannon just has a rough non "small town america" feel to it. As well as Wind Gap, PA just south of DWG.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    ^^^^+1

I'm enjoying my family and career at age 41, I am not going to get this family time back later. the kids are off during the summer and we do cool stuff together. A traditional AT thru would eat a whole summer that I could have spent at home or on vacation with them. A thru hike would remove me from where I "need" to be. the AT isn't going anywhere. if I live long enough it will be there when I want it.

Class of 2030 here I come!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Enjoy them while you have them at home, time flies, and before you know it they are moving on with their own lives.
    It’s already going too fast. We just started Kindergarten this month. Hard to believe I’ve been a dad for five years.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Amen and amen.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    But then there’s grandparenthood! which is a million times more fun than being a parent.

Quote Originally Posted by ABnormal View Post
    When I see posts like this I always wonder what the person's life is like off the trail. I hope you have a happy life off the trail ABnormal as well as a great time on the trail. I guess I was lucky to have a family I love very much and a job I really enjoyed.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    When I see posts like this I always wonder what the person's life is like off the trail. I hope you have a happy life off the trail ABnormal as well as a great time on the trail. I guess I was lucky to have a family I love very much and a job I really enjoyed.
    When I see posts like this I wonder if this's not a troll. Way off topic.

As to the thread, IMHO as long as you hike with Mr. Green, there are no bad towns.....

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    As to the thread, IMHO as long as you hike with Mr. Green, there are no bad towns.....
    explain...

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    explain...
    Very simple... the almighty dollar.
    If you have some bucks in your pocket, you are always welcome (and there's nothing wrong with that).
    Last edited by stephanD; 09-18-2019 at 19:57.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mdj05f View Post
    A customer at my brother's vitamin store who was experienced with the AT mentioned a few towns that in fact DO NOT appreciate AT thru-hikers and do not treat them well at all. Of course my brother can't remember the towns he named. Are there any that come to anyone's mind?

Thanks!
    Recently we went through some trying times for Damascus but we have never lost our standing in the hiking community. However, there a good many hiker individuals who have lost their standing with us. If you get treated wrongly in our town the reason most likely will be you started it first. I am not saying you will not catch some business owner on a bad day, I certainly have had my share of them with some of my guests. But to diss a whole town because you have had a bad experience is childish. Go to the next business. And don't be so dern picky either. I have met some of the most pickiest people in my life that come out of the hiking community. Maybe we don't talk right? Go find a town that talks right for you.

I will never forget all the horrible calls I received when the town decided to take away the tenting. Folks were telling me they were going to make sure our town dried up and the hikers would be re-routed and so forth. Hasn't happened yet. But if it ever does I got news for you Damascus will not suffer because the bicycling is the big economy here.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    Helps get your foot in the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry #1 View Post
    Recently we went through some trying times for Damascus but we have never lost our standing in the hiking community. However, there a good many hiker individuals who have lost their standing with us. If you get treated wrongly in our town the reason most likely will be you started it first. I am not saying you will not catch some business owner on a bad day, I certainly have had my share of them with some of my guests. But to diss a whole town because you have had a bad experience is childish. Go to the next business. And don't be so dern picky either. I have met some of the most pickiest people in my life that come out of the hiking community. Maybe we don't talk right? Go find a town that talks right for you.

I will never forget all the horrible calls I received when the town decided to take away the tenting. Folks were telling me they were going to make sure our town dried up and the hikers would be re-routed and so forth. Hasn't happened yet. But if it ever does I got news for you Damascus will not suffer because the bicycling is the big economy here.
    Damascus will always be # 1 Trail Town USA

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++