WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best 2 night Appalachian Trail hike near Smoky Mountains/Cherokee National Forest

My brother and I plan on doing a 2 night hike on the Appalachian Trail near the Smoky Mountain/Cherokee National Forest during the weekend of 8June. I've set foot on the AT off I40 on the TN/NC boarder, but I havent hiked more than 1 mile along this trail. This will be our first official hike along the AT and am super excited! Can anyone give me advice for the most breathtaking and scenic 2 day section hike on the AT along the TN/NC boarder (near I40 preferably)? Just a reminder we only have 2 nights to do this so we have plenty of time to get back to our car as we plan on either taking a shuttle to the trailhead, or back when done hiking. Which also brings up other questions...1) would it be better to take a shuttle at the end of the hike or take a shuttle to begin the hike in this area? 2) Does anyone know of a shuttle service in this particular area of the AT? Thanks all!

Due to crowding and resrticted camping/shelters INSIDE the national park, I suggest that you head north away from I-40 and G.S.M.N.P. I also suggest that you not park along I-40. Why don't you go to Hot Springs, NC. A most hiker friendly town. Put together a 3 day loop from Hot Springs.

Wayne

You could park your car at Mountain Harbour(19E) and shuttle to Carvers Gap or the gap just before Roan Mt.(cant remember the name) and hike north. Roan Mt. and the balds in the section are amazing!

I think the parks great. I go all the time. Its not a hassle like everyone makes it out to be. Its just like booking a hotel. Best 2 night hike in the smokies in my opinion is Parking a car at Alum cave trail head and getting a shuttle to clingmans dome. Then hiking to AT north 12.5 miles to icewater spring shlter for night one. Then in the morning walk 1 mile north from shelter to charlies bunion which is large rock outcropping with great views. Then backtrack 2 miles south to the boulevard trail which is awesome trail and hike 5.3 miles up to Mt Leconte shelter for night 2. Check out cliff tops for sunset and myrtle point for sunrise tho both offer spectacular views all day long. In the morning you have an easy 5 mile but awesome hike down Alum cave to you car which is a very geological trail as in rock formations and such and it also includes great views. If you have any questions or need any help feel free to message me. I know the area and the trails very well. For a shuttle call Ron Mcgaha, older fella from the area with a wealth of knowledge and experience 423-625-0739. He weighs your pack for you and snaps a photo of your crew in which he sends to you in the mail a few days later.

Journal Entries
    Images

Park at New Found Gap, hike nobo on the AT, then off the AT to stay at the Kephart Shelter the 1st night, Day 2 continue on & rejoin the AT & stay at Peck Corner, Day3 Saty 100% on the AT, head sobo past Charlie Bunion & Icewater Springs back to your car. You'll get the best of ALL worlds, busy trail, light trail, solitude + all the AT has to offer. Enjoy!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries

tarjav--Do you plan to drive all the way from Chicago to the Smokies just for a quick two night weekend trip? That ratio of highway time to trail time would not appeal to me. On the way to the Smokies and AT you'll pass close to some other great hiking destinations, both in Kentucky and in Tennessee just south of the state line. Living in Central Kentucky, I like to do my two or three night backpacking trips in the Daniel Boone Forest (Sheltowee Trace) or the Big South Fork National Recreation Area. When I have more time available, I go instead to trails like the AT in the Southern Appalachians, sometimes enjoying Great Smoky Mountain National Park (GSMNP). If possible visit the southern AT for more than just a weekend sometime.

Let's assume that you will have spent your prior night somewhere near the AT before your first day of hiking. Then, you'll have two more full days available to hike. But, none of us here on White Blaze can anticipate how much distance your route should cover. We don't know anything about your hiking/backpacking experience and your personal predilections. If you're fairly new to backpacking, or to doing so in mountainous terrain, consider limiting how far you anticipate walking on this trip. Enjoy yourselves outdoors without feeling compelled to cover extensive distances. To maximize your pleasure, don't necessarily think of yourselves as "long distance AT hikers" just yet.

An "ideal two night hike" for some White Blazers might not be your own best choice. I've linked the GSMNP's on-line trail map below. It shows the AT, other maintained trails, trailheads, and the back country shelter and campsites in the park.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...ap_OCT2012.pdf

That map can also be purchased in printed form for about a dollar. It has all the trail information needed for hiking in the Park. Study the map, pick your own itinerary, and obtain the required permit. Consider possibly doing an "out and back" walk instead of one requiring use of a shuttle. Good GSMNP trail heads located fairly close to I-40 are Big Creek Campground and also Cosby Campground. But for scenery I especially like the itinerary that Wornoutboots has suggested:

"Park at New Found Gap, hike nobo on the AT, then off the AT to stay at the Kephart Shelter the 1st night, Day 2 continue on & rejoin the AT & stay at Peck Corner, Day3 Saty 100% on the AT, head sobo past Charlie Bunion & Icewater Springs back to your car. You'll get the best of ALL worlds, busy trail, light trail, solitude + all the AT has to offer."

For some people, a less desirable feature of that plan might be having to cover ten or eleven up-and-down miles on the last day, right before driving straight back to Chicago. An easier alternative would be leave your car at Big Creek's Baxter Creek Trail Head, near I 40 at the far eastern end of the Park. Then, spend two nights camped up at site 38 on Mount Sterling, before descending the same way. Use Day two for an out-and-back ridge walk southward to Laurel Gap (and maybe also walk some of the Balsome Mountain Trail, time and energy permitting.)

park at Standing bear hostel Hike to Hot Springs, Curtis from Standing bear will shuttle you back to your car.

Big Creek loop - Park at the Big Creek Ranger station and climb Chestnut Branch trail up to the AT. Take the spur trail to Mt Cammerrer fire tower. 1st night at Cosby Knob Shleter. Take the AT up over Mt Guyot and then down to the Balsam Mtn Trail. Hike over to the Benton McKaye trail and stay night 2 at Laurel Gap Shelter. Day three takes you up to Mt Sterling fire tower and then back down the Big Creek via the Baxter Creek trail. This loop is above 5,000 feet with fantastic views for about 25 out of 37 miles. Old growth forest, views, beautiful streams, no need for a shuttle. You will not be disappointed.

Ryan

P.S. - Big Creek Ranger Station is 2 miles off of I-40.

Ryan

Standing Indian. Good views easy logistics.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    Big Creek loop - Park at the Big Creek Ranger station and climb Chestnut Branch trail up to the AT. Take the spur trail to Mt Cammerrer fire tower. 1st night at Cosby Knob Shleter. Take the AT up over Mt Guyot and then down to the Balsam Mtn Trail. Hike over to the Benton McKaye trail and stay night 2 at Laurel Gap Shelter. Day three takes you up to Mt Sterling fire tower and then back down the Big Creek via the Baxter Creek trail. This loop is above 5,000 feet with fantastic views for about 25 out of 37 miles. Old growth forest, views, beautiful streams, no need for a shuttle. You will not be disappointed.

Ryan
    I was gonna suggest something like this. I don't know how strong of hikers you are. The first day is gonna go up for a while. You could reverse Ryan's route and go up Mt Sterling the 1st day (park at Big Creek ranger station). 4000 ft in 6 miles but you get it over fast. Great tower on Mt Sterling with great view. Tent camping. Next day head over to Tri-corner Knob shelter. Ridge walking the whole way. Next day head down the Camel Hump (Camel something) Trail to Walnut Bottoms and out the Big Creek Trail to your car.

Whatever you do you have lots of great choices. I like to car camp at Snowbird and do day walks in either direction and then sit in my chair and watch the sun set over the Smokies.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post

Ryan
    Thanks Ryan!! I really appreciate the great advice and specific overnight detail!! I've always wanted to hike up to Mt. Cammerer, so far I think this might be my route!

Park at Standing Bear Hostel, and hike north to Hot Springs, Curtis at Standing Bear is a great person he will come to Hot Springs and shuttle you back to your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Duramax22 View Post
    I think the parks great. I go all the time. Its not a hassle like everyone makes it out to be. Its just like booking a hotel. Best 2 night hike in the smokies in my opinion is Parking a car at Alum cave trail head and getting a shuttle to clingmans dome. Then hiking to AT north 12.5 miles to icewater spring shlter for night one. Then in the morning walk 1 mile north from shelter to charlies bunion which is large rock outcropping with great views. Then backtrack 2 miles south to the boulevard trail which is awesome trail and hike 5.3 miles up to Mt Leconte shelter for night 2. Check out cliff tops for sunset and myrtle point for sunrise tho both offer spectacular views all day long. In the morning you have an easy 5 mile but awesome hike down Alum cave to you car which is a very geological trail as in rock formations and such and it also includes great views. If you have any questions or need any help feel free to message me. I know the area and the trails very well. For a shuttle call Ron Mcgaha, older fella from the area with a wealth of knowledge and experience 423-625-0739. He weighs your pack for you and snaps a photo of your crew in which he sends to you in the mail a few days later.
    Thanks Duramax for all your help!!! I really appreciate it and I do plan on making it to Clingman's Dome at some point, but i was going to drive up to it before we headed home actually. You know, Im quite torn between your hike and Violent Green's Hike, which i'll post below. What are your thoughts on yours and his? I actually routed out his and am veering towards it as I was going to do one similar to that one a few years ago (around Cosby and Cammerer), but you got me thinking and I dont know what to choose! Let me know your thoughts, his is posted below:

"Big Creek loop - Park at the Big Creek Ranger station and climb Chestnut Branch trail up to the AT. Take the spur trail to Mt Cammerrer fire tower. 1st night at Cosby Knob Shleter. Take the AT up over Mt Guyot and then down to the Balsam Mtn Trail. Hike over to the Benton McKaye trail and stay night 2 at Laurel Gap Shelter. Day three takes you up to Mt Sterling fire tower and then back down the Big Creek via the Baxter Creek trail. This loop is above 5,000 feet with fantastic views for about 25 out of 37 miles. Old growth forest, views, beautiful streams, no need for a shuttle. You will not be disappointed."

Hot Springs to Max Patch. About 20 miles. Easy to hitch back to town.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    park at Standing bear hostel Hike to Hot Springs, Curtis from Standing bear will shuttle you back to your car.
    This. Although I would prefer to get shuttled first and hike back to my car. Curtis can get swamped and there's no guarantee you get shuttled upon arrival. Plus your vehicle will be left in a safer location.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by tarjav83 View Post
    My brother and I plan on doing a 2 night hike on the Appalachian Trail near the Smoky Mountain/Cherokee National Forest during the weekend of 8June. I've set foot on the AT off I40 on the TN/NC boarder, but I havent hiked more than 1 mile along this trail. This will be our first official hike along the AT and am super excited! Can anyone give me advice for the most breathtaking and scenic 2 day section hike on the AT along the TN/NC boarder (near I40 preferably)? Just a reminder we only have 2 nights to do this so we have plenty of time to get back to our car as we plan on either taking a shuttle to the trailhead, or back when done hiking. Which also brings up other questions...1) would it be better to take a shuttle at the end of the hike or take a shuttle to begin the hike in this area? 2) Does anyone know of a shuttle service in this particular area of the AT? Thanks all!
    Park at Mountain Harbour, get shuttled to Carver's Gap, hike over the Balds, camp at Overmountain or up at the top of the first hump as you come out of the woods after the climb out of Overmountain. Grassy Ridge is spectacular as well. Cannot think of a better introduction to the AT. Plus it isnt hard at all. There is also camping in between the Humps if the wind picks up.

Images

Best 2-night hike in my opinion starts at Davenport Gap and ends at Hot Springs. Park in town and get a shuttle to the gap. Some steep climbs but also some awesome views from Max Patch.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There is only one crossing of I40. But you can get to most trailheads between Standing Bear Hostel and Hampton within 1-2 drive of I-40. Hampton and Hot Springs would require some rural roads to get to I40. But Erwin and I-26 are within an hour of I-40 at Asheville.

Hampton would have Laurel Fork Falls and Watauga Lake. And the Roan area you have the Balds, Jones and Mountaineer Falls. Erwin would have Beauty Spot and Big Bald.

Hot Springs will have the Max Patch, Snowbird, French Broad River, Rich Mountain firetower.

Between Erwin and Hot Springs is the Exposed Trail, Jones Meadows, Big Butt, Shelton Graves, overlook of Rocky Fork.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++