WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana A.T. thru hiker's companion V.S. The A.T. guide by "Awol"??

hiking NOBO this May I was wondering which book is preferred or better..? My father is all about the companion (finished the 2200 miles last year). While I would go this route I have already purchased "awol's" guide accidentally and wondering if i should exchange or just use it. P.S. i also have the data book

I would keep the AT Guide book. Have a great hike. Welcome to Whiteblaze!

While I wouldn't go thru the hassle of an exchange - either book will get you down the trail - the Companion is the book updated by hikers, prepared by the ALDHA, and sold by the ATC. Seems to me as hikers that is the book we should support.

I'm starting to think you need both at some point. I find the Companion format useful at home for overview planning and is the format I'm used to seeing. The AT guide is formated in a manor which looks more trail friendly. I will use the Guide for the first time in the field soon, so we'll see how that goes...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I hike with both. Either one will get the job done nicely. You'll actually get even more information from other people ON the trail than your chosen guide
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

AT Guide is my preferred format. More info, better layout. Plus more choices on direction/binding.

I always use the AT compannion but i think the AWOL book has more details about towns. since you already got the AWOL book go ahead and use it, it's way more helpful than the data book

++ New Posts ++