WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Was planning a 5 day trip in GSMNP this weekend, roads are closed, need suggestions.

Myself and 2 friends were planning to hike from Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam starting this Saturday and finishing Wednesday. Last time we hiked up here we took a shuttle that was 90 dollars to Newfound Gap now they want 210 dollars because one part of the road is closed due to a landslide. We thought about taking 2 cars and leaving one at Newfound Gap, but reports indicate that US Hwy 441 is closed due to snow/ice. Anyone with knowledge of the area have any suggestions, or an alternate we could look at?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JoshL View Post
    Myself and 2 friends were planning to hike from Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam starting this Saturday and finishing Wednesday. Last time we hiked up here we took a shuttle that was 90 dollars to Newfound Gap now they want 210 dollars because one part of the road is closed due to a landslide. We thought about taking 2 cars and leaving one at Newfound Gap, but reports indicate that US Hwy 441 is closed due to snow/ice. Anyone with knowledge of the area have any suggestions, or an alternate we could look at?
    I would call the number below just to make sure the roads are closed to NFG
    For updated road and weather information please call (865) 436-1200. Once you hear a voice, dial extension 631 for road information
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

Images

You can also follow on twitter:

https://twitter.com/smokiesroadsnps

Yes Hwy 441 to Newfound Gap is closed from the Gatlinburg side due to snow/ice, and from Cherokee side due to landslide.

I'm not an expert on the GSMNP but if this was my trip this is what I'd do.

1. Monitor the twitter feed (or the number above) for the current road status.
    2. In the event the road reopens, I'd be looking for a shuttler in the meantime that lives N of the Park; thats a long drive for a shuttler who lives S of the Park because of the landslide.
    3. Consider starting at Fontana and doing an out and back in the Park.

Journal Entries

We did that section (but we cheated and started at Clingman's Dome) with very nice weather in October last year, just before superstorm Sandy went through and thru-hikers got stranded in deep snow. Lucky, huh?
    Newfound Gap Road is indeed closed and not expected to reopen until May/June of this year. See this link for additional details. http://www.knoxvilledailysun.com/new...rk-begins.html
    Unfortunately, there just is no quick way to do this. If you can bring two cars, leave one at Fontana, and drive around the west end of the park through Maryville, then make your way to Newfound Gap. Then when you're done with the hike, you get to do it again to get the car you left at the top.
    A better idea might be to schedule this trip for after the road is repaired. Sorry, wish I had better news.

Images

parking at fontana is a long way around to the north side and up to NFG since the cherokee entrance is not open to NFG. might try to park at fontana and use lakeshore trail hazel creek to AT then back to fontana. two hard days to silers and two back to the car

Why not hike north from Newfound Gap? Come out at Cosby, or thereabouts? Assuming the Park isn't under a lot of snow, or worse, ICE.
    Good luck!

Wayne

There are several trails north of Cherokee that would take you up to MT Collins shelter on the At.

You could use two cars and not need a shuttle, one at the dam and one at Smokemont campground

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Or hike a different part of the AT. Other great parts to hike.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

El Sordo
    Images

try hiking the BMT from Fontana to Bryson City or Cherokee and either self shuttle or call the folks at the Hike Inn for a shuttle.
    Dyslexics Untie!

I live in Maggie Valley, NC, east of the Park. It is snowing right now so chances are high that 441 may close.

++ New Posts ++