Default Hiking SOBO as a beginner... solo

Hiking the PCT has been a goal of mine for a while now. This summer I will have the time to attempt a SOBO thru-hike. Because of time constraints going NOBO is not an option, and I will be starting off on my own as I have no one who is willing or able to come with me. I am also a beginner when it comes to hiking. I would have had some basic hiking experience and basic map reading skills when starting the hike this June. I will also be putting a lot of research into the area, what to pack, and what I may encounter on the trail. I have already ordered Yogi's Guidebook and will likely read it from front to back a dozen times.

However, my question to those experienced in this area: Am I being overly ambitious and/or reckless?
    I understand that learning and reading something is one thing, and that applying it is something entirely different. Frankly, I am not sure how dangerous the trail is... I am not afraid, just prudent, I would like to be as prepared as possible when I start the journey. Maybe I should take some classes on navigation and backpacking? Brush up on first aid?

I would appreciate any guidance or advice on how to prepare for the PCT. Thanks.

Suggested reading: The Complete Walker IV and Advanced Backpacking

Both cover long distance well, from different points of view.

Also, there may be considerable snow on the ground in June, especially early in the month.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

A SoBo PCT would not be my suggestion for a beginner. The terrain in N Washington is as remorse and unforgiving as any on the trail, especially in early season. You will have a dilemna..... Your start date. A SoBo hike is great for those that can crank out high miles from the start. These hikers can start later, after much of the snow melt and still make it through the Sierra before it gets snowed in. But for "regular" hikers they have to find the balance between early season snow and a too late start that would cause there trip to come to an end or at least a detour.

Assuming a normal snow year and say a July 1st start. You can expect snow travel before you even hit the border. I assume you already know you can't legally hike across the border. You will have to be comfortable on snow, much of it in steep terrain. You will also need navigation skills because the trail will be lost at times, possibly for miles.

Other than that it just like a normal PCT hike. The biggest difference is that you don't get 700 miles of warmup before you start hitting the challenging sections. IMHO N Washington is more rugged and challenging with snow than the Sierra. Highly suggest looking through previous years SoBo journals on postholer. Go back several years and see if you can find data that correlates year with snow depth. I know 2011 was absolutely brutal for SoBo hikers. I believe there was only 1 or two that ended up finishing. Some earlier years had more hikers, many bailed early. You can see what their issues were and gauge for yourself whether this is a challenge you want to take on. Good luck.

Images

At least you're smart enough to know what you don't know! I'd have to agree with Malto's assessment of starting in WA. It could be done but depending on the amount of snow, it could be brutal. I might suggest dropping down to Cascade Locks and then going south. Oregon would be a great way to get your hiking legs broken in. By the time you hit the Sierras, you'd be good to go.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

It is possible that I may be able to get off mid-way through May and be at Campo by the 20th of May (give or take) and try NOBO, which is what I wanted to do in the first place. At 20 miles a day I would finish around September 27th. Bump that up to 25 and I will finish around the beginning of September. I could be stretching it thin, but maybe I should try it... if I can't finish before the weather turns South then oh' well, I tried.
    Thoughts anyone?

Images

Weather.....weather.....weather!!! Now you're talking just the opposite problem. Going farther into May to start at Campo means you'll be dealing with more heat in southern CA. It can be done but it's something you need to be prepared for and be able to deal with. There are some REALLY hot sections in southern CA. Doing them in June or July would not be my cup of tea!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Images

I started May 21st on a very fast schedule. Starting May 20th you will end up doing a faster hike than average since there will be less snow and fewer distractions. I would reco this approach vs. early SoBo.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

You say you can't start until summer.

When in the Summer? If it is June 15th, wonder if a flip-flop thru-hike could work for you? Start in Ashland and hike north enjoying the more forgiving terrain of Oregon and work your way north. From there, hike south and make it over the Sierra before the snow hits. Of course, this depends on the snow, but should be less than Washington using this strategy. Ashland also has the advantage of being relatively easy logistically, too.

Averaging about 20 MPD (a very doable pace for most on the PCT), you'd hit Manning Park on ~ Aug 5. th.
    Flipping Back to Ashland, you'd hit the MX border about 11 /6 with travel time for your flip. You'll be hitting the High Sierra in Mid-September.

These numbers were hashed out via the very useful site:
    http://www.pctplanner.com/

Could be an option?
    Last edited by Mags; 02-26-2013 at 20:15.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I will add a slightly different twist to Mags suggestion. Start at Tahoe on June 15. You would have some snow in all likelihood initially but once you get your trail legs, the thru hikers will be in the neighborhood. Then flip south. You would want to finish in early September in order to get through Sierra by early October. Roughly 1500 miles in 80 days giving you about a 20 mpd net average.

I hear what you guys are saying, I have been offered the same advice by a few other people as well about flip-flopping. If that is what it comes down to then I will not complain, but I would rather try to go all the way through in one go. I think that I will try leaving around May 21st and haul a**. I am not sure what I was thinking when I wanted to go SOBO.

Would it be alright if I posted my gear list for some comments and criticism?

I second a NOBO hike starting May 20. I started May 10th, and if I did it again, I'd start May 24th. It helps melt-out of the Sierra in a normal year. I personally don't mind desert heat, and if it's too hot, night hiking is kinda nice. You just have to remember to start in shape. If you think you'll be doing 25mpd without training, dream on - You'll wreck your feet the first day.

Go ahead and post a gear list. Just remember that with a late start, water caches become unreliable, and you may have to carry 6+quarts of water (12lbs) during a few stages.

FYI - I think So-Cal is beautiful. Hot (of course), but plenty of flowers and great vistas.

I agree with the flip strategy, going NOBO (or at least mostly). If you think you can move pretty fast, start at Campo and optionally do what one friend did (Sleepwalker) my year --- somewhere in Oregon if you think you're too much at risk of snow in northern WA at the end, flip then to do northern WA earlier. Alternatively look at trail journals and estimate where the center of mass of thru-hikers will be on your start date and start towards the leading elements of that, and then flip at the end to do the southern part last. Yet OTOH if your pack weight is relatively low and you're young, fit, and driven, then May 20th is certainly acceptable as a start date.

There's a real benefit of hiking with other thru's on your first long distance trail. It's partly social (don't underrate that), partly psychological. I'd argue you're at least slightly "safer" that way, FWIW. It's nice on occasion to share a motel room or split a small can of denatured alcohol. It's just nice to have someone to hang out with in trail towns (you can feel lonely in a trail town in a way that you don't on the trail itself).

And you can learn a lot from others. If/when you have some issues to deal with of whatever sort, folks on trail could very possibly set you straight so as to help you stay on trail. I'm not saying that you can't do it solo, but PCT SOBOs are pretty darned solo, and your odds are just better near the herd starting out. And unless you're *really* a solitary type, I think you'll enjoy the experience more in the company of others.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Quote Originally Posted by theGABE View Post
    I hear what you guys are saying, I have been offered the same advice by a few other people as well about flip-flopping. If that is what it comes down to then I will not complain, but I would rather try to go all the way through in one go. I think that I will try leaving around May 21st and haul a**. I am not sure what I was thinking when I wanted to go SOBO.
    If you are motivated, in shape and have a light pack, about 25 MPD could work. But it takes discipline. Not to say you are not disciplined,, but the type of discipline needing to hike 25 MPD and, more importantly, the knowledge to sustain that pace consistently usually comes with experience.

Without knowing your background, hard to say.

Have fun either way.
    Last edited by Mags; 02-27-2013 at 11:05.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Interesting to read about solo hiking. My wife is reading Skywalker's PCT story and is assuming that I'm going to hike with someone because of how unsafe the PCT is.

Which brings me to my question: Are there sections where hikers do pair up for safety?

I hike solo 99.99% of the time, mainly because I've never met a hiking partner who hikes the way I do. Though from what I read I'm more likely to meet someone that I could hike with on the PCT than I am the AT.

I'm fairly excited and am looking forward to this more than anything in recent memory...

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post

Which brings me to my question: Are there sections where hikers do pair up for safety?
    The High Sierra if there is an abundance of snow.

Not so much for safety (though, Forrester Pass could be interesting) but for easier navigation.

Have a blast. Some would argue that the PCT is the best trail from a thru-hiking perspective (I'm not one of them..but I know many people whose opinions I respect state that)
    Last edited by Mags; 02-27-2013 at 11:59.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Interesting to read about solo hiking. My wife is reading Skywalker's PCT story and is assuming that I'm going to hike with someone because of how unsafe the PCT is.

I hike solo 99.99% of the time, mainly because I've never met a hiking partner who hikes the way I do. Though from what I read I'm more likely to meet someone that I could hike with on the PCT than I am the AT.

I'm fairly excited and am looking forward to this more than anything in recent memory...
    I hiked most of the first half of the trail solo because of the late start and pace that I did. I had really intended on doing the second half solo but I ended up hiking with three different hikers, one at a time for the whole second half. Why? Like you I do almost all of my hiking solo and have no problem with that. But with the high snow year in 2011 there were very few hikers with or ahead of me when I got north of Tahoe. Of those hikers most ended up pairing up, at this point everyone was doing consistent 30 mile days and folks had pretty consistent styles. For me I enjoyed the company but it also was good mentally to have someone to share navigation duties. We had snow at some point almost every day from the Sierra to Canada. After a while it really wears you down.

as far as sections, the Sierra and possibly early season San Jacinto would be the places that hikers actively seek others to have company. Many of the hikers that went into the Sierra before me formed groups for real or perceived safety.

Quote Originally Posted by frisbeefreek View Post
    I second a NOBO hike starting May 20. I started May 10th, and if I did it again, I'd start May 24th. It helps melt-out of the Sierra in a normal year. I personally don't mind desert heat, and if it's too hot, night hiking is kinda nice. You just have to remember to start in shape. If you think you'll be doing 25mpd without training, dream on - You'll wreck your feet the first day.

Go ahead and post a gear list. Just remember that with a late start, water caches become unreliable, and you may have to carry 6+quarts of water (12lbs) during a few stages.

FYI - I think So-Cal is beautiful. Hot (of course), but plenty of flowers and great vistas.
    I obviously wouldn't suggest this, but due to loads of school work, I wasn't able to train for the trail at all and I ended up starting (on May 17th) woefully out of shape and the heaviest I've ever been in my life. The first two weeks were pretty brutal on my feet (I could feel them tingling when I stopped) and I got several blisters because my shoes were too narrow, but I was able to average 26 mpd in Socal (with 2 zeros) and 29 mpd (with 5 zeros) the rest of the way. The terrain in Socal isn't too tough so a higher average shouldn't be too much of a problem if you're in good shape.

With that being said, my baseweight was 6 lbs and I had no snow in the Sierra this year (tons of it in OR and a bit in WA, though). From what I've gathered, it's gonna be a high snow year in the Sierras so that will definitely slow you down but like Mags said, as long as you start in shape, are traveling light, and are focused (consistently put in the hours), I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. As always, YMMV.

++ New Posts ++