WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Article About PATC Cabins

Here is a nice article that appeared in today's (March 8) Roanoke Times concerning PATC cabins: http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/1755...n-shelter.html.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
    Here is a nice article that appeared in today's (March 8) Roanoke Times concerning PATC cabins: http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/1755...n-shelter.html.
    Thanks for the heads up. Staying at Doyle's Cabin inside the park 3 nights later this month. 1st time at Doyle's, but we've stayed at Corbin half a dozen times. Great Place!

I loved my stay at Corbin. Range View was nice too, but kinda 'busy' because it's so close to the AT and has a good spring and privy.

Shameful waste to let a private club make this much money renting out public buildings inside a National Park. It a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    I loved my stay at Corbin. Range View was nice too, but kinda 'busy' because it's so close to the AT and has a good spring and privy.
    Stayed there three nights over spring break with each of my last 4 kids, individually, during the years that they each, in turn, had their tenth birthday. They learned to fly fish in the Hughes River, gather water from a spring, chop firewood, burn a wood stove, and do a fifteen mile day hike circuit over Old Rag Mountain. This past Spring was the last one to turn 10. Many great memories, bear sightings, and a few fishing stories. In March we saw very few people except on Old Rag. Cheap lodging and way fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerner View Post
    Thanks for sharing Southerner!!

Images

Yea, maintaining 1000 miles of trails is free. Along with purchasing land so those trails are there in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingbee View Post
    Yea, maintaining 1000 miles of trails is free. Along with purchasing land so those trails are there in the first place.
    Yeah PATC really needs to be ashamed for raking in all that dough. NOT.

So they pay the people to remove the deadfalls along the trail and fix up the the stream crossings in the National Park? Or do the volunteers do that? And what about all their other money grubbing operations? It's amazing that the "begging for cash" National Park service can just give away this money to a private club. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Washington DC fat cats who run the club? Who exactly stays in these cabins? It's not poor minority kids from the inner-city. It's Rich white people from DC who want a "true wilderness adventure". Shameful

Did someone say "Troll"?
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    So they pay the people to remove the deadfalls along the trail and fix up the the stream crossings in the National Park? Or do the volunteers do that? And what about all their other money grubbing operations? It's amazing that the "begging for cash" National Park service can just give away this money to a private club. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Washington DC fat cats who run the club? Who exactly stays in these cabins? It's not poor minority kids from the inner-city. It's Rich white people from DC who want a "true wilderness adventure". Shameful
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Please, shut down the computer and go hike, it'll do you a world of good.

Ok I get it, I say things about PATC and the cabin rental and rather than defending PATC you call me a troll and tell me to shut up. I wondered what it was that Fox News employees did in their spare time, Now I know.

Journal Entries
    Images

Our scout troop will be at Backburn Trail Center in a few weeks. It's a nice place to introduce the boys to the trail and worth every penny I'd say.

++ New Posts ++