WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Shoes?

Default Shoes?

Hello,

I think I am becoming OCD about shoes for the hike. I would love to hear what shoes you are wearing on the trail and your hiking experience along with it if possible. Last year I did the John Muir Trail in New Balance MT101. They were really light but didn't offer enough support and the Rocks and Roots made for some miserable days. I am assuming that Maine will be as difficult as the JMT.

I recently bought the WaterPro Manistee's by Merrell and I am feeling iffy about them. I really want a shoe that drains easily and has enough support to get me from Katahdyn to Gorham, New Hampshire. If possible I want to keep the shoes under 11 Ounces.

Take Care,

Jeremy

I went through the OCD period with shoes too. I am wearing the merrell porterra's the low cuts. I prefer a low heal to toe drop (4mm). For more support they have the mids too. I have also tried the montrail fairhaven and rockridge. I like both they offer more cushion and support compared to the Merrells. They just have a higher heel than I like.

sounds weird im sure, but im only taking merrel trail gloves and chacos with toe socks. on every section hike ive been on ive hiked in chacos. everyone else would get blisters,but not me.ha

Hey Jeremy, Are you still looking for a pair of shoes for the AT? I'm with Zamberlan USA and we're looking to sponsor a couple of through hikers to test our new speed hiking boot, the Crosser, which just received the 2013 Backpacker Magazine Editor's choice award. The Crosser comes in both mid and low-cut versions. Feel free to drop a line - [email protected]

http://www.zamberlanusa.com/catalog/...od=214&idcat=2

I went against conventional wisdom and wore Goretex mid boots last year...learned my leason about Goretex. The shoes were supper comfortable and I was blister free for the first two weeks but after staying wet for so long I developed some whoppers. I have knee problems that good cushioning helps. I have now settled on the Asic trail runner, supper cushion and comfortable, broke them in on the Art Loeb and Foothills Trail, now ready for a return to the AT.

Put on what you have and lock the door behind you.

I'm rocking The North Face Hedgehog GTX XCR Talls. I have the low version as a day-to-day shoe and love em. First day I had the lows I did probably 12-15 miles with not a single blister.

Everyone should have OCD over their footwear for a thru-hike it will make or break your hike! I had a tough time my first try at the trail and I ended up ending my hike after 4 days due to an infection in my big toe which required antibiotics...if I had done a better job in making sure I had the proper footwear I don't believe I would have had to leave the trail...take care of your feet!
    Valerie Bloomberg (TrailTrekr)
    http://www.trailtrekr.com
    567 Legacy Pride Dr
    Herndon, Va. 20170

++ New Posts ++