WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

More seriously, I'm a big fan of bright lights. They're awfully light these days if you're willing to look beyond the shelves at REI. I've had a couple times where bears will only run a short distance away when they're chased off the first time. Maybe they think they can't be seen, which would make sense if they're usually chased off with REI lights. They stayed away for the night after being chased away the second time.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey Chin saw your post... not sure how to answer it to the bst of my ability. No Worries.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Hey Chin saw your post... not sure how to answer it to the bst of my ability. No Worries.
    Probably should provide proof of insurance, too.

We all (well.. normal hikers) look forward to that great pic of a bear on the trail.

The time to not be taking pics is when a bear is in camp or approaching food. Or while someone else's bag (hey, it's not mine) is being taken. I still see in last years journals of people taking pics of food bags being ransacked.

Make more of an effort to chase, throw rocks, and make noise to ALL bears nearing campsites and shelters. It might not make a difference any more in the Georgia/NC section or any section where they have already learned not to fear hikers. But it might chase enough away so that pic can be taken on the trail, not at a shelter.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i will never have a bear incident cuz i sleep with my food
    I feel confident having gone back to this method.

I have a huge announcement to make.... y'all have really helped me calm down my bear fear!! I feel so much more confident about being in the woods with them. Thanks!! I think just talkin things out with y'all has really helped!

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    This trail needs more cow bell.
    You mean Bear Bell?

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Here's the link Slow Mind posted earlier, has more to do with grizzley bears, but it's fascinating.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PExlT...%3DPExlT-5VU-Y
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Thank you Mr. Walken...are you planning on playing "Don't Fear the Reaper" to the bears?

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    I have a huge announcement to make.... y'all have really helped me calm down my bear fear!! I feel so much more confident about being in the woods with them. Thanks!! I think just talkin things out with y'all has really helped!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89MihWd6zKk

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Here's the link Slow Mind posted earlier, has more to do with grizzley bears, but it's fascinating.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PExlT...%3DPExlT-5VU-Y
    Finally finished watching the lecture/training session video. Was primarily about Grizzly's but still excellent and had some info that is worth noting doe the A.T. well worth the hour and change.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Anybody use the PCT Method and lose their food to a bear?
    Sailor

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor (The other one) View Post
    Anybody use the PCT Method and lose their food to a bear?
    It happens especially in areas that have issues with bear. There was a bear attempting to climb up the trees to the cable at Guyot this summer. Never heard from the caretaker if he actually scored.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    It happens especially in areas that have issues with bear. There was a bear attempting to climb up the trees to the cable at Guyot this summer. Never heard from the caretaker if he actually scored.
    Thanks CT.
    Sailor

What about ursacks ? I use one for the rodents. Anyone ever use one and have a bear incident?

I found living in Montana to hike with a slower person than me, and to make them wear a pork chop necklace. That being said, I worry more about a mountain lion, rabid racoon, and west nile than bears. bear spray works, if in bear country, do what you need to do so the odds are in your favor, hang food, cook away from camp ect.

Baby, I got a fever, and the only prescription is, more cowbell.

Thanks Chaco Taco. The focus needs to be taken off the over-hyped fear, off the bears, and put it where it makes the most sense to effect positive bear human interactions - ON HUMAN BEHAVIOR - because in a GREAT MANY folk's well educated opinions, this is the key factor in the majority of negative bear, especially Black Bear, human encounters. In this person's opinion the bear problem issue really boils down to a human problem issue! Change problem human behavior and the vast majority of the problem bear issue virtually disappears! I wonder if the human species is willing to consider and change their behavior though or will it continue ignorantly placing the blame on da bears.

Da bears!!!!

The time to not be taking pics is when a bear is.... approaching food. - Winged Monkey

Ever see that Faces of Death Clip where a father filming a sound enabled video is approaching a Grizzly Bear feeding it marshmallows and unexpectedly runs out of marshmallows but the bear isn't full yet? Not for the squeamish.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++