WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Good DC Area Hike

I am looking for a good DC area (specifically Annapolis) area hike. It will most likely be a weekend hike with a friend or two. I am 15 and thus cannot drive yet so the closer the better. I would like a hike with decent views and plentiful water sources. Thanks a lot

Are you looking for a backpacking trip? How many miles? There aren't a lot of places to backpack in Maryland except the AT, and that needs a car to get to unless you take the train down to Union Station and then out to Harpers Ferry. The Shenandoahs are good backpacking, but from Annapolis it would be 3 hours or more by car. You can get to the C&O by public transportation - but that is not that interesting to hike (better for biking). Western Maryland has a couple of nice hikes - Greenridge Trail especially, but again, you need a car to get out there.

I will be backpacking for this trip. I am taking a biking trip along the whole C&O canal with my boy scout troop so I would like to avoid that. Looks like Shenandoah is nice but a little far. Any western MD hikes?? Thanks for the advice.

Default Mason-Dixon trail system

The MDTS begins in Chaddsford Pa. and heads west through Delaware, Maryland and back into Pa. west to the Appalachian trail. You can pick it up at Havre de Grace just 25 miles northeast of baltimore. a trail guide and info should be available at this site. Since 9/11 there are some trail segments rerouted or closed because of heightened security around dams and power generating plants, so best to get the latest info before you hit the trail.
    http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/yorkhikingclub/mdts.html

regards,
    bill
    SEMPER PARATUS

Default Assateag National Seashore

Here's another good backpacking possibility if you prefer the beach when the hot weather hits. http://www.patc.net/hiking/destinations/assateag.html

regards,
    bill
    SEMPER PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by slabfoot
    Here's another good backpacking possibility if you prefer the beach when the hot weather hits. http://www.patc.net/hiking/destinations/assateag.html

regards,
    bill
    That should be Assateague. Barrier island hiking and camping can be an experience of different sorts. I haven't hiked Assateague, but have been on the barriers in southern VA (False Cape and Back Bay). Personally, I wouldn't go out there in the middle of summer. There is NO water on Assateague at the backcountry sites and the bugs are likely to carry you away. If you plan to go be sure of which area you think you are headed for. There is both a Virginia and a Maryland side to the National Park (no camping on the Virginia side) and there is also a Maryland State park. Regulations and conditions are different for all three.
    kncats

++ New Posts ++