WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default On The Nut Trails of the Citico

17 DAYS IN THE CITICO
    There are 3 tough nutbuster trails in the Citico Creek wilderness of Tennessee and they are the North Fork, Brush Mt and the South Fork. My goal on this trip was to pull a 17 day backpacking trip with my trail tools and clear these most favored of trails.

The North Fork was already in pretty good shape but Brush Mt and the South Fork needed alot of work. Since this trip started on November 27 I took the usual standard winter load. To see all trip pics go here---

https://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backp...e-Citico-Nuts/

TRIP 170
    November 27--December 13 2015

HIGHLIGHTS
    ** 17 DAYS IN DECEMBER

** BICYCLISTS ON THE NORTH FORK TRAIL IN THE CITICO WILDERNESS

** MEETING PATMAN COMING DOWN THE NORTH FORK TRAIL

** 75 HOUR NORTH FORK RAINSTORM AND 3 ZERO DAYS

** CITICO AND NORTH FORK CREEK FLOODS

** 12 COLD AND TOUGH NORTH FORK FORDS

** 7 BACKPACKERS ON BOB BALD

** THE HELL OF TRAILWORKING BRUSH MT TO BUG HOLLOW GAP

** THE HELL OF TRAILWORKING BRUSH MT TO THE SOUTH FORK CROSSING

** TRAILWORKING SOUTH FORK CITICO TRAIL

TRAILS
    Entrance at Beehouse Gap
    Beehouse Roadwalk
    South Fork 105
    North Fork
    **Camp 2 North Fork**
    North Fork
    **Camp 7 (2)**
    North Fork
    **NF Switchback Camp (2)**
    North Fork
    **Blue Rock**
    North Fork
    Trail 149
    **Cold Gap**
    54A South
    **Raven Camp Bob Mt (2)**
    54A North
    BMT Connector
    **Barrel Gap**
    Trail 149
    Brush Mt
    **Bug Hollow Gap**
    Brush Mt
    **Brush South Fork Camp**
    South Fork
    **White Rock**
    South Fork
    **Camp 28**
    South Fork
    **Iron Camp**
    South Fork
    Cold Gap
    54A South
    **South Col Bob Mt**
    54A South
    Fodderstack
    Beech Gap and OUT

PRE-TRIP ITEMS: Before the trip Little Mitten and I drove to Rock Creek Outfitters in Chattanooga and I got some items for the trip, including this Patagonia capilene midlayer hoody, which proved to be outstanding.

Little Mitten drives me up the Cherohala Skywad road and drops me off in Beehouse Gap where I did a roadwalk with my 88 lb pack a mile down to the South Fork 105 trailhead and take it to the North Fork 98 trailhead and up the creek trail to stop at this scenic spot.

Another new item are these Zamberlan Vioz Plus GT boots to replace my crappy Asolo boots, and they worked perfectly.

As I make my way up the North Fork trail I run into my backpacking buddy Patman doing some intricate loops in the wilderness and so we hang out for an hour and eat lunch together on the trail.

Patman takes off down the North Fork trail and crosses #7 as I head up the trail to camp. Soon begins my 75 hour rainstorm which turns the North Fork into a raging river.

The nasty 75 hour rainstorm causes me to hunker in for 3 zero days in my Hilleberg tent as the North Fork trail has around 25 creek crossings and the storm kept me pinned as the creek went wild, as above.

On Day 6 the rain finally ends and so I make my way up the North Fork and reach this crossing which requires crocs and careful foot placement. I turn left and face this blowdown and use both hands to guide me across the white water and make it to the other side okay.

On Day 7 I wake up to 25F temps and have 9 more North Fork creek crossings in crocs so I stow my boots atop my pack and under the pack lid so I can concentrate on the crossings w/o carrying boots. The water is butt cold.

After crossing #6 I have to stop as my toes and feet turn numb and painfully cold and time for a warm-up.

How cold is it? Cold enough for these icicles and so barefoot creek crossings suck.

The North Fork trail takes me to Trail 149 which takes me to Cold Spring Gap which takes me to Trail 54A which takes me to Bob Mt at 5,300 feet where I set up the red Hilleberg tent.

While camping on Bob Mt I run into 7 backpackers from Knoxville and we all hang out together in the cold wind of December.

On the morning of Day 10 I return to their camp and get a few group pics before they shove off to Hangover Mt and down Jenkins Meadow and out. I ask them what they want to be called and they say "The Hot Damn 7".

As the group prepares to leave the mountain I see my first quilted mini-skirt.

I too leave Bob Mt and head down Trail 54A North and stop for a quick pick showing off my nice Patagonia capilene hoody, my cheap $6 walmart fleece gloves, my new Zamberlan boots and my smartwool merino leggings.

Trail 54A North takes me down to Fodderstack Ridge and Snow Camp where I find sign of Redneck garbage and so I cut down the tarp and wad up the cheap tent and place everything under a camp rock for later removal.

On Day 11 I tackle the toughest trail in the Citico wilderness and it's Brush Mt which requires a tremendous amount of trailwork. I stop here at a pretty crossing over Brush Creek.

I spend two days on Brush Mt trail and near the bottom I hit this collapsed rhodo on the trail but easily fixed with my Corona folding saw.

VOILA!! Trail cleared.

I reach the bottom of the Brush Mt trail and camp on South Fork Creek and get some condensation in the morning which falls over the inside of the fly and lands on the outside of my inner tent canopy. This is a perfect example of why you should never use a single wall tent.

Brush Mt trail crosses this creek, the South Fork, and so I decide to climb this 9 mile trail and do trailwork along the way. This would be Day 13.

As I climb the South Fork I run into this crappy blowdown but clear it fast with the saw.

Mess cleared.

I climb the South Fork trail and set up camp near the Jeffrey Hell trailpost and trailhead.

As I climb the South Fork this stupid hunting dog goes over to my pack as I'm clearing a blowdown and pisses on it. Wonderful dogs.

The South Fork trail pops me out in Cold Gap and by Day 17 I head here to Beech Gap to end another wonderful trip.

Another great trip! love my cap 4 hoody...great versatile piece of gear!!! Haa dog pissed on your pack...sucks but funny!!! Hunting with dogs for big game should be banned.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why blur out the bicyclists faces? They shoukd be publicly shamed for being douchenozzles.

Images

Another new item are these Zamberlan Vioz Plus GT boots to replace my crappy Asolo boots, and they worked perfectly.

nice......i bought a different model of zamberlans a couple of years ago...

interested to hear how these hold up for ya...

mine are the best boot ive had in 20 some years.....

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Why blur out the bicyclists faces? They shoukd be publicly shamed for being douchenozzles.
    I'm most worried about the identity of the dog

Naw, seeing the bicyclists on Day 1 of the trip soured my Mojo and caused my usual normal self to get agitated so I blurred out the faces to prove it's not really a personal thing and it's nothing to get emotional over.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    nice......i bought a different model of zamberlans a couple of years ago...

interested to hear how these hold up for ya...

mine are the best boot ive had in 20 some years.....
    I'm liking these clod-hoppers and liking the thick leather, just wondering if I have to get the Zamberlan hydrobloc boot grease or can I use something else and something easier to find??

They seem to be a giant step up in quality from the sorry Asolos and therefore will be my standard winter boot (and microspikes fit onto them nicely). I constantly waded water down to the top cuffs abut 7 inches deep and never had a water leak or moist socks. They have all the benefits of a Sorel type packboot without the clumsiness and difficulty of long-term backpacking.

Time will tell if the Z's delaminate and the rand or soles start to come unglued.

Images

picture 92 is a great one....

Images

just wondering if I have to get the Zamberlan hydrobloc boot grease or can I use something else and something easier to find??

ya know----if memory serves me right---i called zamberlan about this and they said that it would be alright to use Nikwax.......

you may wanna call and confirm this before you use though..................so ya dont blame me if they get messed up.....

Images

and thanks for clearing out brush mountain trail once again....

loved yet hated that trail........

also.............after the new year----might wanna hook up with you and help clear the snowbird ridge (?) trail out this summer...

that seems like it would be a good project for me......

and thanks for clearing out brush mountain trail once again....

loved yet hated that trail........

also.............after the new year----might wanna hook up with you and help clear the snowbird ridge (?) trail out this summer...

that seems like it would be a good project for me......
    Snowbird Mt trail #415 needs extensive help and winter would be the best time to clear it but let's face it, it's not a trail in any sense of the word. It's on my To Do list but at what cost? I'd have to camp every mile and go from faint tree blaze to tree blaze, inching forwards at an incredibly slow pace.

Images

Snowbird Mt trail #415 needs extensive help and winter would be the best time to clear it but let's face it, it's not a trail in any sense of the word. It's on my To Do list but at what cost? I'd have to camp every mile and go from faint tree blaze to tree blaze, inching forwards at an incredibly slow pace.

that makes it more intriguing for me

sorta....

that makes it more intriguing for me

sorta....
    It's a shame that 50% of the Snowbird trails on the map are unwalkable and unmaintained. Clearing 415 from Mitchell Lick down to Junction City would open up a stupendous amount of the Snowbird backcountry, as would finishing Sassafras Creek from the Falls/Burntrock Trail jct up to merge with 415---an awesome endeavor. Sort of.

Images

It's a shame that 50% of the Snowbird trails on the map are unwalkable and unmaintained. Clearing 415 from Mitchell Lick down to Junction City would open up a stupendous amount of the Snowbird backcountry, as would finishing Sassafras Creek from the Falls/Burntrock Trail jct up to merge with 415---an awesome endeavor. Sort of.

that's how i feel about the place----even though i got lost there...

the end of sassafras creek has been on my mind since i camped at the site right at the intersectin with burnt rock ridge trail....

one thing im really worried about though, in that area, is if ill run into anyone thats on an ATV or something like that.....and doesnt want me to be back in there....

Three consecutive zeros...know no such beast.

Any stink, stank, stunk, with your new Pat Thermal? I haven't washed my yet after three wearings on hikes. It's still calean and odor free.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Three consecutive zeros...know no such beast.

Any stink, stank, stunk, with your new Pat Thermal? I haven't washed my yet after three wearings on hikes. It's still calean and odor free.
    I went with 3 layers of capilene on this trip with the Thermal weight being the outer of the three. There's some stank on my North Face nylon t-shirt but not much with the capilene although more than with my old merinos of course.

Really like the camp fire picture at sunset, has a nice glow to it giving me a warm glow myself. Also your saw handle fooled me at first, it looks like a red eyed black bird sittin' there. Always nice to see and read your comings and goings Tipi.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Really like the camp fire picture at sunset, has a nice glow to it giving me a warm glow myself. Also your saw handle fooled me at first, it looks like a red eyed black bird sittin' there. Always nice to see and read your comings and goings Tipi.
    It's one advantage to running into fellow backpackers on a lonely solo trip: They like campfires. I rarely if ever build a wood fire so if others do it that's fine with me, within reason. Plus, they are responsible for the wind blown embers and putting it out properly at night and in the morning before shove off. I don't want the responsibility.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++