WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Mountain Squid is always good with the numbers at Springer. Maybe something to throw out to him to check on as part of his info gathering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I'm curious if any of the regulars at Mountain Crossing or the southern hostels have an estimate of how many dogs come "thru hiking" dogs through there each year.

I do agree with most of what you and Almost There posted above. In my time hiking in Southern new england, I can only remember meeting a handful of dogs that made it all the way up here from Georgia.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Wait a second, are you the guy that gave my wirehaired pointer a biscuit on top of bear mountain (CT) a couple years ago? If so, she says thanks
    Wasn't me - I only started carrying treats last year, Anyway on my month hike last last year from Kent To Hanover - We saw about 6 dogs who were with thru hikers and even more on long section hikes, also when we tented at upper goose pond there were 2 dogs with the ladies next to us, not sure if they were thru hiking..

Journal Entries
    Images

Still nice gesture.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

2010 Trailjournals...Cowgirl or Cowgal. Great example of somone who finished her thru, but ditched her dog in PA, I think. Dogs pads got worn down (Border Collie). She finished without her dog, who was kept by a nice couple in NC. This, I think, is the norm for most dogs. Then again, you also have Heald and his dog Wonder, Annie. Annie hiked over 15,000 miles on the AT, and was still on the trail at 13. This is rare for dogs, however, and should not be treated as the norm. Annie was Heald's hiking partner, period. Rare to see that, and she was the best behaved trail dog I've ever met.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    That is good info that I did not know about, thanks dude
    No problem, and people are mixed on using it. Some say it only is 70% effective, but that's better than zero so I go with it.
    Walking Dead Bear

First of all, I would like to say that I am a dog lover! I love to hike with my dog, and I'm not sure why dogs shouldn't get the same benefits and joys from hiking that us smelly, hungry humans do. I take my dog on short few day trips in the whites in NH all year. He does great and other hikers seem to really be happy to see him. When I meet people who are automatically not happy to see him, I just ignore their frowns. One time when I was hiking with my pups, a man who was coming up the trail climbed up a half fallen tree just to avoid a smiley yellow lab and a wagging mutt from Alabama. I have to laugh when I see this sort of extreme phobia... save the drama for the lama.

There seems to be a LOT more dog-hate than expected. I'm new to the forums and the AT so bear with me here... I'm planning on trying to walk the Marine Corps out of my system with my fiancé next year, and we were thinking about bringing one of our dogs with us. The dog and my fiancé are located in Sri Lanka, so it would be a significant effort to get him out to the States. I'm not at all sure I'm willing to put him through a flight yet, but for nearly a year in the States I think it would be worth it. All my family is in Maine, so that's my back-up plan if he can’t make it, but I hardly expect to out walk my dog who is a Sri Lanka street-pup-survivor-dog. Before someone bitches about flights and animal cruelty… when we picked him up he was all mange worms and fleas, eating trash on the side of the road, and probably wouldn't have lasted another week on his own, and now he’s happy and healthy and spoiled. He's also the chillest of the three we picked up that day, one is a screamer and one is sort of absent-minded and I think would wander off into the woods by herself. Gecko is chilled out, quiet, and well-mannered, and I think he’d be a blast to bring with us. I’m trying to find out about quarantine stuff, but I don’t think it’s that serious since all of his shots/paperwork/etc are in order, and it’s just excess luggage fees getting him there. So… we’re planning on taking it really slow, getting him used to dog boots/etc, carrying all his excess stuff…. And FFS I pick up all of his waste in a 3rd world country where I see PEOPLE ********** in the street every day, so it’s not like I’m about to let it stay on the trail. If I pick up after my dog, he doesn’t bother anyone, and he’s quiet… I guess I don’t see the problem with bringing (wo)man’s best friend along?

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    ...They are the bored youth of our country looking for a cheap adventure. They are the ones who soon run out of cash and go home. They are the ones who discover the difficulty and go home. They are the ones who decide that "this isn't what I expected", and go home. They are the ones who bring their dog.
    Well that sounded pretty negative. Honestly, if the "bored youth of our country" are taking their asses outside instead of sitting in front of a glowing box all day that's something an aged gentleman like yourself should get behind.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CKM View Post
    There seems to be a LOT more dog-hate than expected. I'm new to the forums and the AT so bear with me here... I'm planning on trying to walk the Marine Corps out of my system with my fiancé next year, and we were thinking about bringing one of our dogs with us. The dog and my fiancé are located in Sri Lanka, so it would be a significant effort to get him out to the States. I'm not at all sure I'm willing to put him through a flight yet, but for nearly a year in the States I think it would be worth it. All my family is in Maine, so that's my back-up plan if he can’t make it, but I hardly expect to out walk my dog who is a Sri Lanka street-pup-survivor-dog. Before someone bitches about flights and animal cruelty… when we picked him up he was all mange worms and fleas, eating trash on the side of the road, and probably wouldn't have lasted another week on his own, and now he’s happy and healthy and spoiled. He's also the chillest of the three we picked up that day, one is a screamer and one is sort of absent-minded and I think would wander off into the woods by herself. Gecko is chilled out, quiet, and well-mannered, and I think he’d be a blast to bring with us. I’m trying to find out about quarantine stuff, but I don’t think it’s that serious since all of his shots/paperwork/etc are in order, and it’s just excess luggage fees getting him there. So… we’re planning on taking it really slow, getting him used to dog boots/etc, carrying all his excess stuff…. And FFS I pick up all of his waste in a 3rd world country where I see PEOPLE ********** in the street every day, so it’s not like I’m about to let it stay on the trail. If I pick up after my dog, he doesn’t bother anyone, and he’s quiet… I guess I don’t see the problem with bringing (wo)man’s best friend along?
    First off Welcome to the Whiteblaze! I just want to say that you shouldn't take any negativity you read on the Internet too seriously. Lots of folks like to vent while they're safely behind their computer screens, but that's not the real world. The majority of the people you meet face to face on the trail are wonderful and are far more polite about their pet peeves than this site would let you think. As long as your dog is well behaved, healthy and under control, then you should have a great time.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by doobe01 View Post
    My problem was not that you have an opinion. It was the fact that it was negative and you neither answered the OP's question or helped further the thread in a positive direction.

My opinion is that you should move on and spare us from your drivel.
    Well since I'm kenneling doobe01's dog.
    Besides being hyper active. He's cool up to a point. He isn't leashed trained....dragged me all over the place. I shouldn't have to give him but a few commands but he ain't there yet....and he likes to jump/mount hikers..all females? what's up with that?
    He does sleep in our house at night at the foot of my bed and I love him.
    Just get him leashed trained, stop him from jumping on people and you might have a winner.

Your dog is a reflection of you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    It's a known fact that if you attempt to thru-hike with a dog your chance of finishing is around 2%. That said, most of the folks who venture onto the AT in the spring at Springer are not true thru-hikers. They are the bored youth of our country looking for a cheap adventure. They are the ones who soon run out of cash and go home. They are the ones who discover the difficulty and go home. They are the ones who decide that "this isn't what I expected", and go home. They are the ones who bring their dog.
    I have thru-hiked the AT. I spend time each year hiking various parts of the AT. I also am a caretaker at Upper Goose Pond Cabin each summer for the past 11 years. I have yet to meet a thru-hiker who started NOBO that has stoped at the cabin hiking with a dog.
    hardly a fair characterization of someone hiking with a dog. sounds like you're making a bad generalization. i stopped by and stayed at upper goose with my dog in '03, but i started sobo; don't remember meeting you regardless.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

I see that someone said above that if you choose to hike with your dog, your chance of having a "complete" hike are 2%. Just wanted to say that of the men and women whose avowed intention is to hike the Appalachian Trail in its entirety, the number of men and women who actually do so is less than 3%. So the presenceof your dog doesn't really matter. In other words, folks, if your dog is healthy; old enough (not a puppy); well-trained (i.e. will respond immediately to voice command, will not bother other dogs, is not skittish or aggressive around people); if you and your dog have previous Trail experience, and most important of all, if you're willing, without complaint, to do without certain things (like the many facilities and places that will be closed to you), and if you're willing to spend a great deal of time dealing with your dog's health, and most important of all, if you're willing to pay adequate attention to how your dog is interacting with other folks, even when you're really tired yourself......if you're willing to do all this, by all means bring your dog along with you. But in truth, for many folks, this is a tall order.

Quote Originally Posted by FatHead64 View Post
    Close - Shetland Sheepdog - sometimes referred to (incorrectly) as a miniature Collie. Sorry - Sheltie snob.

And Doobe01 - how does Gus like laser pointers???
    My boxer quickly discovered that laser pointers were operated by humans, and would generally stare straight at the pointer. The cats on the other hand, never figured it out.......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    My boxer quickly discovered that laser pointers were operated by humans, and would generally stare straight at the pointer. The cats on the other hand, never figured it out.......
    Could never get my Aussie to play with a laser pointer, even at 4 months old he just looked at me like, "Dude...really?"
    Walking Dead Bear

On the weekend hikes i have been doing lately their's quite a few, on easter weekend i saw seven, in the Albert MT area.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Nerd View Post
    If one did show up, would you let them stay there?
    Several hikers come to UGP cabin each year, that I caretake, bringing a dog. They are welcome to stay but the dog is not allowed in the cabin.
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I see that someone said above that if you choose to hike with your dog, your chance of having a "complete" hike are 2%. Just wanted to say that of the men and women whose avowed intention is to hike the Appalachian Trail in its entirety, the number of men and women who actually do so is less than 3%. So the presenceof your dog doesn't really matter. In other words, folks, if your dog is healthy; old enough (not a puppy); well-trained (i.e. will respond immediately to voice command, will not bother other dogs, is not skittish or aggressive around people); if you and your dog have previous Trail experience, and most important of all, if you're willing, without complaint, to do without certain things (like the many facilities and places that will be closed to you), and if you're willing to spend a great deal of time dealing with your dog's health, and most important of all, if you're willing to pay adequate attention to how your dog is interacting with other folks, even when you're really tired yourself......if you're willing to do all this, by all means bring your dog along with you. But in truth, for many folks, this is a tall order.
    Jack...After all the time you spend hiking and working on the AT, just how many folks with dogs have you met that you can say realy belonged there?
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Mountain Squid is always good with the numbers at Springer. Maybe something to throw out to him to check on as part of his info gathering.
    I saw at least 10 dogs start while down at Springer this year. I wasn't specifically paying attention to the dogs, so there were probably more. Next year I'll make that part of the stats.

Of those 10 that I did see:
    2 got into a fight at the FS42 parking area
    1 was a service dog
    1 was very small with the owner/hiker anticipating to have to carry from time to time and the dogs food all the time
    1 huge dog was muzzled but I think they were only out for a few days
    1 hiker mentioned that it was going to cost $250 to shuttle around the Smoky's (that's alot of Snickers bars!)
    another hiker mentioned a vicious dog at Springer Mountain shelter (that might have been the muzzled dog, but I don't know for sure)
    I also heard that a hiker turned around on Springer because their dog wouldn't stop barking at everyone (I can't confirm that)

Personally, I think hikers should leave their dogs at home. It is already a difficult undertaking why add to the difficulty by having a dog?!? Most everyone that begins a hike is probably leaving someone behind for several months that they will miss, why can't they leave their dog behind as well?!? Just my thoughts . . .

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post

Personally, I think hikers should leave their dogs at home. It is already a difficult undertaking why add to the difficulty by having a dog?!? Most everyone that begins a hike is probably leaving someone behind for several months that they will miss, why can't they leave their dog behind as well?!? Just my thoughts . . .

See you on the trail,
    mt squid
    My answer to this: Some people dream of hiking the AT. My dream was to hike the AT with my best friend; my PIC; my hiking partner; my dog.

I agree that a lot of dogs aren't cut out for thru hiking.. Just like most people aren't cut out for thru hiking. However, a select few were made for it. Out of the hundreds of people we met, only one person didn't like my boy. That guy didn't like any dogs, or many people for that matter.

Everyone respects my Diesel for what he truly is... A Thru-Hiker.

Hopefully we hit the PCT next year.. because he's as bored with life in suburbia as I am.

For the right type of dog and the right attitude, an AT thru-hike is definitely doable. I started my hike with my border collie Kelly, in 2010 and left her behind in Pennsylvania. Do I think I could have finished it with her? Definitely! If I had family/friends on the East Coast (I didn't know anybody East of Wyoming prior to my hike) I could have taken about two weeks off the trail to allow a good rest and recovery, and if I had the funds I could have flipped up to Maine where the weather was still a little cooler and the ticks not so severe. Financially, I couldn't afford to do the right things to keep my dog comfortable,happy, and healthy on the trail, so I made the decision to finish without her. Most people consider the only expense of having a dog being the extra food. Don't forget hostels and motels almost always charge extra, and more zero days are often necessary to give your dog the rest he/she needs. The more zero days you take, the longer it's going to take to finish, and the longer it takes to finish, the more money you are going to need for your hike. I found people were very receptive to having a dog on the trail, much more so than the people on this forum. Most of them were missing their dogs from home and developed an instant connection with the dogs on the trail. I actually think it was easier to make friends because of Kelly, and I also thought it was easier for weirdos to approach me because of her. Taking a dog definitely made the hike more difficult, despite the fact that Kelly was very good. I could drop her leash in front of a restaraunt/grocery store and leave a bowl of water, and she would be right where I left her when I came out whether it was five minutes or forty-five. I did hear stories from other hikers of ill-behaved and unfit dog though. For the most part she hiked right on my heels, sometimes she went ahead, but she always remained in sight and often came back to me if she saw someone coming in the opposite direction. I never felt alone, and having her along made me feel much more comfortable. I felt like she was with me for as long as I really needed her to be with me and I was very fortunate I met someone on the trail who cared for her like she was her own while I finished my hike. Despite the lack of freedom, difficulty, and often inconveniences of having Kelly with me on my thru, I have no regrets taking her with me, yet i'm also happy I made the decision to finish without her as both hikes offered a completely amazing and different experience.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++