WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2013 Thru Hike Gear List

I will be thru hiking the AT this year going NOBO starting March 31st. I will be documenting my hiking through my blog and posting Youtube videos regularly. Below I have the link posted to my Geargrams website, Youtube channel and my blog. Enjoy.

Geargrams:
    http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=7386

Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DDodds1990?feature=mhee

Blog:
    http://atcharityhike2013.wordpress.com/

Hey man I'm starting on the 30th. I hope to see you out there. Trail name is Jericho.

I skimmed your list and one thing that stood out to me was your 40 degree quilt and a down vest. I believe you are going to run into some very cold nights especially in the smokies. Just a suggestion you might need to prepare for some 20 degree nights and possibly lower temps in higher elevations.

Look at my geargreams link. I still haven't updated my blog gear list yet so use the geargrams for my gear list. I am bringing a 20 degree quilt and an Outdoor Research Down Jacket. Hope to see you out there!

Quote Originally Posted by JHG008 View Post
    Hey man I'm starting on the 30th. I hope to see you out there. Trail name is Jericho.

I skimmed your list and one thing that stood out to me was your 40 degree quilt and a down vest. I believe you are going to run into some very cold nights especially in the smokies. Just a suggestion you might need to prepare for some 20 degree nights and possibly lower temps in higher elevations.

Looking at your gear list it seems that you're not using waterproof shoes. Can you explain this further because i've heard mixed things on the topic.

Unfortunately, waterproof shoes are waterproof in both directions. Unless they are hip boots you will run into problems.

Quote Originally Posted by faxanadu:1436156
    Looking at your gear list it seems that you're not using waterproof shoes. Can you explain this further because i've heard mixed things on the topic.
    I wouldn't wear waterproof shoes. Waterproof means no breathability so your feet will get wet from sweat. Plus there is a big hole where your foot goes in the shoe so even if you had "waterproof" shoes, your feet will get wet. A light pair of trail runners will be dry by lunch if they become wet.

++ New Posts ++