WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Journal Entries

53 here planning a thru hike between now and 2018.
    Blackheart

Images

51 here...backpacked one weekend to satisfy a college PE requirement, then none until I was 51. Now I am hooked!

Going to spend our first anniversary next month doing a 2 night, 3 day Grayson Highlands trip.

67 here, I'll attempt the Long Trail E2E again this July, and the AT in a couple years

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    I'm turning 51 this month, though my body doesn't seem know that. I've done several ten-day excursions, but it's hard for me to work more than that into my schedule due to employment and such. I don't notice any difference between myself now and myself at 25 in terms of energy or physical ability. People keep telling me that I'm going to "feel it when you get old" but not so far. No arthritis, no back/knee problems, nothing. I'm ridiculously fit and healthy, especially for a half-century-old woman.

I know, I suck and you all hate me. That's okay
    i don't hate you...but you know, now you are gonna wake up tomorrow with knees the size of texas, needing to wear a diaper and a hover round parked next to your bed

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy bear View Post
    i don't hate you...but you know, now you are gonna wake up tomorrow with knees the size of texas, needing to wear a diaper and a hover round parked next to your bed
    Heh...I just got back from a week of scuba diving in Belize, and a week in Florida learning how to fly a powered paraglider. The instructor told me that I was "too old" to learn how to foot-launch carrying a heavy motor on my back but I disabused him of that notion pretty quickly. Barring some sort of accident, I don't think I'll slow down any time soon.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Journal Entries
    Images

I will be 71 in June. Hiking SOBO @ 7/1.

Images

Completed my first AT thru when I was 51. Since then I've done 2 additonal AT thrus and a PCT thru. Also biked across the US three times. Age is just a state of mind. If you think you can't do it, you can't. I always chuckle when I go past a 20 something on the uphill climbs. Headed back to the PCT in April for another go. Can't wait for it.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Images

Awesome Moose! Would love to be doing that many trails and thru-hikes, but alas, I have to keep working. Maybe when I am 75! lol

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Flash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gizzy bear View Post
    Heh...I just got back from a week of scuba diving in Belize, and a week in Florida learning how to fly a powered paraglider. The instructor told me that I was "too old" to learn how to foot-launch carrying a heavy motor on my back but I disabused him of that notion pretty quickly. Barring some sort of accident, I don't think I'll slow down any time soon.
    Lol!!! You take "loving yourself" to a whole other level!! I would give you props... But you already did...

Images

I did my 1st AT thruhike at age 53 and my 2nd AT thruhike at age 54. I may end up doing my 3rd one SOBO this year at age 56.
    I was faster than some and slower than others. I did not have any "age- related" issues than I was aware of. But then I probably wasn't aware of a lot of things.

What were we talking about?
    AT x 3
    GA-ME 2010
    GA-ME 2011
    ME-GA 2013

Hi there....50+ here and not looking back. The outdoors keeps me going...and finally getting to start my thru-hike in late March of 2015. Got all the blessings and sign-offs from spouse and job. LOL.

Will be 58 next month. Will keep walking a lot getting ready for my thru, 3 to 4 years out. It's better out there.

1 am 53 and diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease on 50th birthday. Planning to do a SOBO in June 2014 with my 24 yearold sonson. Of course our problem will be I am too slow for him and he will be too old for me....should be able to work that out though.....since I will be holding the money....

I am 53 and diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease on 50th birthday. Planning to do a SOBO in June 2014 with my 24 yearold son. Of course our problem will be I am too slow for him and he will be too fast for me....should be able to work that out though.....since I will be holding the money....

Recently I've only been able to do weekend outings, which is unfortunate as that isn't enough time to really get you into shape. On my last outing, I woke up in the middle of the night and realized I couldn't see anything. I figured I had either suddenly lost all vision or it was just completely dark (something you don't eve experience at home). I assumed it was the later, but to prove the fact I had to turn on my light, which I left hanging from the peak of my tent. Unfortunately, to reach the light I would have to sit up and I realized that I was so sore from the first day of hiking, that just reaching the light that was a foot out of reach was going to be excruciatingly painful. So I probably laid there for 15 minutes trying to decide which was worse; the pain of sitting up or the fear of being blind. I eventually decided I was being stupid, bit the bullet, sat up and turned on my light. Indeed it was just really dark (and very painful).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by todd52 View Post
    I was just wondering how many of you are 50 or older and have gone on an extended AP hike
    I'm 51... I built an entire 2-stroy house by myself over the last year (we move in next week). A 2,000 mile hike would be relatively simple and easy compared to what I just did. And I say that as a guy that walked 1,000 miles of the AT by the time I was 16 years old.

Ibuprofin and a Neoair are your friends for the over 50 crowd...

Images

50 is the new 30!!!!

..... At least I hope so, cuz I'll be there in a couple years

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

At the ripe old age of 51, after having 4 heart attacks and getting 7 stents, I am planning on a section hike in June. Have not backpacked in 36 years. Been exercising and working my way up. Planning on doing an 18 mile and 25 mile trip here close too home as a part of my training. If all goes well I plan on another section hike in September.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    When I hiked the AT at age 51, I felt like I was in better shape (for long-distance hiking) than I was at age 25. I'm not all that sure I could have handled the mental and physical rigors of a long hike when I was younger. I liken it to marathon runners--it seems that many start running marathons in their 30s and into their 50s.

I was able to draw from a lifetime of backcountry experience to stay warm, dry, and healthy out there, and actually spent a larger percentage of time on the Trail than many younger hikers. There were times I was out there alone in storms, for instance, when others bailed into towns. I ate better and took better care of skin issues than I would have if I were younger.

It was also nice to have the financial resources of older age, though I didn't need it. My hike ended up being cheaper than most, because of aforesaid experience in staying out on the trail. But if I wanted an expensive salad, or really needed a motel room, I got it.

I really respect the younger folks who make it--it seems they actually have a harder time in some respects.
    Well Said!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Likes2travel View Post
    At the ripe old age of 51, after having 4 heart attacks and getting 7 stents, I am planning on a section hike in June. Have not backpacked in 36 years. Been exercising and working my way up. Planning on doing an 18 mile and 25 mile trip here close too home as a part of my training. If all goes well I plan on another section hike in September.
    Good for you! I admire you for making this U-turn from a life that would probably be abbreviated, to a new long life of health and strength. 51 is way too young for what you've experienced. I hope you are successful in your efforts at transformation.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++