WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sawyer PointOne? Is it as good as they say?

I plan on using the Sawyer PointOne in early June around the Great Smoky Mountain/Cherokee National Forest area, but am unsure of it's reliability. I've heard that this is one of the top water filtration products but question the credibility as it's not a purifier. Has anyone consistantly used this product heavily? Has anyone gotten sick that has used this product? Are there any additional recommendations for using this product?

Journal Entries

The term 'purifier' I believe refers to antiviral, which most filters do not do. Virus from water sources in the US is not a big concern as the risk is very small. The filter should be fine at removing silt, bacteria, fungi and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    The term 'purifier' I believe refers to antiviral, which most filters do not do. Virus from water sources in the US is not a big concern as the risk is very small. The filter should be fine at removing silt, bacteria, fungi and the like.
    And Giardia and other protozoan cysts.

Quote Originally Posted by tarjav83 View Post
    ...I've heard that this is one of the top water filtration products but question the credibility as it's not a purifier. ...
    They have very good technical data on their web site and they never claim the zero point one filter to be a purifier so I see no reason to question their credibility. It should remove all pathogens except viruses and conventional wisdom holds that they are not so much a concern for water in North America. If you are concerned about viruses, they do make a zero point two filter that has a pore size small enough to remove viruses and thus qualifies as a purifier. But it will be more expensive, slower, and heavier. Or you could use UV, chemicals or boiling. Each has its advantages and limitations.

++ New Posts ++