WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Maildrop VS. Mail Services??

Hopefully, this will be easy: I have AWOL's book, and some listings say they offer maildrops and others say mail services, and I can't find the distinction. (Of course, perhaps I've been looking at the book too much and can't see the tree for the forest?) sic.

Does "services" mean postage, boxes available?

Does "drop" mean you can ship from there, but not receive??

Or, is life simple and any listing with the little envelope icon mean that I can receive AND send mail from there .....but if it doesn't say "services" I just need to find my own stamps, etc?

Images

I have only read Awolls book when others shared it. But I believe a drop = someplace you can ship it to only & service means you can also ship out.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I would suggest that except for post offices that you call each place you're sending a mail drop to verify that they are still accepting mail drops and asking for specifics about when you can and can't pick it up.

I would never just blindly send a package somewhere - except a post office.

Author, Awol on the Appalachian Trail
    Images

Symbols are described on the first page of the book. The “mailbox” symbol is used only for post offices. The “envelope” symbol indicates a place other than a PO where you can receive a maildrop. Usually you cannot send mail from these places, but there are exceptions; for example, a lot of outfitters will ship a package for you. The phrase “mail service” is not used in The A.T. Guide.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I would suggest that except for post offices that you call each place you're sending a mail drop to verify that they are still accepting mail drops and asking for specifics about when you can and can't pick it up.

I would never just blindly send a package somewhere - except a post office.
    It should also be mentioned some places of business also charge to hold mail drops, especially if you're not staying. For instance, I believe the Hike Inn near Fontana Dam charges $30 to hold a box if you're not staying. While I think that's excessive, others may only charge from $3-5 which may be worth the convenience.

Check out the AT mailing label page which list most of your more common mail drops and Post offices

http://www.soruck.net/at/

Quote Originally Posted by Awol2003 View Post
    Symbols are described on the first page of the book. The “mailbox” symbol is used only for post offices. The “envelope” symbol indicates a place other than a PO where you can receive a maildrop. Usually you cannot send mail from these places, but there are exceptions; for example, a lot of outfitters will ship a package for you. The phrase “mail service” is not used in The A.T. Guide.
    AWOL....the man himself! Thank you! Indeed, my brain did not register the definition of the envelope, somehow, so thank you for correcting me.

I will say though, that somewhere, I'm fairly certain, I read "mail services" in a blurb explaination of a hostel or somesuch, which I naturally can't find now. But, no matter. What I really needed to know was that the envelope meant they would hold mail for me.

Thanks again, and your book rocks. I can't stop reading/studying it. (Hence my dizzy question!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    It should also be mentioned some places of business also charge to hold mail drops, especially if you're not staying. For instance, I believe the Hike Inn near Fontana Dam charges $30 to hold a box if you're not staying. While I think that's excessive, others may only charge from $3-5 which may be worth the convenience.

Check out the AT mailing label page which list most of your more common mail drops and Post offices

http://www.soruck.net/at/
    Sly, that site freaking ROCKS! Thank you so much!

~ Trillium ~
    Trillium

ditto on the link sly
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain -- and most fools do." Dale Carnegie

Oh wow sly, yes....that's great! Thank you.

++ New Posts ++