WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by k2basecamp View Post
    I've used them but the strap that goes under the boot always breaks after 100 miles or so in the White Mts. Anybody know of any that have solved this problem? I had both break on the event intregal design ones I had.
    I just stopped replacing that little stringy-thing and they still worked fine.

I have hiked with GATORS down in Louisiana.
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

I started both my AT thru and PCT attempted thru with gaiters, and I lost them both early on in the trips when I forgot to put them back on after a break in the middle of the day. Neither time did I feel it was necessary to replace them. Unless I'm going out for full on winter hiking I won't bother at all with them any more.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

I've used them but the strap that goes under the boot always breaks after 100 miles or so in the White Mts. Anybody know of any that have solved this problem? I had both break on the event intregal design ones I had.
    Dirty Girls have no strap. They hook onto the front of your shoe at the shoelace and attach at the heel to a 1" strip of velcro that comes with them.

Only for deep snow.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Dirty Girls have no strap. They hook onto the front of your shoe at the shoelace and attach at the heel to a 1" strip of velcro that comes with them.
    Well that sounds good to me i hope they have plain colors - the zebra print ones aren't my thing

not worth it in summer on the AT. winter a different matter.

I always hike with gaiters, OR(Outdoor Research) Low cut most of the time except in Deep Snow then I switch to the High, just below knees version.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Hiking? No.
    Ski touring? Yes.
    Tele skiing? No. The ski pants tuck into the boot.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I wear mine winter hiking

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me go

Images

+1 Dirty Girl Gaiters

Dirty Girl uses a velcro heel attachment. I have converted all my gaiters to this mode. I use gorilla glue to glue a velcro hook patch to the heel of all my trail runners and/or boots and sew a velcro fabric patch to the bottom hem of the gaiter. No under foot straps to wear, break, clog with snow, soak up water and add weight to my footwear.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Well that sounds good to me i hope they have plain colors - the zebra print ones aren't my thing
    Oh come on, live a little! How about camo, or 60's pschycodelic?

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Dirty Girl uses a velcro heel attachment. I have converted all my gaiters to this mode. I use gorilla glue to glue a velcro hook patch to the heel of all my trail runners and/or boots and sew a velcro fabric patch to the bottom hem of the gaiter. No under foot straps to wear, break, clog with snow, soak up water and add weight to my footwear.
    You can save the Gorilla Glue step by buying about 3 feet of the self adhering velcro from Dirty Girl for about $4. That's, like, a lifetime supply and the stuff NEVER comes undone.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    You can save the Gorilla Glue step by buying about 3 feet of the self adhering velcro from Dirty Girl for about $4. That's, like, a lifetime supply and the stuff NEVER comes undone.
    Depending on the surface of the shoe you are sticking it to, I've had it come off after even one weekend - hence the Gorilla Glue. No GG failures so far after 100's of miles. Your experience may vary.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Just ordered a pair of solid olive green ones from Dirty Girl. They do help keep debris out of your boots/shoes. Also keep your socks cleaner longer.

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Dirty Girl uses a velcro heel attachment.
    For what it's worth I had a hard time getting the velcro strip to stay on my shoes (my fault: they are rarely clean). I haven't tried glue yet. Good idea. Thus far, for my uses anyway, the lack of velcro doesn't seem to matter matter. They work for me without the velcro. I have a photos of my very dirty leg and my very clean ankle somewhere. My walking style/gait causes me to kick up dirt (esp the dry/fine/sandy stuff) and the DirtyGirl gaiters help tremendously. Oddly when I run I don't need them -- just walking.

The only time I wear them is in deep snow, and I was always glad I did. Kept my pant legs drier and prevented snow from falling down into my boot.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

I will wear them occasionally in warm weather. For some reason, I get tons of debris in my shoes while hiking. So, they keep all that stuff out which let's me keep on hiking instead of stopping, taking off my shoe, etc.

Ryan

Images

Another only-in-snow wearer.

Yes, I get debris in my shoes. Whenever I stop for a break, I take off my shoes, shake them out, remove the insoles and let them dry in the sun, and even remove my socks and let socks and feet air out and dry. It's an ace way to prevent blisters.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++