WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camp site around Woody's Gap?

The AT Guide indicates there is water here. Are there some camp sites in this area? (didn't see any or look for them when I sectioned hiked this area in 2010)?

After you cross the road NOBO, you'll see a side trail veering to the left, about 100 yds and a few feet downhill is a spring.

There are some campsites on this side trail or return to the AT and about a 1/4 mile uphill to the right is a campsite.

Yes, there are tent sites on the north side above the picnic tables, and the water source down a marked side trail is good. AS always, caution should be used in camping next to a major road .I would suggest campsites about 1/2 mile further north just before the climb up Big Cedar( they are protected in a laural thicket but have no view ). There is a nice campsite about 1/2 mile south of Woody Gap but you need to bring water 3 mile from Gooch Gap.

Razor & FD - Thanks for the intel. Just what I was looking for.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    Yes, there are tent sites on the north side above the picnic tables, and the water source down a marked side trail is good. AS always, caution should be used in camping next to a major road .I would suggest campsites about 1/2 mile further north just before the climb up Big Cedar( they are protected in a laural thicket but have no view ). There is a nice campsite about 1/2 mile south of Woody Gap but you need to bring water 3 mile from Gooch Gap.
    Hey, Razor. It looks like I am just going to have to wait until +/- Easter Sunday to begin my hike. Please relay that message to that lady from Brenham. Thanks so much for that and for the info about the thicket beyond ig Cedar.--Kinnickinic

=/- Easter
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

After you cross the highway to Suches at Woody Gap, walk about 30 feet beyond the toilet and look up to your right. You should notice two things. 1- there is a large flat area probably by now full of small saplings to your right and a bit beyond where you're standing, there is a trail that leads UP and around this 'horseshoe' shaped area. 2- Above that on the ridge is a flat space for tenting. If you walk up and around that tenting area and keep walking toward the highway [you'll be above it], you'll come to a nice flat area overlooking the picnic tables and the parking area. Few people even look up to notice if you camp up there, especially if you set up far enough back so that you can't be observed. Just watch out for any widow-makers ... the last time I was there, there were some old dead limbs on the trees.

When I camped there, I went and got my water first and brought it back to the picnic table, ate my dinner, and then walked up and around and set up my stealth camp ... and faded into the scenery ...

ALSO ... there is a nice stealth camp farther up the trail as it turns to the left to go up Granny Top, past Dockery Lake Trail. Instead of hiking on the Trail, if you'll look closely, you can see an OLD old old slight trail to your right that goes up and to the left and over a hillock. Just beyond that hillock is a stealth site with an old campfire ring [I didn't put it there, nor did I use it]. But if you'll look up into the trees beyond that stealth camp, you can probably still see the bear bagging rope that got caught on the limb still swinging in the wind. Carry in your own water.

Enjoy your hike ... see you on the Trail.
    Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Grrrrrr.... I hate to give away my Super Sekrit stealth spot but... On the Trail North side of the highway there will be two concrete picnic tables. Walk directly between them away from the road and there is a trail up a small bank. Follow that trail up to a flat spot overlooking the parking lot. Lots of people camp there, somebody has already recommended it but you'll hear a lot of road noise and be hit with the headlights of every car coming into the parking lot all night. So forget that, don't stop there. Keep walking in the same direction away from the parking lot. Pay no attention to side trails to your left or right, keep going straight back. In about 50'ish yards you will arrive at an old rock quarry with a giant clear camping area. High rock walls to the trail east and north, secluded, out of the wind, away from all road noise but those damn motorcycles and just great place to camp. You'll find a short trail headed west back to the AT, turn south to the restrooms and trail to the spring.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

My scouts (after much going back and forth) have selected Springer to Woody Gap as this years section hike. Can anyone comment on the availability of hammock camping sites near either parking lot? We will be be need to camp at a trailhead Friday night and Sunday night (after a run into town for dinner). It's a pretty good size group so we want to stay away from other folks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by goheelz View Post
    My scouts (after much going back and forth) have selected Springer to Woody Gap as this years section hike. Can anyone comment on the availability of hammock camping sites near either parking lot? We will be be need to camp at a trailhead Friday night and Sunday night (after a run into town for dinner). It's a pretty good size group so we want to stay away from other folks.
    So on Sunday you've already packed up and driven to dinner ... is there some reason you have to drive back to Woody? Would a nicer campsite nearby be considered?

Don't you hate it when people answer questions with questions?

I would not suggest either trail head for camping with a group. The Woody Gap has traffic and occasional problems with partying and the Neel Gap area is not large enough to support a group. Maybe someone here can offer alternatives if you list direction and requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    So on Sunday you've already packed up and driven to dinner ... is there some reason you have to drive back to Woody? Would a nicer campsite nearby be considered?

Don't you hate it when people answer questions with questions?
    I would be open to any place that is on the way back north. Any suggestions? Remember scouts are thrifty

there ain't no good campsites around woody gap

I don't know where you are hiking, but if you are going NOBO there is a flat camping area with water at Gooch Gap 4 trail miles S of Woody which you can check out as you hike by. Its just off fs42 and can be easily driven to - but I wouldn't recommend trying to find it for the first time in the dark.

And yes, you can camp at Woody if you want to.

Images

I would be open to any place that is on the way back north. Any suggestions? Remember scouts are thrifty
    Absolutely. Continue past Woody Gap towards Suches, stay on GA-60 past Suches about 6 miles until you see a closed gas station "Martin's Dixie Depot" on your left. Slow down.

A quarter mile past MDD you'll see a 'hiker crossing' sign and a gravel FS road on your left. Can't miss it. Somebody even conveniently spray painted "Swing Bridge" on the road.

Follow that road until it dead ends at the Taccoa River and the bridge . Been a lot of rain but last year the road was good enough for low slung sports cars. Great campsite, get water from stream across and immediately under bridge. Good fishing too. And free. Bridge and campsite a couple hundred yards from the parking area.

I agree with DWM thats a neat spot to camp.

Images

Search Google Map for "Taccoa River Swinging Bridge".

If you get to Skeenah Gap Road on your right and an old mill, you've just passed it.

The bridge is the pathway of the Duncan Ridge and Benton MacKaye Trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Absolutely. Continue past Woody Gap towards Suches, stay on GA-60 past Suches about 6 miles until you see a closed gas station "Martin's Dixie Depot" on your left. Slow down.

A quarter mile past MDD you'll see a 'hiker crossing' sign and a gravel FS road on your left. Can't miss it. Somebody even conveniently spray painted "Swing Bridge" on the road.

Follow that road until it dead ends at the Taccoa River and the bridge . Been a lot of rain but last year the road was good enough for low slung sports cars. Great campsite, get water from stream across and immediately under bridge. Good fishing too. And free. Bridge and campsite a couple hundred yards from the parking area.
    trail head (and road to swinging bridge) is 14 miles north of Suches

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I don't know where you are hiking, but if you are going NOBO there is a flat camping area with water at Gooch Gap 4 trail miles S of Woody which you can check out as you hike by. Its just off fs42 and can be easily driven to - but I wouldn't recommend trying to find it for the first time in the dark.

And yes, you can camp at Woody if you want to.
    Thanks to all for the information. After much indecision from the scouts, we are hiking from Springer to Woody Gap. Arriving on a Friday from Ohio and either camping nearby or doing a couple miles on the trail before setting up (after shuttling cars). Then hiking saturday, finishing up sunday. They would like to get a meal in Dahlonega early evening and camp Sunday night before heading out Monday AM back to Ohio.

Thanks to all for the information. After much indecision from the scouts, we are hiking from Springer to Woody Gap. Arriving on a Friday from Ohio and either camping nearby or doing a couple miles on the trail before setting up (after shuttling cars). Then hiking saturday, finishing up sunday. They would like to get a meal in Dahlonega early evening and camp Sunday night before heading out Monday AM back to Ohio.
    That's an awful lot of driving just to hike for 2 days. Head to Shawnee SP near Portsmouth, OH instead.

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    That's an awful lot of driving just to hike for 2 days. Head to Shawnee SP near Portsmouth, OH instead.
    We do hike in Ohio and Kentucky (going to Cumberland Gap in the fall). This is an aspiration trip for the boys to get them excited.

++ New Posts ++