WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana La Sportiva Wildcat Women's Shoes

I have an extra wide foot, high arch, and need a large toe box. I've found a shoe that works well for me. The women's wildcat mountain running shoes by La Sportiva.

It has a lot of cushioning and is very stable. I supinate so I imagine that as the shoe wears, the mesh upper will begin to stretch to the outside. I use SuperFeet insoles [green] in place of the original insoles. I've hiked about ten miles in them so far and I really like the tread design.

And the best part, besides being reasonably priced [$110, I paid $109 at NOC Outfitter in Gatlinburg, TN], is that they weigh 9.84 oz! Recall that a pound on the foot is five on the back.

MZ_WildcatWmnsOrange_537.jpg

Coosa
    My blog, dedicated to my Dad: Chasing the Trail
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

Good for you Coosa. Isn't it so nice to know that you have paired up what you believe to be the shoe that addresses your foot and foot plant characteristics? SO GOOD TO SEE THAT YOU KNEW YOUR FOOT TRAITS AND TOOK THEM INTO CONSIDERATION WHILE CONSIDERING HIKING SHOES! It's what more of us should be doing. BRAVO! Hope the shoes work out for you on the AT.

I have the same foot traits though I'm basically a neutral pronator. Wish the Wildcats came in an equivalent to an American 14 size perhaps in a WIDE version(maybe they do have the Wides)but they don't make them that large. The La Sportiva Wildcats, although not exactly the same, are the shoes that I know that come closest to HOKA running shoes, which once accustomed to, may have a runner never going back to any other running shoe. Talk about a cushy ride and phenomenal push off in gaining forward motion.

Feel like walking on air right now, hey? They are real cushy underfoot, hey? They tend to/will flatten out(get less cushy) in rather short order though. What's the wt of your full pack? Make sure to do some miles in them on trail with your weighted pack PRE AT HIKE. OK durability IMO but being so light wt and meshy you''ll almost for sure need more than one pair for a AT thru-hike. Going to be prepared for that right? Got more than one pr right? Or waiting to make final assessments before committing to buying more than one pr? The mesh probably will stretch to the outside. I've seen that happen with many of the folks who opted for these shoes for hiking. Pretty light wt too, hey? And, you did after market orthotics/soles knowing you take the Green Superfeet too. I find your comments and knowledge about shoes appropriate for YOUR FEET refreshing here on WB.

Since you listed it are you really 68 yrs young? IF so, my hats off to you young lady. I like your chutzpah already. You have me thinking about the possibilities for not only others but myself when I read this by Leroy Paige not too long ago at a hostel in Leadville CO - How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? Here I see that you aren't just about reading it you are a prime example of someone applying the potential principles presented in it by living it. WOW! GREAT to see you are hitting the AT. Lovin it. Inspiration for all at 1 in the morning. YEAH! Live FULLY while you are alive!

Here's a link to another women's hike on the Great Himalayan Trail who didn't allow her age or what naysayers negatively said about it determine WHAT SHE WOULD DO: http://annieuphigh.com/index.php/nepal-adventure

Don't be tuned into the naysayers.

Thank you Dogwood. Yes, we all need to know our feet characteristics as well as we know our shirt and pants size. I know I've spent way too much on shoes that didn't work for me.

I bought only one pair for my 'half-a-Thru' hike but will get a second pair mailed to me if these don't make it all the way. I have considered going ahead and buying a second pair before I leave in May.

I carry 20-23 pounds on my back. I think the shoes will hold up for 1200 miles at that additional weight.

Thanks for the info on AnnieUpHigh.

No naysayers to stop me ... I'm headed to the AT in May NorthBound from MD.
    Coosa
    Proverbs 4:26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet and be steadfast in all your ways.
    Hike Your Own Hike

I have just invested in these shoes and have hiked a little over 15 miles in them (short hikes, nothing long yet) and so far they are comfortable. They are my first trail runners. I normally wear boots but the weight, blisters, and sweaty feet were enough to make me experiment. Plus, 80 bucks on amazon for comfortable shoes sounded like it was worth the try.. I still have to get used to wearing shoes lower than my ankles (makes me FAR more aware of where I put my feet, LOL). Have you gotten any more time to break them in? If so.. do you still like them? I like the fact they are so breathable, makes me think they will dry quicker if they get wet (I got the non-water proof).

I was also looking at the superfeet but haven't made the decision yet since the shoes themselves are comfortable. Do you think they are necessary with the shoes if putting in longer distances?

Quote Originally Posted by trinzushi View Post
    I have just invested in these shoes and have hiked a little over 15 miles in them (short hikes, nothing long yet) and so far they are comfortable. They are my first trail runners. I normally wear boots but the weight, blisters, and sweaty feet were enough to make me experiment. Plus, 80 bucks on amazon for comfortable shoes sounded like it was worth the try.. I still have to get used to wearing shoes lower than my ankles (makes me FAR more aware of where I put my feet, LOL). Have you gotten any more time to break them in? If so.. do you still like them? I like the fact they are so breathable, makes me think they will dry quicker if they get wet (I got the non-water proof).

I was also looking at the superfeet but haven't made the decision yet since the shoes themselves are comfortable. Do you think they are necessary with the shoes if putting in longer distances?
    I've not worn my Wildcats in the rain yet, but I have about 50-60 miles on them and I absolutely love them. I did have to by a size longer so that my toenails won't touch the toecap on the downhills.

The Green Superfeet give a bit of extra stiffness to the shoe and I haven't worn them without the Superfeet in them. I think the Green Superfeet insoles help the cushioning not to break down so easily. AND they definitely help keep the heel in place and the arch supported.

I used to wear ankle high boots and I kept 'straining' my ankles because my foot would go one direction and my ankle could not correct and keep me from either falling or straining the muscles. Now that I use the low-cuts, if my shoe is planted on an angle, my ankle will correct and not tug my muscles.

USE POLES ... not only does it take about 20% of the weight off your knees/ankles, it helps in the 'self-correcting' of a mis-step. Youtube has videos on the 'correct' way to use trekking poles. Definitely recommend watching as many as you feel necessary to get the 'gist' of hiking with poles.

Coosa
    Hike Your Own Hike

My wife swears by these shoes as well. She has used them for over 1,000 miles so far. I also use the men's version.

After using these shoes on multiple overnight trips including all of SNP I have more of an idea of them. I love the mesh that it stretches, but after getting wet the mesh is a little more resistant to stretching which created issues when I got a blister on my pinky toe and it had no room. I don't have to worry about blisters or hot spots when they are dry but I have had issues when they are wet. I am experimenting with socks to see if they are a culprit- Tried smartwool mid weight on colder wet days and thorlo hikers. I'm considering trying a thinner sock and I am looking into insoles. My only complaint is that it is like walking on ice when you are hiking on wet rocks- but I haven't found a shoe yet that doesn't have this issue. I love how quickly they dry though!

And I love my trekking poles. Wouldn't ever go without them.

I have the Sportiva Ultra Raptors. Done about a 100 plus miles but only 22 on the AT. I wear thin polyester socks and no blisters. Very comfortable shoe.

Grey Ghost, have you tried them in wet conditions yet?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coosa View Post
    I have an extra wide foot, high arch, and need a large toe box. I've found a shoe that works well for me. The women's wildcat mountain running shoes by La Sportiva.

It has a lot of cushioning and is very stable. I supinate so I imagine that as the shoe wears, the mesh upper will begin to stretch to the outside. I use SuperFeet insoles [green] in place of the original insoles. I've hiked about ten miles in them so far and I really like the tread design.

And the best part, besides being reasonably priced [$110, I paid $109 at NOC Outfitter in Gatlinburg, TN], is that they weigh 9.84 oz! Recall that a pound on the foot is five on the back.

MZ_WildcatWmnsOrange_537.jpg

Coosa
    i wear these shoes and found them yesterday on the web for $79.

Have not been in any real soaking wet rains that lasted say, all day, but have sweated in them alot if that counts. I will let you know as soon as possible.

Images

They are fine in wet conditions. I have had them wet for hundreds of miles straight, no issue at all. The only negative is fresh snow. The snow will get into the top mesh just behind the toe and form a ball of ice pressing down on my toes. I have had this happen multiple times. Here is what my feet looked like the next day.

image.jpg

La Sportiva Ultra Raptors here!
    ~Valley Girl~
    Northbound 2/28/14

http://valleygirl2014.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by trinzushi View Post
    After using these shoes on multiple overnight trips including all of SNP I have more of an idea of them. I love the mesh that it stretches, but after getting wet the mesh is a little more resistant to stretching which created issues when I got a blister on my pinky toe and it had no room. I don't have to worry about blisters or hot spots when they are dry but I have had issues when they are wet. I am experimenting with socks to see if they are a culprit- Tried smartwool mid weight on colder wet days and thorlo hikers. I'm considering trying a thinner sock and I am looking into insoles. My only complaint is that it is like walking on ice when you are hiking on wet rocks- but I haven't found a shoe yet that doesn't have this issue. I love how quickly they dry though!
    A buddy of mine had the same issue with the wildcats. He switched to Injinji toe socks and that changed the game for him.

++ New Posts ++