WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Winter Hike of Smart Mountain, NH - This Weekend

Hi Folks - My girlfriend and I are looking to attempt a winter hike of Smart Mountain in NH this weekend. Can anybody offer insight into the trail? We're prepared with winter gear, snowshoes, probably microspikes as well, and we're both experienced. I'm worried that, given the conditions, we'll need technical gear, which we don't have. In particular, can anybody local to the Hanover/Smart Mountain area tell us about the trail on and around Smart Mountain? Also, is the cabin at the top open in winter time?

Any and all insight welcome.

RangerPhil

Not familer with that mountain but at 3240 ft, can't be too serious. The trail discription in the AMC White Mnt Guide doesn't say much. Just be ready for a work out. And keep in mind there's another snow storm scheduled to start Saturday afternoon. That area is in the 8 to 10" of wet snow band by Sunday morning.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Hello, I am the former trail maintainer of the section of the AT that runs southbound from the Quintown Road to the summit of Smarts Mtn. The best approach in the winter is via Quintown Road which leaves NH Rte 25A about 4 miles east of the Rte 10 and 25A intersection in Orford. Follow the Quintown Rd about two miles until the road turns right onto Mousley Brook Rd. Park at the Intersection if the plowing stops. Don't cross over the bridge on your right which is MB Rd. Walk up Quintown Rd for one mile to the AT crossing and go right onto the AT. It's about four miles to the Wardens cabin with is always open. The fire tower is also open. Here are some winter photos of Smart's summit. Have fun, it's a really nice winter hike. I have skiied and snowshoed this hike. The only problematic part is crossing the gorge near the beginning of the AT section. There used to be a funky suspension bridge at that location built by Dartmouth students, but the USFS had it removed due to safety concerns. Rightfully so since it was freaky.

2221638440063988367MqUwac_ph.jpg2554695390063988367drYFmD_ph.jpg2767423970063988367zwWMhO_ph.jpg2837131380063988367SJUljv_ph.jpg2994800420063988367OHiNpV_ph.jpg
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

with the approaching snow, you should be good to go with what you have. I believe the snow will provide all the traction and make for some good snowshoeing. Have fun. That area is in for about 3-6 inches of snow according to the forecast I just looked at. Should be fun

++ New Posts ++