WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question 20 Degree or 30 Degree Quilt

For the last few years I've been a summer camper and now would like to expand into Spring and Fall. I've settled on a enlightened equipment Revelation quilt. Would you recommend a 20 degree or 30 degree top quilt. The goal is not be cold in the spring and fall and not bake in the summer.

Thanks in advance.

Depending on what you own now and where you live, I would buy in the comfort range that gives you a wide range and not a great deal of overlap. The idea being to add the greatest flexibility to your existing gear for your dollar spent.

For instance if you already own some 40* gear, then I would be looking at something in the 20* range.

David

Have you found that being to warm is much of an issue?

Go with the 20*. Not only will it extend your seasons into early spring and later fall, but in a pinch a 20* can work for mild winter conditions with the right clothing. My friend has a 20* RevelationX, and on our last trip the overnight temps dropped to around 15*, but he said he was plenty warm, with a fleece and base layers.

Like Bannerstone said, if you already own warm weather gear, there's no point in overlapping. Depending on where you do the majority of your trips, spring and fall can get pretty chilly, so you're better off with the warmer bag, if only as a margin of error. With quilts, being too warm isn't a huge issue since all you have to do is open them up a bit to increase dead air space.

I know hell make you a 25 degree bag...

++ New Posts ++