WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Hard times out there...Be Prepared!

I'm seeing all over the Twitter feed of hikers having major problems on the AT this year. From a cracked spine and other injures to hypothermia, deep snow and rescues. Plus many problems descending Blood Mtn. Tough time out there. Please be sure you are prepared for whatever weather can hit on the trail any time of year. Carry maps, take a cell phone, limit miles, take extra food in case you are stuck an extra day in a shelter or tent to wait out weather and err on the side of caution.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

This reminds us that starting too early has it's own inherent risk factors and level of preparedness . Having SAR sent out for rescues in deep snow also puts those folks in danger, so think twice before hiking in bad conditions.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries

I'm just curious.....why do people start so early?? When there is a greater risk of bad weather? Especially people who have never back packed. Just wondering their rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingirl View Post
    I'm just curious.....why do people start so early?? When there is a greater risk of bad weather? Especially people who have never back packed. Just wondering their rationale.
    Except for now, we've had a pretty mild winter this year and last. In fact, last March was the hottest on record, at least in the Southeast. I went out with full geese and ended up needing my headnet. Right this minute the mountains in NC/TN and VA have deep snow, and it took Jan and Feb to get to this point. It was like birthing a baby elephant but winter is finally here. And thank God for that.

The early starting newbs generally have no idea what they're getting into as they sit at home with their gear lists and spreadsheets. Most attempt to carry woefully inadequate gear and clothing, and so a normal mountain snowstorm sends them calling for helicopter extraction or bailing to a motel. The rest of us go out in December and January and February and March and deal with it. It's just another winter with cold and snow. So what?

I believe most people who start so early - and this just my opinion and not based on any research - is that they don't know how long the hike will take them but they do know they need to finish up by October 15. So they leave early "just in case" they need extra time.

A few people truly like winter hiking and know what they are getting into, but that is the extreme minority.

I wonder the same thing hikergirl. I am a newbie hiker and there is no way i would start this early. The only rationale I can think of is either beating the crowds or worry of not making it to the end by fall. Maybe previous years weather played a role in when they chose to start this year. Just some ideas but not good decisions IMO.
    Mount Pleasant, MI the flattest mountain you'll ever climb!

Journal Entries
    Images

Yea Robins arrived today confirming the darn ground hog... its over.. in PA.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

2013 Alleged Thru-Hiker Chuckie V's Avatar
    No Fixed Address (Though usually found in CO)

We were all newbies once.

And while I don't know why a newbie wanting to hike the length of the AT would care to make it any tougher on his or herself, I know why I enjoy hiking year round, regardless of weather.

Just as there's often some miserable conditions, so too is there more peaceful serenity, especially when hiking in snow. I don't fault these folks for their motives or even their mistakes, but it is hard to accept when their failures lead others to risk, ala the SAR squads. I'd personally rather die alone in the woods than to have to call for help. Neither is a nice proposition however, so I come prepared to avoid both circumstances. It doesn't look like some of these early birds have done that.

Images

proper risk assessment comes with experience and mountain weather can be an unforgiving teacher.ive seen snow in the whites in july and be hiking in 80 degree weather 2 days laterr. the past few winters have been relatively mild, and many want to start early to ensure they can finish on time, because they are really not sure of their ability or what pace they can sustain until theyre out there.
    i remember last year the guy who was going to set the speed record sobo starting in nov, and ironically, if it could have been done, that would have been the winter to do it.
    you can still do all your homework listen to the forecasts and still be caught in a dangerous situation. my grandpa taught me when youre in the mountains to expect the best, but be prepared for the worst.
    be safe out there. and take personal responsibility for that safety

Some people find it easier to deal with cold than heat so they start early.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    The early starting newbs generally have no idea what they're getting into as they sit at home with their gear lists and spreadsheets. Most attempt to carry woefully inadequate gear and clothing, and so a normal mountain snowstorm sends them calling for helicopter extraction or bailing to a motel. The rest of us go out in December and January and February and March and deal with it. It's just another winter with cold and snow. So what?
    Yep, if you are using a spreadsheet then you are doing it wrong. I have no clue how much my pack ever weighs, I just put good stuff in it like 800 fill down so the weight is not bad (in the summer I can get by without my hip-belt on the day or two before town). Once you put a number on your pack you will be more tempted to make bad decisions based on trying to get that number down.

Images

Except for now, we've had a pretty mild winter this year and last. In fact, last March was the hottest on record, at least in the Southeast. I went out with full geese and ended up needing my headnet. Right this minute the mountains in NC/TN and VA have deep snow, and it took Jan and Feb to get to this point. It was like birthing a baby elephant but winter is finally here. And thank God for that.

I have to totally agree. It has been awhile since I winter camped in scouts, but I know what it's like and I hike year-round here in Michigan. Most people are more prepared to just go out, but don't have the concept of not being able to get out of it. You go out for days with no getting out of the cold or in a warm bed, it's completely different than normal life.

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    Some people find it easier to deal with cold than heat so they start early.
    Up to (or down to) a certian point. I like it chilly, but long term I belive it's easier to deal with the heat then the cold. And of course this is a damp cold, often right around or just below freezing, the kind of cold which has a way of getting right into your bones. Everything is cold, damp or wet, stuff freezes up over night and so on. Dealing with that kind of cold gets real old, real fast.

But I think its mostly people don't have any idea how nasty the weather can be on the southern AT in March or late Feb. It really is a different world which when you think about it, not a whole lot of people have experiance with. We try to explain it to those fools "from away", but will they listen? Yes, but with glazed over eyes...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

My husband started on The Approach Trail March 5 and is just tonight at the Gooch Mountain Shelter - he said the wind was unbelievable the first 2 days and now it's very muddy from all the snow. Glad it's going to be a beautiful weekend. HIKE YOUR OWN HIKE and may God Bless everyone on the trail

Journal Entries
    Images

I was thinking the same thing after reading all these early journals, One Major thing to know is that "The Mountains Make Their Own Weather" Respect It & this goes for Year Round, but Especially in the Winter. If you're starting this early, like others have said prepare for the worse, carry extra emergency gear & food & prepare to shack up for days on end off the Mountains if a storm decides to hang around. Be on the look out for others in trouble & don't hesitate to give advise in rough conditions. Wishing the best for everyone on Trail!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you get a chance, read the recent journals from smsinnh starting with It is official -on his way! on 3/5. I don't know if Sean is a Newbie or not, but I do know that his enthusiasm in the face of the weather he's been in is inspiring. He sounds like he's having so much fun!

As for myself, this Newbie is fully aware of her limitations....heck, at this point in my hiking career I've nothing BUT limitations...so things like daring the weather on mountaintops is not on the schedule. I'm just hoping that mid-April a thousand miles north will be mild enough for my lack of experience to handle.

1) Some people fear that it will take them longer than 6 months to get to Katahdin (by October 15th). Thus, they assume (erroneously) that starting earlier almost always will get you there earlier and quicker.

2) Some people are so darn excited and "JUST CAN'T WAIT". They are impatient and anxious---and "fired up". The want to hit the trail and they are MORE THAN READY to quit their dead end job or to escape some sort of "mess" back home. Thus, they plan early departures.

3) So many people just assume that all of the U.S. "South" experiences warm weather all winter--because "South" is where millions of people go to spend their winters in relative warmth. However, there is a big difference between an oceanfront area in Florida, Alabama, Texas, or Louisiana and a mountainous area of Northern Georgia or Tennessee. There is also a difference between being outside for a couple hours each day and being outside 24/7 (day-after-day) in late Winter or early Spring weather.

4) I have to echo TipiWalter. Personally, I am not against ultra lightweight camping. However, it is often safer to get your earliest experiences at lightweight (or ultra lightweight) hiking in a bit warmer weather. ALSO, many Newbies don't seem to understand that there is a big difference between "ultralight 3-season gear" and "ultralight cold-weather gear". They come to woods ill-prepared for cold-weather camping / backpacking.

5) Some Newbies listen to (or misunderstand) the advice that they are seeing on WhiteBlaze. When some Newbies see that other people are starting early they think that they should start early too. They don't realize that some of the people who are starting early have much more experience at cold weather hiking (and other people, who are starting early, are very inexperienced and are simply making a less-than-wise choice).
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

I think many fail to do the leg work and find out for themselves just exactly what there gear will do in regards to temps. I see all to often where someone will post a gear list, and others will say "you won't need gloves, or only bring one long sleeve shirt. Folks need to stop relying on others as the last word, and get out there and try things out in extreme temps, precipitation, humid conditions, and snow & freezing rain, it's the only real way of knowing just exactly where your deficiencies lay, and then make changes, pretty simple really.

Good post Blissful . Take care of each other out there folks.

Some folks do not enjoy having to haul ass for shleter space, deal with overflowing privies and the crowds that appear after April 1.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++