WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default place to visit hikers

Anyone know a good place for parents (non camping) to visit SoBo hikers around Maine/NH border? They will be about one month into SoBo hike from Maine start.

Quote Originally Posted by karen0540
    Anyone know a good place for parents (non camping) to visit SoBo hikers around Maine/NH border? They will be about one month into SoBo hike from Maine start.
    Gorham has all the tourist accommodations you are looking for. It's also a good base from which to provide slackpacking support to your son. You could ride the gondola and meet him atop Wildcat. The following day, you could meet him on Washington, via the Auto Road, etc.

If you want more specific information about the town, I'd be happy to answer your questions.

Roland

Default tell me

Tell me all you can about this place. I'd love to hear what you have to say in the way of advice! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by karen0540
    Tell me all you can about this place. I'd love to hear what you have to say in the way of advice! Thanks!
    Use your Google search engine to look up Gorham, NH, and Pinkham Notch, and Mt. Washington, NH. That'll give you plenty to look at.

If you have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer, open up the following link to learn more about the trail and the towns that it passes near;

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Gorham is a tourist town with all the tourists facilities located just west of the AT crossing of the Rattle River. There are no national chains for hotels. Hikers traditionally stay at the Barn or Hikers Paradise (both decidedly rustic for non hikers, although both have non hiker options). The Royalty Inn is the nicest motel in town and is centrally located. The Town and Country Motel in Shelburne is a bit closer to the trail but is not centrally located for hiker services. The trail actually wraps around the town through Shelburne NH, but the accomodations are a definitely more sparse than Gorham. Dependent upon the hikers opinion of "Slackpacking", there are several options based around Gorham that you could help out with. Local sights to see are the Moose Tour which leaves the town common every evening. (they have over a 90% success of seeing moose every night). A ride up the Auto Road to the top of Mt Washington on a nice day is worth the price but its not worth it on a cloudy day. Gorham Motels can get full on weekends, especially around July 4th so book reservations in advance. The AMC Pinkham Notch facility is a good place to stop for AYCE breakfast. There is a laundry mat on Main street next to the Post office.

A lot of hikers stop by Moriah Sports on Main street if they need new hiking gear, they stock most of the thru hiker specialities. There is Walmart and Shaws supermarket just north of town on RT 16.

++ New Posts ++