WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Food Storage

Default Food Storage

I'm wondering what most people are using for storage of food at night. I do not plan to bring a bear can since it's only required by law over a 5 mi section in the south. I think I'm more concerned about deterring the smaller critters from chewing through an expensive dry bag and contaminating food. Ideally, if food odor can be masked, that's most of the battle. I assume that Appalachian forest is not ideal for hanging food since limbs are abundant and short....da betta for da bears to climb...right? Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated

Two words...Ursak Minor. Critter-resistant sack.

Images

We use Ursacks which keep the small critters out. Just got one of the Zpacks cuben roll top food bags, will use with OP sacks and see how that works. The mice should have some trouble getting through the thick cuben.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I use an Ursack with the OP bags. I sleep with my food and will only hang it if bear cables are provided.

Lately I've been carrying one of those big plastic jars that protein powders come in. I fill it with my dry oatmeal and other stuff mix, and nest in other containers and bags containing other stuff. Initially some other bags and containers won't fit, but after a few days I can nest in all my food and after a few more days other stuff as well, like cooking stuff, and eventually first/aid kit, cell phone, whatever. Goes in bottom, middle, or top of pack. Not the lightest solution but I like it for now. Not bear proof, but critter proof, and it keeps most smells in, and water out.

Journal Entries

I have used a sil-nilon stuff sack but considering other options including cuban fiber stuff, though would hate for that to be chewed through. I usually have hanged the bags but may not care to on the thru at times.

Garlic
    Images

I've been using a silnylon stuff sack for over ten years (it's almost worn through now), hanging it carefully, and not a single bite. I'm glad I'm not a fishing person. Hanging on the AT was much, much easier than most other places I've hiked.

Critters are going to know you're there, and that you have food, no matter how you package your food. If enough humans have been there before you, they will have been fed before and will have lost their natural fear of you. So two choices--sleep somewhere the animals haven't been fed and are still skittish, or use our superior technology to keep them out of your food. I agree with the bear can and ursack-type approaches, but I don't think attempting to seal against odors is going to work--just an opinion. I've seen plenty of (other peoples') sealed packages torn into by mice. I've also personally seen the sleeping-with-your-food-in-bear-country approach fail (only once, though, a pretty good rate), and happily with non-tragic consequences.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    We use Ursacks which keep the small critters out. Just got one of the Zpacks cuben roll top food bags, will use with OP sacks and see how that works. The mice should have some trouble getting through the thick cuben.
    I have seen this claim that cuben food sacks are rodent resistant. Anyone know if this has ever been tested. If anyone has pet mice, you would only need to get some small wallet-sized cuben and silnylon bags, fill them with food, but them in with the mice, and see which one gets raided first. Any volunteers?

Quote Originally Posted by rhyolite View Post
    I'm wondering what most people are using for storage of food at night. I do not plan to bring a bear can since it's only required by law over a 5 mi section in the south. I think I'm more concerned about deterring the smaller critters from chewing through an expensive dry bag and contaminating food. Ideally, if food odor can be masked, that's most of the battle. I assume that Appalachian forest is not ideal for hanging food since limbs are abundant and short....da betta for da bears to climb...right? Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated
    i sleep with my food bag in my tent

++ New Posts ++