WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

And, it's not like you can just bypass the G.S.M.N.P. because it runs right through the middle of the trail (unless you are sectioning, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by todd52 View Post
    The whole G.S.M.N.P. permit thing seems like a pain. I mean, you have to make reservations, pay a fee, get a permit/license in advance and then what happens if the shelters are all full (but yet you are required to stay in them)?. Are you supposed to wait another year and then try again hoping some vacancies will be open?. What if I want to tent instead to avoid snoring, other things?.
    In my case, and I hope my friend understands, I have no problem bypassing G.S.M.N.P. entirely. I can call my daughter and have her shuttle us around the Park. Do that bit another time.

Wayne

The whole G.S.M.N.P. permit thing seems like a pain. I mean, you have to make reservations, pay a fee, get a permit/license in advance and then what happens if the shelters are all full (but yet you are required to stay in them)?. Are you supposed to wait another year and then try again hoping some vacancies will be open?. What if I want to tent instead to avoid snoring, other things?.
    If you are a thruhiker (both start and end 50 miles from each end of the park) you will get a permit even if the shelters are full. If there is space you have to stay in the shelter. If full, you are allowed to camp in the vicinity of the shelter.

If you are a section hiker you need a reservation for each nite in the park. If a shelter is full you will need to change your planned itenerary.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    In my case, and I hope my friend understands, I have no problem bypassing G.S.M.N.P. entirely. I can call my daughter and have her shuttle us around the Park. Do that bit another time.

Wayne
    Why would you want to do that? If you are a thru hiker going thru the GSMNP is as easy as it gets. Its when you are a section hiker that its a PITA.

Full shelters in the Smokies are this thrus dream.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

The thru-hike permit still seems like a pain but not as much as a permit for sectioning. I wonder what happens though if you plan, pack and fully intend to do a thru-hike but for whatever reason you are unable to continue your hike through the GSMNP. Do you have to file a report and say "yeah, well I know I said I was a thru-hiker but...um...it just didn't work out that way". Just sounds like a huge hassle to me. Also, I think it would be a royal pain to have to make reservation, get a permit, pay a fee, etc in advance for every shelter (if you are a sectioner).

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Todd, get the ThruHikers Companion! Most of your mysteries will be revealed to you. You want this on trail guide for planning purposes anyway. Do it! NOW!
    LOL.. I can really read the urgency in your post! I'm rolling on the floor laughing.....

NOW!!! Ahhh haha!! *Gaining Composure* It's good advise!

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Full shelters in the Smokies are this thrus dream.
    I was wondering how you were going to handle that?
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Journal Entries

The thru-hike permit still seems like a pain but not as much as a permit for sectioning. I wonder what happens though if you plan, pack and fully intend to do a thru-hike but for whatever reason you are unable to continue your hike through the GSMNP. Do you have to file a report and say "yeah, well I know I said I was a thru-hiker but...um...it just didn't work out that way". Just sounds like a huge hassle to me. Also, I think it would be a royal pain to have to make reservation, get a permit, pay a fee, etc in advance for every shelter (if you are a sectioner).
    Todd, we made a point to section the Smokies (in two parts) last year BEFORE the new system went into effect. So far as I know, the only real differences to a section hiker with the new system are that the reservation system is online (HUGE improvement!) and there is a fee. We called the backcountry reservation office, told them where we wanted to go and when, and they told us what AT shelters had space during that time frame. We adjusted our itinerary to that information and they gave us a reservation number. One permit, one reservation, one phone call (when they finally answered) for the whole trip.

If you start out doing a thru-hike, and cannot complete the Smokies for some reason, that's no problem. From what I've read here on WhiteBlaze, you have 7 or 8 days to complete the park, and if you're unsuccessful due to injury, weather, or similar reason, there won't be a ranger at the other end writing you a ticket because you took 9 days.

Please confirm to us that you have ordered the Companion so we can stop worrying about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I also stayed at Greymoor pavilion but I tented in the grass next to it because of the mosquitoes.
    When I stayed at Greymoor I hung my hammock in the soccer goal.

DSCN2118.JPG
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

I began avoiding shelters in the early '00s when reading about the prevalence of deer tick carrying mice there. I sometimes use them in the winter, usually only with groups who like staying in them, but, as you can see from the picture to the left, I usually (almost always) hang my hammock to keep the little pests away.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/

I use this link when looking at distances
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Todd, the griping about permits here on WB is mostly overlblown (just like the griping about shelters in general, UL hikers, slackpackers, religious people, etc.). Its a simple process, and if you deviate slightly from the itenerary they aren't out to hammer you with a fine. Just about anyone who has ever went out for a multiday hike understands that a large percentage of the time stuff happens and the best laid plans are thrown off.

I definately disagree with bypassing the Smokies, its some of most beautiful scenery of the entire trail (esp between Clingamans Dome to Tricorner Knob).

Images

This map will show you where they are, capacity/water/privy, and a photo (usually).

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...nteractive-map

This distance calculator will show you how far apart they are.

http://www.atdist.com/

Armed with this information, you should have no trouble avoiding the shelters. Except in G.S.M.N.P. where you are pretty much required to use shelters. If you can get space in them.

Follow up question for the AT Experienced: When is the AT NOT in season? A friend & I are in the early planning stage of a 30 day trip next year on the AT beginning at Mile 0. I am leaning toward September-October in an attempt to avoid the crowds. Is that time of year a low travel time on the AT?
    Thanks!

Wayne
    That is a great time for Georgia. It won't be that cold. There still might be a fair number of people on the trail though.

But, Georgia has a massive hiker glut in March and April. As a result, the shelters are full in March and April. As a result of that,
    many camp near the shelters or at makeshift campsites. So if you are hiking in Georgia in September or October, you can count
    on plenty of open campsites.

It's about like finding a hotel in Myrtle Beach in November.

Where are you going to hike? There are lots of people hiking the AT in September and October in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Shenandoah NP, the Smokies. Other parts are less crowded but you'll see more on weekends.

For a 30 day hike, how about starting in Damascus on a weekday and see how much of Virginia you can complete?
    My friend aspires to complete the entire AT in sections as time/funds permit. Therefore, he wishes to start at Mile 0 (Springer Mountain, GA) and proceed north.
    I realize that the southern section of the AT in GA-TN-NC is probably the most traveled. I was just curious to know if the hoards thin a little after Labor Day when the kidlets all return to school. To be replaced by Geezers such as myself and my hiking partner.
    Yes, I knew you said "Mile 0" but if relative solitude was more important, I thought I'd offer an alternative.

Starting at Springer, I don't think weekdays will be too crowded but you'll meet people. And the Smokies will likely have full shelters. If you're not aware, the Smokies now have a fee but as a thruhiker, you don't need reservations (unless that's also changed.)
    I wasn't trying to be picky or annoying. My daughter lives in Boone, NC. I reckon since my hiking partner wants to start at the beginning, and Elk Park, NC seems like a reasonable 30 day trip, we can call my daughter from Elk Park and she can come get us.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Why would you want to do that? If you are a thru hiker going thru the GSMNP is as easy as it gets. Its when you are a section hiker that its a PITA.
    So, we tell the folks at the Park that we are bound for Mt. Katadin. While transiting G.S.M.N.P. in September or October?

Wayne

So, we tell the folks at the Park that we are bound for Mt. Katadin. While transiting G.S.M.N.P. in September or October?
    Katahdin has nothing to do with it. A thru hiker as defined by the GSMNP is someone who starts their hike 50 miles before they enter the park and ends it 50 miles after they leave the park. And if you meet that definition that is as easy to hike thru the park as there is.

Images

If you stay in a shelter ... 2 things ... #1 I hope you like mice getting into your stuff and crawling over you and #2 Bring some ear plugs unless the sound of heavy snoring is relaxing to you.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Not necessary. A "thru-hiker" per the Park is someone beginning or ending 50 miles outside the park. Starting at Springer qualifies.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Todd, the griping about permits here on WB is mostly overlblown (just like the griping about shelters in general,....).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    If you stay in a shelter ... 2 things ... #1 I hope you like mice getting into your stuff and crawling over you and #2 Bring some ear plugs unless the sound of heavy snoring is relaxing to you.
    I rest my case.

Images

If telling the truth is griping I am guilty.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++