WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Walk up at Standing Indian Campground: Chances?

I am planning to start a NOBO section hike from Standing Indian Campground (SIC), near Franklin, NC, Saturday April 6, 2013. I wanted to drive in on Friday and overnight at a site in the campground but the recreation.gov reservation website suggestes that I have to book a 2-night stay to get a Friday reservation. I noticed that they seem to have many sites marked as first-come-first-serve walk-ups. Does anyone know what the chances are of getting a site on a walk up basis that time of year? Do you think that they would still make me pay for two nights?

Cheers, David

Images

Why do you have to stay at the campground? I think I would either stay at the shelter that is a few yards from the road at Rock Gap, or better yet, take the Wasilik Poplar trail at that same location down the hill to some decent campsites.

Where were you going to actually start the AT?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I agree park at rock gap and stay at the shelter.

You should be fine in April. I walked thru on a section on April 10th 2yrs back (Sunday) , campground was 80% empty.

You are right that Rock Gap makes a lot of sense. We got off the trail last at Glassmine Gap down the Long Branch Trail to Standing Indian. So in the spirit of completeness, the plan was to start at Standing Indian, up Long Branch and start the AT again at Glassmine Gap. Our first stop would be Rock Gap. Of course that is the long way to get to Rock Gap from Standing Indian.

But I have a new plan: Overnight at the bunkhouse at the NOC, shuttle to Standing Indian, and hike back to the car at NOC.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by maltbyd View Post
    But I have a new plan: Overnight at the bunkhouse at the NOC, shuttle to Standing Indian, and hike back to the car at NOC.
    That is a very good plan.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

If you take
    Deep Gap road, east of Hayesville, NC to the end of National Forest Road, bear right, there is (or used to be ) an area to park at the foot of SIM

++ New Posts ++