WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Any 50+ hikers out there?

I was just wondering how many of you are 50 or older and have gone on an extended AP hike lasting weeks or even months and covering hundreds of miles or more. How old are you and did you have any of the issues that "older" people sometimes experience such as sore/achey legs, arthritis, etc?.

Same question about people who are disabled (diabetes, asthma, crippled, etc).

I'm assuming if you are elderly or disabled you would just have to stop to rest more frequently or maybe sometimes spend an extra day at your campsite to catch your breath and recover, yes?.

BTW, its AT not AP

There are pleanty of over 50 hikers. That is one of the larger demagraphics. If you don't hurt at the end of the day, you didn't hike much that day. Those with serious medical problems typically don't do long hikes or don't last long if they try. Those with managable illnesses fair a little better, but it can be difficult.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'm working up to my first long distance hike in probably 20 years, and have several conditions that would require an X in a box somewhere, but I'll go as slow or rest when I need to, and enjoy it.

I should also add that long distance to me would be say 50-60 miles in maybe 4 or 5 days, that's all i'm looking to do. Fer now!
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 03-10-2013 at 00:02. Reason: shaspellin

Journal Entries
    Images

Hiked a AT thru at age 66 years old. I was also overweight and not in great shape. I was also carrying about 40 lbs. I hiked slow for the first week. Averaging less than 10 miles a day. I took a "0" day every 5 days for the first 6 weeks. I gradualy got to hiking 12 to 14 mile days. after 6 weeks i lost 35 lbs. and felt good hiking 14 to 16 mile days. Gradualy replaced some equipment and got my pack weight down to about 30 lbs. I hiked the whole AT in 201 days. Never had any physical problems. Lost 38 lbs during the hike.
    Just take your time. Don't push your body and rest often.
    Grampie-N->2001

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

Thumbs up Old Slow Hiker Responds

When I was 63 (two summers ago) I went on multiple (5 or 6, if memory serves me well) 5-7 day section hikes on the A.T. Then, due to a personal injury which was entirely my fault, I had to quit for the hiking season.

Daytime temps stayed in the mid to high 90s, with temps over 100 degrees happening for several days in a row. Humidity level stayed at +95% the entire time.

Depending upon the day and trail, I was covering between 11-12 miles each day.......until temps got over 95 degrees...then my daily averages dropped down into the single digits. On several of the +100 degree days, I was lucky to cover 5 miles before giving up the ghost. Don't even get me started on the day I drank 100 ounces of water in less than 4 hours, and never had to pee...not one drop.

My Limitations:

I ALWAYS over pack. Pack weights were from 40-46 pounds including water and food.
    I have had asthma for over 25 years and when the temps and humidity get high, I just plain run out of oxygen and have to take a break until I "Catch My Breath."
    I am much more about the journey than getting quickly to most destinations.
    I was hiking "Unsupported," which means that I parked my vehicle at the trail head; hiked until I was out of food or energy; then hitchhiked back to my minivan for a resupply or quick weekend at home (in the A.C.).

Coping Strategies:

I hammock backpack which means that I can setup an overnight camp almost anywhere.
    I was solo hiking, which means that I could start or stop whenever I choose. If I got really tuckered out, I would occasionally do only a half day hike. Rarely (when I found that the heat was just too much), I would take a zero day at a shelter.
    On the hotter days, I would often take a mid day siesta...and go back at it once the temps dropped down.
    Several times I hiked at night (but would not recommend due to the fact that I really missed the scenery...and the temps were only 5-10 degrees cooler).
    Every day when I started my hike I would say to myself (I am pretty sure most of the time I thought this rather than said it....but who really knows?): The important thing is that I am out here getting exercise, doing what I want, getting myself fitter. It is not important how far or how fast I go. If I am having a good hike, enjoying myself, and not getting injured; it is a good day.

My advice is to hike your own hike. Be realistic about your abilities. Start slowly and build up your distance and weight carrying ability. Lastly, really enjoy yourself. Who knows when the last day of your life will be?
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Journal Entries
    Images

Almost all the 50 somethings are on the Cafe... kicking back...if we are not hiking or cyber hiking we are dying.... The bear's wonder cus we are a little slower

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by todd52 View Post
    I was just wondering how many of you are 50 or older and have gone on an extended AP hike lasting weeks or even months and covering hundreds of miles or more. How old are you and did you have any of the issues that "older" people sometimes experience such as sore/achey legs, arthritis, etc?.

Same question about people who are disabled (diabetes, asthma, crippled, etc).

I'm assuming if you are elderly or disabled you would just have to stop to rest more frequently or maybe sometimes spend an extra day at your campsite to catch your breath and recover, yes?.
    Older??
    I'm not "older"!!

I'll stay on the trial weeks at a time. when I'm not hiking average running 45-50 miles a week plus bike ride. Any time you exert your self you will have sore
    body parts.

Journal Entries

Husband and I are 50 and 53, respectively, overweight, but no other health issues other than aches and pains. Jobs and other responsibilities make long hikes impractical for us. Most of our trips are 3-4 day extended weekend hikes. We are gradually building up endurance, but 10 mpd is still very challenging when it includes any uphill stretches. I can hardly believe how weak my thighs are!
    I would like to be able to do the hundred mile wilderness and Katahdin someday, but it will have to wait until we've lost more weight and can do 12+ mpd comfortably. We tried to do a chunk of the White Mtns a couple years ago. It was incredibly difficult, and I was in danger of serious injury because my knees were buckling - I was SO tired, and it was SO steep! We bailed.
    I admire the fitness of those in our age group who fly up the trail. I wish I could do that. But there are plenty of people who admire us and wish they could do what we do. Yes, we catch our breath a lot. No, we can't keep up with the young folks. But we're getting better each time we go out.

Images

Seven years ago, in 2006, I hiked 170 miles north from Harpers Ferry. Granted this is a fairly easy stretch, but I camped with some of the same 20 something thru-hikers on the first day and the last, and it wasn't just one. I was quite surprised that I was able to keep up with them, not that I really tried. Perhaps it was because everyone was slowed down due to extreme flooding, some areas of the trail were under 5ft of water. Was a route-finding expedition some days.

I'm 59 now, planning to do at least 150 miles in early summer, more in the fall. Age doesn't have as much affect as you might think. Yeah, the young guns can push it harder than I can, but often times they don't want to. Plus, I can do a 20 miler here and there if I'm motivated, at least the second week that I'm out I can.

Regarding handicaps, I helped a 67 year old, legally blind hiker prepare for his thru attempt. He made it from Springer the Harper Ferry before he got sidelined with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. This was several years before Bill Irwin.

Last year, I was climbing a very steep rocky section in NY, was just about to the top. Met up with another hiker I had met several times that trip, he was heading in the opposite direction as me at that point. We were comparing notes, whining about how steep it was and how terrible the footing was. As we were whining, a couple of guys came over the crest of the ridge, one leading, the other with his arms outstretched, hands on his friends shoulders. The second guy was completely blind, and enjoying every minute of his hike. My friend and I felt like real wusses right about then.
    Last edited by Lyle; 03-09-2013 at 23:36.

Someone asked on a thread what the average age of AT thru hikers was, liked the answer someone gave, 40 , half are 20 and half are 60, not far from being a true answer, it surprised me how many older folks were out there last year. I was 63 last year and did the first 414 miles, 64 now and headed back where I left off planning to do the next 700 starting in two weeks. I have torn cartilage in the knees that gave me issues but I was still able to hike 20-25 mile days, including down days I averaged 16/day. I made a lot of mistakes that cause the body some pain, one was hiking too fast, plan to do the same miles/day next outing but take more hours to do it and eat better. Age is a case of mind over matter, if you dont mind...it dont matter. Hope to see you on the trail.

I will turn 50 the 3rd day on trail,what a gift.

The great thing about hiking "old" is that, if you have any problems, you won't remember them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    I will turn 50 the 3rd day on trail,what a gift.
    You goin thru-hikin Hairbear?

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule View Post
    The great thing about hiking "old" is that, if you have any problems, you won't remember them.
    that's funny!...

I think, I can't remember.
    Last edited by rocketsocks; 03-10-2013 at 00:15. Reason: No No it was, I remember now!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule View Post
    same old trails are new every day!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Unhappy The only age-related facet of my hiking

Is that I have to accept the fact that everyone -- including those one-fifth my age (I'll be 59 at my next multi-day hike) -- is going to out-hike me, both in speed and endurance. At first I found this embarrassing, as I used to be a pretty fast walker. Then I quickly learned to make this a joke -- talking about how the turtle behind me got upset that I was always in his way. Now I just suck it up and deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    Is that I have to accept the fact that everyone -- including those one-fifth my age (I'll be 59 at my next multi-day hike) -- is going to out-hike me, both in speed and endurance. At first I found this embarrassing, as I used to be a pretty fast walker. Then I quickly learned to make this a joke -- talking about how the turtle behind me got upset that I was always in his way. Now I just suck it up and deal with it.
    Atta Boy, cause when it comes right down to it...nobody cares, there just bustin balls!

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yes to several of the complaints of age you've listed. My plan is to ignore what I can, and "hike my own hike". I also plan to have a wonderful time and experience as much of AT life as possible within my limitations. I hike slowly....very slowly, but it gives me more time to truly appreciate my surroundings. I won't get many miles done in a day, but they will be "quality" miles. Besides, it's not a race and I'm in no hurry.

Images

Well, I'll be 65 this summer and still plan on a 150 mi section this April. That has been the drill since 2009, 100 to 200 miles at a time in sections. Usually start with 8 to 10 mile days and find that 12 to 15 is about my limit. Arthritis is not generally a problem at home in FL but when it is in the 30's or 40's I start to ache and hands don't flex too well. I try to remember that my feet tend to droop so clearing some rocks or roots may cause a stumble. I'm a type II diabetic so I have to be careful not to over medicate and drop my sugar too low. Last year I met a couple who were type I's doing a thru. The had insulin pumps that required some experience based learning as to maintain their levels in varying terrain and exertion. I did hear that they made it to Maine. Also, two gals in their mid 50's were doing a thru while managing their asthma conditions. Lots of people out there with some sort of condition make it to Maine. Good luck.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++