WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Hmm. I thought I'd responded to this thread, but it must have been another one on the same topic.

If I slam down a liter of water in a few minutes when I didn't start out thirsty, I feel queasy, and hike badly, until I've pissed out the excess. So "cameling up" doesn't work for me.

I hate running out of water, and I'm definitely a sipper. I find if I'm puffing up a mountain, a few sips of water makes my mouth feel a whole lot better, and with my Camelbak I can do that without even breaking stride. So I'll usually start with two litres in that. If I'm not expecting a water source within a few hours, I'll also fill my Nalgene bottle. (I carry one, because once in a while I use it for a hot drink. Recycled beverage bottles won't always take that. Also, if I'm filtering water, it fits my filter.)

Often lately, I find myself hiking in places where the water sources are a very steep quarter- or half-mile off my route. At some point it's less energy just to carry more water than it is to hike down to the water source, refill, and hike back up again.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Registered User LoneRidgeRunner's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Interesting thread... Yes I camel up, 1 liter is easier to carry in one's tummy! but I also carry potassium.
    I tend to drink lots of water..For potassium I carry dried bananas. I usually drink a considerable amount at water sources and refill my containers. BUT..If I am sure I will have more water available before I need it I may not refill my containers. But when in doubt I keep plenty of water on my back too. I would rather carry that weight as to dehydrate.

Never noticed a deer, squirrel, bear, fox, bobcat, or any other critter filling water containers. Figure I'm built enough like them to go a while and a ways between drinks without ill effects. My experience has born this out, though I'm spoiled by the abundant water in the hills hereabouts. When I went for a walk in Big Bend NP I made sure to know the precise locations of water sources before beginning. I also carried a liter which is highly unusual behavior for this creachster.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by aficion View Post
    Never noticed a deer, squirrel, bear, fox, bobcat, or any other critter filling water containers. Figure I'm built enough like them to go a while and a ways between drinks without ill effects. My experience has born this out, though I'm spoiled by the abundant water in the hills hereabouts. When I went for a walk in Big Bend NP I made sure to know the precise locations of water sources before beginning. I also carried a liter which is highly unusual behavior for this creachster.
    Never noticed a deer or squirrel ,bear ,fox and any other critter carry a backpack either, or need sleeping bag or shelter. Their big four weight astonishingly zero pound zero ounces. We humans spoiled our body thousands of years ago. It is just too late to regret.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Never noticed a deer or squirrel ,bear ,fox and any other critter carry a backpack either, or need sleeping bag or shelter. Their big four weight astonishingly zero pound zero ounces. We humans spoiled our body thousands of years ago. It is just too late to regret.
    Have you ever noticed you never see polar bears in sub-saharan Africa?

We learned to adapt and migrated because we were smart enough to figure out how to stay warm when we get cold and wet. We didn't spoil anything, we used the brains god gave us. Squirrels and Fox don't have that option.

When I fill up with water at a spring, I usually down whatever I am carrying. If Im dehydrated, obviously, yes, drink. I carry a 2L platy and a 1 liter Platy waterbottle. Its not really rocket science. Camelling up, I think is more for camp. I usually will carry a nalgene water jug that rolls up in my pack. I have carried 4 liters of water to the top of a mountain to make sure I had plenty for dinner, overnight and morning. Obviously when its hot, this is a good philosophy. Dehydration will be something you will have to confront at some point, probably more than once when hiking. It sucks but just learn from it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++