WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: permethryn

Journal Entries
    Images

Default permethryn

I just picked up some permethryn spray (5%, Walmart) to help keep the deer ticks away. I intend to use this in adition to deet. As I understand it permethryn is sprayed on cloths, not skin and lasts a could weeks. I also understand that it is an insecticide rather than a repelant.

Any thoughts about this stuff? I am less interested in possible health issues (the ticks scare me more than anything I am likely tolearn on that count) than how well the stuff works, and how long it lasts. I'd be using it in a day and weekend hiking conditions.

Rick B

whatever it takes to avoid Lyme disease works for me!!

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

permethryn scares me more than the ticks! i have never used this product but i do know it is a very effective insecticide,very dangerous too. i know a lot of the farms in the area use it.
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by justusryans
    permethryn scares me more than the ticks! i have never used this product but i do know it is a very effective insecticide,very dangerous too.
    I am seriously considering permetherin, so I read all posts I see about it. Do you have a source for the claim that it is dangerous?

Doug

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

I've used Permethrin for years. No problems. The military issues it for spraying on mosquito netting and clothing, so I used it in Iraq, Egypt, Thailand with no problems. It keeps the critters away.

I use it on the trail now, too. Take the clothes you're going to wear outside and lay them on the lawn. Spray them with an even coat of Permethrin and let them dry. Now wear them.

It is also good to spray on the outside of your tent and other gear. Just dont inhale it or spray it on your skin. After you spray your stuff make sure to wash your hands well.

Oh, I noticed in when I was in the Air Force that if you spray Permethrin on a subdued Rank insignia that it will take the enamel paint off of it in less than a minute.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Images

doug, no i havn't looked up any source material for it. i live in a farming community however and some local farmers use it on their fields. when they do they take severe precautions to protect themselves. hazmat suits and respiraters. they may be using a more concetrated form or just taking reasonable precautions. anything the farmers respect as much permethrin would make me cautious.
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Images

Kahlil Gibran

Images

doug, disregard link it is afflicted!

Kahlil Gibran

Permethrin is not intended for direct use on skin. Clearly respiratory and mucous membrane contact would be a bad thing. So when farmers are spraying it on their crops, it is aerosolized over the crops. So they wear protective gear to keep from absorbing it. Once it dries it is safe to handle the treated materials.

My field work clothes are treated with permethrin, so are my hunting clothes. It is relatively easy to go into the woods for a day of bushwhacking and come out with 300 ticks on you...yeah, I said 300. Permethrin reduces that quite a bit. So does Deet. Use it according to the instructions and you'll be fine.

For mosquitoes I've been using Cutter Advantage, a DEET free repellent. It seems to work pretty well and doesn't smell.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

Images

I treated my clothing with it for my section hike in 2004. Didn't see a single tick on me. The trail runner said it was a really bad year for ticks. Lasts 2 weeks, supposedly. I walk in the woods in my business and am getting ready to spray my work clothes as it gets old to pick a couple dozen ticks off during the day. UGH!
    Turtle2

That Cutter Advanced repellent with picaridin looks very promising thanks for the tip.

happypappy

I now use the product on my socks and trouser legs. As already posted, take your clothing outdoors to spray them, be careful to not spray yourself, and wash any residue off your skin. I contracted lyme a few years ago, and now suffer some pretty tough arthritis problems ( spine is loaded with it ) and some chronic fatigue symptoms. I was on an anti-biotic treatment, but I most assuredly do not want the risk of getting another dose. If I can or not, I don't know, but why take chances. Anything that helps to prevent this ailment is worth it in my book.

According to everything I've read lately, the best strategy is Permethrin on all your clothes and DEET on exposed skin. The main reason to avoid Permethrin on your skin is apparently not because of its toxicity. Rather, it is because it gets broken down when on skin after only about 5 minutes. On clothes it lasts longer than 2 weeks and it can last up to 6 months in higher concentrations. YMMV!

I'm trying to avoid DEET now, so I just bought some Repel which uses Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus. I'll be using it this weekend along with Permethrin on my clothes. We're having alot of mosquitos and ticks here this year, so I'll let everybody know how that works after I get back.

I can say that this week I sprayed my baseball cap with Permethrin and the mosquitos seem to be bothering me alot less while I'm working in the yard. It could just be my imagination of course.

My kids are going to camp this summer at the Institute of Ecosystem Studies in Millbrook, NY. I will be spraying all their clothes with Permethrin and putting either DEET or the lemon eucalyptus on their skin. Here in Dutchess County we have the highest rate of Lyme Disease in NY, and the second highest in the country. I'm not sure what county is first, but I've had Lyme disease a couple of times, and my daughter had it when she was five, and it isn't fun.

Not sure where I found this, I think it may have been a military site, but I sent this to a friend of mine last week:

When maximum protection against insect bites is needed or desired, the ideal solution is to use a combination of DEET on exposed skin, and wear permethrin-treated clothing. An extended-duration DEET insect repellent (Ultrathon®) and permethrin-treated clothing is the standard personal protection system used by the U.S. military deployed in areas of the world where insect-borne disease is a real threat. One field study showed that the use of both of these products provided 99.9% protection against mosquito bites, in an environment where unprotected persons received an average of 1,188 bites per hour!

last post, why can't I edit my posts?

Here's where the above quote is from:
    http://www.travmed.com/trip_prep/insect_permethrin.htm

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

[QUOTE=The Cheat]last post, why can't I edit my posts?
    =================================
    Send a note to ATTroll here at Whiteblaze and he'll reset your preferences so that you can edit all your posts. Had the same problem a while back.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Any concern of it getting on your skin, once your sweat permeates the clothing or pack you may have sprayed it on?

I use skin so soft by avon, it works wonders in keeping ticks away, not so good on blackflies or skeeter's though.

Quote Originally Posted by gumball
    Any concern of it getting on your skin, once your sweat permeates the clothing or pack you may have sprayed it on?
    I'm not sure, since I've read alot of conflicting information on websites. But, Permethrin is used in the shampoo that kids use to get rid of head lice, so I imagine it's pretty safe.

Default Bug Spray

YEAH THE STUFF WORKS FINE. BEEN USING IT FOR ABOUT 15 YEARS NOW. ALWAYS SPRAY MY PACK, CLOTHES,AND BOOTS WHEN I GO HIKIN. AND IF YA SPRAY YOUR TIE STRINGS ON YOUR FOOD BAG BEFORE YOU HANG IT ON THOSE SHELTER STICKS ON A ROPE, THEN THE MICES LEAVE YOUR GOODIES ALONE TOO. SO ITS AN ALL AROUND GOOD THING TO USE FOR CRITTER DEFENSE. HAPPY HIKIN!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    I just picked up some permethryn spray (5%, Walmart) to help keep the deer ticks away. I intend to use this in adition to deet. As I understand it permethryn is sprayed on cloths, not skin and lasts a could weeks. I also understand that it is an insecticide rather than a repelant.

Any thoughts about this stuff? I am less interested in possible health issues (the ticks scare me more than anything I am likely tolearn on that count) than how well the stuff works, and how long it lasts. I'd be using it in a day and weekend hiking conditions.

Rick B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++