WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default A Quick Exit Out of the Rat Race

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some life experience

I've been working in a career I love for five years after graduating with my Bachelor's. While I like my career and my industry (software engineering), my work experience hasn't been on-par of what I strive for in life (greatness). I decided to join a Master's program, and full time work + school has been rough, but quite rewarding. I'll be graduating in May and I'm ready for a new challenge, a.k.a, the Appalachian Trail. This idea came up in the bar, after class, as another student was telling me about his experience with the trail. I went home, did some research, and became committed to the idea.

The Appalachian Trail has a few purposes for me:
    • Physical challenge - I'm in good shape, but 2080 miles of good shape? I suppose I'll find out.
    • Mental challenge - As a young adult, I always had the idea of living in my grandpa's dome, in the woods, away from everyone else... all alone. I think going SOBO will give me plenty of alone time also, as I've grown older, I've become more extroverted, so I no longer want to live alone, but I still would like to see how much alone time I can handle.
    • EXIT the Rat Race - Go to school, get a job, get a car, get a house, get a girl (still work on this one , etc. I never really had a plan, other than to always move forward and aim high. I've become consumed by money and material things. Funny thing is, it kills me, because independence and autonomy are what make me happy. Instead I'm being drowned by the need for advancing my career, status, bank account, etc. So, yeah, the AT may be a quick exit.

But how should I handle this? I have an idea called "the purge". This involves:
    • Quitting my job - Done: done, I took a 3-month contract job to fill the void to June/July
    • End my lease - Done: the landlord is ready to amend the contract end date to June 30th
    • Pay off credit card debt - Done: I just paid it all off today
    • Selling my car - I made a good downpayment on a 2012 Subaru Legacy in 2011. If I sold the car today, I would be able to pay off the remainder and have about $2k extra.
    • Furniture - Yeah, I've accumulated a bunch of ****... 50" TV, couch, recliner, king size bed, bookcase, large computer desk, etc. Sell it all. Except maybe the king size bed, when I start life again, I think I would like to start with a king size bed
    • Cancel services - Cable, cell phone, Netflix, Hulu, gym membership, etc.

What does this leave me with? On the positive side, I still have my Roth and small investment account, five years of experience and a Master's in a booming industry. On the downside, I'm pretty much have no assets, $200/month in health insurance, and a $40k student loan i need to start paying off when I get done.

I laid it out. Any life experience would be appreciated here. I'm getting a little nervous about selling the car. I actually want to start using the bus for a 45 days, and once I got that down, sell the car. I have no problem biking once the weather gets better. Once I sell the car, I need to sell the TV and cancel the cabel/internet :/ But the trail... it's going to be awesome. I hope

Thanks,
    Andrew

Images

i think its a great idea.sounds like you could use the break to get some fresh perspective on how little you really need to be happy. you can sell all your stuff.its just stuff. you can buy more stuff after you return. youre young enough to take a shot, and you sound like you shouldnt have a problem finding work when you return.
    go for it.
    a simple life is a better life

Andrew.. you sound like so many other people that have been bitten by the "AT bug" and to WB...

You are feeling the weight of the $$$ that you are going to have to pay back. You are only 26 year old, just starting out. I don't agree with the system that put you there, at all. It's nuts! I can see you wanting to do something FUN for a while.

It will be interesting to see what others think or advise... that's all I got for ya.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Try not to touch your ROTH and your other investments if you can help it.

You're looking at 2014 to do a thru hike?

Hi Andrew -

You didn't say if you had any backpacking or camping experience. I think that before you sell all your furniture, and your car, that you go on several weekend backpacking trips. There is probably an outfitter in St. Louis that will rent you some equipment. Try to get somewhat of a feel for this big hike you are undertaking. And start doing all the planning that is necessary for this hike. It ain't necessarily an easy endeavor to undertake. Too many people think that hiking the AT sounds really great, but don't ever get out of Georgia.

Good luck!

Images

If you are talking June 30th, I hope you are talking southbound?

Hi everyone,

Sorry for lack of some details. I am planning to leave late June or early July, and will be travelling southbound. I think the first weekend of July would be great. I have little to no experience backpacking or hiking, but I am planning to get two 5-day trips in before the AT. I'm big into strategizing, so I expect I will have a good plan and understanding of the trip heading into June.

@bessiebreeze - If any part of the AT was associated with easy, it wouldn't be a option

@10-K - I won't be touching my roth until retirement

You guys are awesome.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Sounds like you have a plan. This is the time to thru hike. You have age, education and a point in life that this experience will only enhance your future. For those of us who have to wait another year or two to hike, please go out and seize this opportunity.

Journal Entries

Before you sell anything, spend at least two weeks on a rough trail, preferably in bad weather. You don't need much equipment. Wear the stuff you own. Pick up a pack and sleeping bag at Goodwill or the Salvation Army, and if you need it a warm jacket. Too many dreamers quit after a week or two of reality. The most common reaction of first time AT hikers with minimum experience is Surprise! It's not going to be as you dreamed it would be.

It looks like you've thought this out well and the timing looks great. You've got time to start getting your gear together and the sooner you get your shakedown hikes in the better. Borrow or rent gear before you buy it if at all possible. If your in a position to do some hiking training as well as the shakedown hikes, that would be good, but if your in good shape you'll be fine either way. As you jump into the detail planning of your hike, don't hesitate to ask specific questions here on WB. It's a great resource from people with a lot of experience.

I'm excited for you and wish you luck with your planned hike and your life after it!

Since you have already gone half way, I'd suggest getting rid of everything which can be easily replaced. Only keep that which has significant sedimental value and can store with a trusted friend or familly member. I learned the hard way that storage fees can add up to more then what the contents are worth in a hurry.

It's possible your adventure of a life time will only last a week. It happens all the time. In some cases only a day. Or it will take you on a completely different path for the rest of your life. Only time will tell...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    i think its a great idea.sounds like you could use the break to get some fresh perspective on how little you really need to be happy. you can sell all your stuff.its just stuff. you can buy more stuff after you return. youre young enough to take a shot, and you sound like you shouldnt have a problem finding work when you return.
    go for it.
    a simple life is a better life
    I don't think it could be said better.

Another idea would be to put your stuff in storage while you're gone so you'd have it when you got back. Storage costs money but it would be convenient not to have to go buy all that stuff again.

Glad to hear you're not touching the ROTH. If there is any way possible make 2012/2013 contributions to the max allowed. You will be glad you did one day.

Also, if you have a 401-K at your current employer, roll it over into an IRA with a mutual fund family with low fees (Vanguard would be my pick). Leaving money in a 401-K that you're no longer contributing to is a bad idea because of all the fees. (unless you're a government employee with access to the TSP plan, then leave it)

Live in the present - that's a great way to think - but prepare for the future.

Before I say anything else, I wanna say No matter what you’ve done you deserve respect, even if you make mistakes, you lovable. Doesn’t matter your looks, skills, or age or size or anything. Your worthwhile. No one can ever take that away from you.

Because of 2 divorces, I've had to start mostly from scratch twice, the second time in my mid 40's. At your age, you can begin again and completely salvage your life if you are industrious and motivated.

andrew, i recently quit a job of 22 years, sold most of my possesions, and gave up my home of ten years, all because i have a dream of hiking the at, my only regret is that didnt do it 3 years ago.
    at this place in your life many people will advise you to work and save and buy loys of stuff to fill your life with joy,
    , possesions can be a ball and chain that keep you from adventures that make folks like us feel alive,.
    my advise is go for it, you are young enough that you can pick up when you get back,but having pursued your dream you will come home with a better sense of what is really meaningfull in life
    , not just what we all have been taught defines a successfull life

Just go for it and have a great time. At 26 I had just finished a one year job in Iran and returned home with plenty of funds to do what I wanted for a year before I started my next career as a school teacher. I am now retired and 62 and will never be able to thru hike. I do do long section hikes and love it very much. Go for it and then come back and be whatever you want to be. If you pray it might be a good idea to pray about it first.

Ps.. My 21 year old son is in costs rica playing hippie this year.

I get it - just keep your eye on the big picture. Having a long range vision beyond today is important I think.

In my twenties I jacked it all in and wandered around Europe and the Middle East for a couple of years...it still informs so much of what I do...even today (Im planning a big SOBO section hike for June/July)...ultimately it gave me the confidence to take big bold chances in life and even move here to the United States...my wife and I arrived here with two kids, two suitcases...and two thousand dollars...and we are still loving the journey! Go for it!

sobo'd in 2011..left katahdin on july 11th...great time to start as you'll miss most of the blackflies...they're a pain in the ass...got a resource for you...i met a nobo in 2011 that did exactly what you are doing..ironically works in the same industry as you & had zero camping or backpacking experience and wrote a book at it called appalachian trials....trail name was good badger...real name zack davis...he can be contacted at www.zachdavis.com and on facebook at the good badger....he's a hell of a nice guy

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++