WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default hard boiled eggs for backpacking?

What is your experience with this? How long will they last? Thanks!

Images

It is cold outside so same as being in frig. great way to clean a shelter!

Journal Entries
    Images

Damn long time tape a few salt packets to the outside.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I've been getting mixed opinions. Something regarding bacteria layer and room temp. And I am referring to general use. Obviously now super warm temps.

Journal Entries
    Images

no way - its cooked
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Up until around 1990 most health codes didn't even require refrigerating eggs. Two weeks is an good shelf life. Even longer if you raise your own chickens.

See my signature for how much I adore chickens!

Images

Hard cooked eggs are great on the trail. (DON'T FORGET THE SALT. ) You can eat them out of hand, or with a couple of mayo packets and some mustard make egg salad. Wrap it in a tortilla or put it on Ritz crackers. Mmmm.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I would say rasty is dead on, two weeks is a solid window in 50F-80F, colder longer, warmer call it a week. The real trick as suggested by rasty is to get yourself a flock or find friends with them, fresh eggs will last a month without a cooler. If you want to be all UL about get a Bantam!

Journal Entries

If the shell is unbroken, they will keep a long time for sure.

In some countries, eggs are sold on the shelf in grocery stores, un-refrigerated. So is milk btw.

They use radiation to kill bacteria, and the unbroken eggs, or un-opened milk containers keep a long time

Cooking does the same thing.

For some reason, irradiated products arent approved here in the US.

But, cooking also removes a protective coating and opens the pores of the egg shell supposedly allowing bacteria to enter.

So authorities reccomend cooked eggs be refrigerated and only kept a week.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-05-2013 at 22:35.

According to many websites, "You can keep hard-boiled eggs at room temperature for up to two hours. After that, you should refrigerate or dispose of the eggs. If the temperature is on the warmer side, dispose of eggs after one hour."

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiner2:1432356
    According to many websites, "You can keep hard-boiled eggs at room temperature for up to two hours. After that, you should refrigerate or dispose of the eggs. If the temperature is on the warmer side, dispose of eggs after one hour."
    The same experts also recommend refrigerating hard cheese at all times. There is so much fear mongering with food safety. Yet at the same time these experts inspect 1% of imported beef with an average 10 minute inspection time for an entire shipping container.

Once the egg's natural form is changed, storage rules become increasingly shorter. When the egg is straight from the tap, it is coated in a natural lining and can withstand room temperature. If store bought, the egg is washed and then dipped into a mineral oil which seals the pores. The natural state is altered and it becomes a potentially hazardous food. I would be leery of taking a hard boiled egg on multi-day hikes.

I usually eat them the same day. I just had 3 last sunday on the cross country trail.

Fresh eggs I usually carry for up to two days before I made scrambled eggs.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    Let me go

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiner2 View Post
    What is your experience with this? How long will they last? Thanks!
    They don't last long for me, I eat them too quickly I boiled up 6 at a hostel and ate them in two days.

thats a good meal on the trail.Tap holes in the end with you knife ,and put them on a forked stick with some sausage. wrap blueberry bannic around the sausage .damb fine breakfast.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

I have no qualms about taking eggs on the trail, but I always eat them quickly and they never have a chance to spoil. Earl Shafer was noted for having some eggs in his pack..

For me: HB eggs, avocado, chunk of hard cheddar, and gobs of spicy mustard wrapped in a tortilla.. Mmm mmm

Images

It would seem to me that the OP is asking about carrying hard boiled eggs.

Interesting...

http://www.netwellness.org/healthtop...boiledeggs.cfm

With egg dyeing just around the corner, many may be wondering how long hard-boiled eggs can be kept before they spoil. Generally, hard-boiled eggs can last a week in the refrigerator. Even with its natural (but easily cracked) calcium-carbonate container, a hard-cooked egg is a perishable food, so it shouldn't be kept at room temperature for more than two hours.

Interestingly, hard-boiled eggs do not keep nearly as long as raw eggs, which can last three to five weeks in the refrigerator. There is a good reason for this. When a hen lays an egg, it puts a naturally protective coating on the outside of the shell. The bad news is, during the washing and sanitizing process before packaging, eggs lose that coating. But the good news is, processors replace it with a tasteless, natural mineral oil coating. However, that coating is removed when you hard-boil the egg. So, even if the egg's shell remains uncracked, it still is slightly porous and, without the coating, is more exposed to the elements.

Who's willing to do a two week old hard boiled egg eating test?? Cook egg. Leave on counter for two weeks. Eat. Hope you don't get sick.

I usually bring a few hard boiled egges as part of breakfast on every hike. Great source of protien. I eat them up within the first two days. No problem with spoiling over two days even in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by on_the_GOEZ View Post

For me: HB eggs, avocado, chunk of hard cheddar, and gobs of spicy mustard wrapped in a tortilla.. Mmm mmm
    That sounds really delicious.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    For some reason, irradiated products arent approved here in the US..

We have one facility somewhere in the southwest.... seen the video. they operate 24/7

FDA approves irradiated beef for school lunch

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/con...rrad-bkgd.html
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 03-06-2013 at 09:43.

Woo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++