WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dragon Fly Stove Advice

I'm new to hiking, and planning a short three hike to test equipment and such. I have a new MSR Dragon Fly stove and using denatured alcohol as fuel. Following the directions I cannot establish a proper burn. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If it's the MSR DragonFly it's not an alcohol stove. You can use white gas (preferred) or auto. You can also use kerosene or diesel but I believe you need invert the jet.

Images

I always use Coleman Fuel in my Dragonfly and it works great! Denatured alcohol isn't combustable enough for that stove, that's why it won't burn properly.
    Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish....
    -Steve Jobs

Journal Entries
    Images

White gas only...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

#1Stooge,

In addition to getting the right fuel I would be sure to spend some time getting to know your stove inside and out. I have a MSR Whisperlite International that has served me well for over 20 years.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    If it's the MSR DragonFly it's not an alcohol stove.
    Yeah, alcohol actually might harm the seals and such. Not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    You can use white gas (preferred) or auto. You can also use kerosene or diesel but I believe you need invert the jet.
    White gas or kerosene are both good fuels, but you do have to swap out the jet. There should be two different jets, one marked DG for white gas, and the other marked DK for kerosene.

In a pinch, you can run on auto gasoline, but save diesel as a last resort. Diesel is very dirty and will clog the generator.

HJ
    Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving

++ New Posts ++