WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Slant board for boot fitting??

I live along the coast in SC and am in dire need of an outfitter that uses a slant board for fitting. I've already purchased 2 different boots that aren't working for me and I don't want to keep wasting my money. I'm sure I'll have to travel to one of the bigger outfitters and am willing to do so. Does anyone know of any outfitters that use this fitting technique? I need them soon so that I can break them in before my hike at the end of April. Thanks everyone:-)

I don't know what a slant board is, but REI has a large rock in the fitting area; you can walk up and down it to see whether your feet slip or shift in the boots. Not sure if this info will be helpful.

Images

It's used to check if your toes jam up against the front of the boot.

When trying on boots, do it after a long day on your feet.

Here's a thread from a while back about fitting shoes properly. 'HappyBecca' from Rock Creek Outfitters wrote a very comprehensive post on shoe fitting. Chattanooga is probably out of your comfortable driving zone but at least it will give you some idea of how to do it yourself!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...otwear-Fitting

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    Here's a thread from a while back about fitting shoes properly. 'HappyBecca' from Rock Creek Outfitters wrote a very comprehensive post on shoe fitting. Chattanooga is probably out of your comfortable driving zone but at least it will give you some idea of how to do it yourself!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...otwear-Fitting
    Old Boot, did you ever find anyone to fit you for the ideal boot? I love Chattanooga and just might have to take a trip. HappyBecca seems to be very knowledgeable on the subject...Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

You don't need a slant board. Just put the boots on and give the nearest solid post or wall a decent kick (not so hard that you could do damage but hard enough that you will feel it if the shoe is too small). If there's no good wall around, just bend your leg back and kick the ground. If your feet hit the end of the shoe, it's too small.

++ New Posts ++