WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Pine Mountain Trail (Ga)

I'm planning to hike this trail next month. Any advice/stories? I've never been there.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

I actually think there are two pine mountain trails in ga. One near cartersville and one near columbus.

Images

You are probably talking about the one FDR State Park. It is nice. I've done it end to end and back. I'm not sure if the water spigots are turned on but you should be able to filter water from the streams with no problem.

Default Pine Mountain Trail (Ga)

Being that I live in Atlanta, I have been interested in exploring these trails for a while.

Are you looking to do the pine mountain trail specifically? There are many other trails in the park which can form a loop hike.

I have had a good experience talking to Jim Hall with FDR state park about the trail systems there. He was really helpful helping me form a loop that suited my trip interests, sending me maps, where to park etc... I would email him if you have any questions.

Let me know if and when you end up going!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Last edited by 10-K; 02-19-2013 at 13:37.

It's easy. Lots of water. Not too many people (at least when I've been on it). Tornado damaged areas are quite remarkable.

Images

I'm talking about the one at FDR SP, near Columbus. Main trail, maybe some loops. "Easy, with lots of water and not too many people" sounds pretty good....

Know any shuttlers in that area?
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

http://www.pinemountaintrail.org/

lots of information there. if you plan on backpacking, you might as well join the PMTA since FDR charges $9 a night to use their campsites.

Shuttle information here: http://www.pinemountaintrail.org/?page=14

With only 23 miles from end-to-end, you can do an out-and-back of the whole trail in a few days.

Easy Trail and a lot of road crossings if you want to do short out and backs and basically shuttle yourself. It should be relatively baren of people this time of the year. Still, expect to see some near road crossings and at the eastern end where FDR went to "reflect" at the waterfalls/pool. You have a lot of options to add miles or to even shorten the main trail. You'll see what I mean when you get the map. You can pick up a map at the park HQ if needed.

Images

I ordered the map for Pine Mtn. off their website. Tons of loop trails, so no real need for a shuttle unless you want to hike end to end.

I've done it with younger scouts training for some AT hikes. I do not remember paying $$ for camp sites, but you did have to register and fill out a Backcountry permit, for free. They may charge big bucks now, I may be wrong. Nice hike, some hills, nice views and water sources well indicated on map, which you can purchase at the Ranger station when you register. Have fun.

Images

Thanks for all the good info!

On weekends, and especially if the weather is good, the Wolfden loop will have more people on it compared to other sections of the trail, in my experience.

The tornado damage is on both sides of the road, and actually quite impressive. It is going to take many years to recover.

The PMT is a good trail for a shakedown hike. You can reasonably do it in two or three days, depending on your speed. The trail is not strenuous but there are a few spots which will have you sweating. Not much wildlife, at least that I've seen.

Additionally, Mountain Top cabins (http://www.mountaintopinnga.com/) are located right about the midpoint of the trail. The wife and I have talked about doing trail in 2 days, spending the night at Mountain Top cabins. She likes hiking but dislikes sleeping not on a bed.

Images

Chief,
    the PM trail is an enjoyable trail and I have hiked it several times. The wolf den loop by the TV tower and Dowdels knob are definitely the places you will see the most people. You can do the entire trail in 2 -3 days. It is not a very strenuous trail but there are enough climbs to get your blood flowing good. There is a fee for backcountry camping ( I think it is $9 a night as was suggested in an earlier post). Water should not be an issue since we have had plenty of rain lately so streams should be flowing well. I've never done it as an end to end so I have no experience with shuttles but with a map (from park office) you can easily devise a loop hike to bring you back to your vehicle. I have left a car parked overnight at the roadside park near the TV tower and at Dowdels knob without any problems. Have a great hike.

++ New Posts ++