Default Boots or sneakers to hike in?

Hey ladies! I am beginning to research my gear choices and am wondering what you wear on the trail while carrying weight in your pack (20lbs or more). Do you swear by boots? Do you prefer running shoes? I tend to underpronate, have wide hips, and high arches. I think I want to go with a lightweight trail runner sneaker with Superfeet insoles for a thru-hike in 2014 (I am expecting to buy at least 1 replacement pair during the hike), but does anyone have experience to weigh in with? What do you hike in?

Thanks!

Lux <3

Images

The search feature will yeild more results than you want to read.
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Images

I just purchased Merrell's protera vim. They are a lightweight hiking shoe with a 4mm drop from heel to toe. They have great lateral stability to help with twisting ankles. They are light like sneakers but offer the protection of a hiking shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    The search feature will yeild more results than you want to read.
    Thanks, Doc Mike. But- I am specifically asking for female opinions, since we are built a little different and carrying pack weight poses different physical questions.

Hi Lux,

I planned on hiking in trail runners versus boots and set about finding the perfect pair. Weight was a factor so I decided not to go with boots. I tried New Balance, Merrell and Montrail. All good brands but (for me) after breaking them in, all gave me blisters and hurt the bottom of my feet. Never had foot problems before and I had to figure this out quickly.

In the end I bought these: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/23173...hikers-leather I know they are a little heavy but they also make a fabric pair. These need almost no break and feel GREAT right out of the box...like butter on your feet! Love them. No blisters, no pain. I bought a size larger and put orthodics in them. My second pair will be the fabric ones. I went to LL Bean and had them fitted first.

Images

I have done about 4000 miles or so on the AT using New Balance 800 All Terrain series hikers. I began with a pair of 806s I think, now I am wearing 813s. Be sure and look for the AT (all terrain) because numbers change from time to time. In some really cold winter hiking I used the 974 goretex hikers, but they are heavier than I like. For my 2010 thru, I used 5 pair... but could have gotten by with only 4. I do recommend buying a couple of pair a size larger, as your feet will stretch as you walk. I bought 8.5s and 9s

I don't wear boots unless I'm hiking in snow. Went to trail runners years ago when the tech on them started to get really good, and I've never looked back.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Images

Trail runners are my preference

Thanks very much, everyone

Journal Entries

I swear by my Teva sandals. You don't need to take off shoes to ford rivers, you don't have to have camp shoes, and if you buy them a size or two too big it doesn't hurt when you stub your toes. Added benefit, since your feet swell while hiking, the velcro straps permits them to fit snuggly no matter how swollen they get.

Boots are heavy for me. Trail runners are just fine.

++ New Posts ++