WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User The Lone Trapper's Avatar

Default Looking for feedback on Eureka Tents

Im currently looking at Eureka Backpacking tents and i was wondering if any one had feed back on either the solitaire tent (I love the low price), or the Spitfire 1. any help would be appreciated

Images

i have the solitare. its like sleeping in a coffin. never any problems with leaks or anything.
    just not enough room to even change your clothes in.

I also have the solitaire. I agree with the above post. No leaks but not much interior room.

I have the Spitfire 1 it a great tent and it set of fast

Images

I have the Spitfire, I love it. I've never had any problems with it whatsoever.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

I used a timberlite2 on my Ga to ME hike, but that was 13 years ago. It was great tent and survived the whole 2000 miles, barely, then i had to kill it.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have the Spitfire & +1 on both earlier remarks, Great light tent, easy set up, never had a problem. It isn't free standing though.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

I have a Spitfire solo purchased in 2005. Very good tent for the money. Have not used it in the last two years because I've gone to lighter, more expensive silnylon tart tents.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have a Solitaire. Never had a problem with it. I admit its small. But if your doing nothing but sleeping then whats the point of a bigger tent. But I am looking at getting a lightweight 2person
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    But if your doing nothing but sleeping then whats the point of a bigger tent.
    Thats the philosophy I used on my thru; I had a Walrus Soloplus which appears to be the same size and shape as the Solitare. I'll repeat that changing clothes inside the tent is very difficult. The concern I would have about the Solitare is that it comes with fiberglass poles. Thats a deal breaker for me.

Another Solitaire user....no head room, but it's cheap, pretty light, did I mention no room...been a good tent to me, but at my first convenience I'll be getting rid of and going for something that is lighter, more room......but I'll work!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Another thing, it does get moist inside on frosty nights. Other than that, its basically an average but good weekender tent.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Eureka makes good, basic gear that is not overly expensive. There is lighter gear and perhaps "better' gear, but you won't suffer for making a purchase of a Eureka tent.

The $35 tent is definitely a great deal.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

2013 Alleged Thru-Hiker Chuckie V's Avatar
    No Fixed Address (Though usually found in CO)

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Eureka makes good, basic gear that is not overly expensive. There is lighter gear and perhaps "better' gear, but you won't suffer for making a purchase of a Eureka tent. The $35 tent is definitely a great deal.
    I did the PCT+ in '02 with a Eureka ("you reek-a") Zephyr (now known as the Backcountry 1) and it stood up to all kinds of abuse (but all the meanwhile abused my back, for having to lug it all day each day). It made little sense for me to carry the weight when I had slept under the Milky Way most nights anyhow, so I upgraded to a single-pole/hiking pole tarp, for a backup shelter to the stars. I still have the Eureka and it's great for car camping or motorcycle camping.

41P49CHA9FL._SS400_.jpg

I have a Eureka Zeus 1 Exo. Rarely used. About 3 pounds. $100 plus postage.

Journal Entries

The Solitaire did well on a overnight backpack for one in the group and I was considering it. I found out if you can order it from a Canadian seller you will get aluminum poles instead of the heavier fiberglass they sell in the states. I eventually dismissed it due to no ability to sit upright in it, went with a much more expensive tent (MSR Carbon Reflex), then even more with a cuban fiber model.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie V View Post
    I did the PCT+ in '02 with a Eureka ("you reek-a") Zephyr (now known as the Backcountry 1) and it stood up to all kinds of abuse (but all the meanwhile abused my back, for having to lug it all day each day). It made little sense for me to carry the weight when I had slept under the Milky Way most nights anyhow, so I upgraded to a single-pole/hiking pole tarp, for a backup shelter to the stars. I still have the Eureka and it's great for car camping or motorcycle camping.

41P49CHA9FL._SS400_.jpg
    Yowsers. A bit different than the 3 lb tent being discussed.

This looks like something Tipi W. would use!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

The times I really want a tent are in bad weather, and in such cases I want a tent big enough for me to sit up and move around in it and store all my gear. So I don't shop for the smallest and lightest weight tent. If all you're going to do is sleep in it, why not use a bivy sac?

I also have a Solitaire. while there is no headroom, I did like full length moon roof and the zipper that let's you stand straight up instead of having to crawl in and out the front. However, I prefere the MSR Hubba.

i've been using the spitfire 1 for the last four years. nice tent with no issues in the rain or wind. setup is quick and the vestibule has enough room for my boots and water bottle. my pack stays outside.
    it's not the lightest option available...not the heaviest either. i'm not an ultra-lighter, my pack with gear and food is around 32lbs. this weight is manageable and never seems to bother me much.
    paid $79 at campmor (it's a little more than that now)...can't beat the price vs. quality. just my two cents...i'm cheap!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++