WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    2013 Alleged Thru-Hiker Chuckie V's Avatar
    No Fixed Address (Though usually found in CO)

Default The Hiking Culture (of fear)

There seem to be so many threads going on about the risks and fears of hiking. It seems ours is a fear based culture, but I never really imagined so many hikers would be afraid. It's strange too, because when I'm out hiking and happen upon others, the conversations almost never steer toward what we're afraid of, or what "might happen." Perhaps being indoors raises our fears! I know the thought of being indoors all my life scares the living hell out of me! If hiking on the AT or anywhere else is deemed a risk, it's best to take some risks, I think.

Yes, true, but it seems that most of the fears are not of the outdoors themselves, but about other people in the outdoors. I don't worry about it but I sometimes think about it if I'm alone in a shelter late at night close to a road or a town and I hear something I can't identify. Just human nature I think. Booeyman stuff from when we were children.

so is this just a statement or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    so is this just a statement or what?
    Are people not allowed to think out loud here?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie V View Post
    Are people not allowed to think out loud here?
    sure. are you afraid or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    sure. are you afraid or not?
    Of contracting Lyme disease, yes. But not of other people, though that entirely depends on the individual.

Images

I'm not and have never been afraid of the woods nor anything that lives there. I am, however, always prepared for evil humans who might be found there and would do me harm. I'm not afraid. I am prudent.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

most hikers are afraid of everything associated with the outdoors. not just other humans

I sometimes wonder where people that don't like the woods get these fears, then the other day I landed on Wikipedia's entry for the Appalachian Trail.

In a side bar they list,

Hazards:
    Severe weather
    American Black Bear
    Tick-borne diseases
    Mosquitos
    Yellowjackets
    Biting flies
    Chiggers
    Steep grades
    Limited water
    Diarrhea from water
    Poison ivy
    Venomous snakes

I wonder who edited this least of "hazards"?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Haven't you heard that breathing too much is bad for you? Smiling too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf:1421017
    most hikers are afraid of everything associated with the outdoors. not just other humans
    Wolves are scary in their natural habitat. Not a problem on the AT though.

Only recall feeling fear a few times on trail.
    - Night-hiking in the rain and mist up White Cap after a 16 mile day. Exhausted and going over a mountain in very very poor visibility, at night, is not fun.
    - Hearing that bull moose call 100~ ft behind me during rutting season. Rutting season. Moose. Enough said!
    - Doing 11+ miles over Franconia Ridge on a clear sunny day with just over a Liter of water. Wasn't sure I was going to make it to Liberty Spring Campsite.
    - Walking up on a porcupine in the middle of the trail. First encounter w/ that animal ever. Didn't know if it would 'charge' or not. (I have to laugh about that now!!)

Fear concerning people? Not really. Kept my eye on a few people here and there when sharing a shelter, but never really ran across people that put fear in me.

Oh man yellow jackets, I was in Vernon nj, dropped my pack to go into post office. Did my business, came out and put my pack back on and , yikes, I was stung by a bee that was on the inside of my shoulder strap. That left a mark.

Well said, Chuckie V. We do have a culture of fear. People seem to be afraid of new ideas, of risk, of each other. Every new product carries a ton of warnings, which are meant to ward off litigation, I suppose, but make people wary of doing or using anything. Politics (let's not go there) are confrontational, religion (nor there) is confrontational. When I hike, be it a short walk in the park or a long backpacking trip, I feel peaceful and relaxed most of the time. I enjoy the problem-solving aspects and try to make good decisions. Most of the people I meet seem to be in that frame of mind, too.

Garlic
    Images

The trails and woods are benign places, full of peace and God. I get nervous sometimes in town and traveling to the trailhead, then I relax.

I once saw a list of the things hikers are most afraid of (Backpacker Magazine, I think). Next to that was a list of things that actually hurt people in the woods. The two lists are almost exactly opposite. For instance, slips and falls are the number one risk, and it's the last thing most people are afraid of. Wild animals top the list of fear, and are at the bottom of the actual list.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Yea. Thats why I always carry gold when I hike in case of global collapse.

(but I do agree with you)

Basiphobia : (fear of walking)
    Avoidance of walking because of the fear that something dreadful will happen as a result; such as, collapsing and dying.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    ... The two lists are almost exactly opposite. For instance, slips and falls are the number one risk, and it's the last thing most people are afraid of. Wild animals top the list of fear, and are at the bottom of the actual list.
    Isn't that the truth. If anyone finds that article, please let me know.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    For instance, slips and falls are the number one risk, and it's the last thing most people are afraid of.
    Even in the last 200 miles of a thru hike?

: )

Images

There are indeed (who might say Nay) gloomy & hypochondriac minds, inhabitants of diseased bodies, disgusted with the present, & despairing of the future; always counting that the worst will happen, because it may happen. To these I say How much pain have cost us the evils which have never happened!”
    Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, Apr. 8, 1816

Journal Entries

I am mostly afraid of mice. On the trail, I am most often spooked that fearsome predator; the squirrel

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++