WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Rescue in progress...

I just heard from local radio,WGRV,that SAR had recieved a message of a sick hiker at Jerry's Cabin shelter.As of 2:30 this afternoon SAR was on it's way to the shelter to help.Anyone with updated info please post...

Images

No report from WGRV or any other local news this AM so far.Maybe no rescue needed....

Images

The local newspaper,The Greeneville Sun,reported today that in fact there was a hiker transported from Jerry's Cabin shelter late yesterday.The hiker had been at the shelter for "several days" and was suffering from dehydration.Apparently Madison Co. also received a call also.The article states that he was transported to a hospital in Asheville by Madison Co. SAR....

Images

Only a few weeks ago the spring at Jerry's Cabin shelter was flowing heavy.How someone became dehydrated there leads me to believe that the norovirus may once again be on the trail also.Hikers heading into Hot Springs need to be aware and follow up as to what the evacuated hiker really had wrong with him......

Images

This time of year, the reason for evacuation shouldn't be dehydration, but shear incompetence.

sounds like somethin....Ive always thought that shelter was kinda gross. Used to frequent the are alot in 08-10 but we always camped about half mile away or would hit it mid day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Only a few weeks ago the spring at Jerry's Cabin shelter was flowing heavy.How someone became dehydrated there leads me to believe that the norovirus may once again be on the trail also.Hikers heading into Hot Springs need to be aware and follow up as to what the evacuated hiker really had wrong with him......
    I will check on it and see if I can find out. I have emailed a friend that might be able to find out if it is Norovirus.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    This time of year, the reason for evacuation shouldn't be dehydration, but shear incompetence.
    If the hiker was sick they could very well be dehydrated and not incompetent at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mtntopper View Post
    If the hiker was sick they could very well be dehydrated and not incompetent at all.
    With all the cold, wet weather that has been down there this season, it would be pretty easy to get sick from something...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Cold&wet does not kill too often.Germs make people sick and where&how this hiker got sick needs to be determined so that other hikers might plan to avoid certain things or places...

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Doubtless the same type of sheer incompetence that drives people like you to lend your esteemed opinion to these discussions. People can get sick, unable-to-evacuate-themselves-from-the-woods and unable-to-rehydrate-fast-enough sick, at any time for any number of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    With all the cold, wet weather that has been down there this season, it would be pretty easy to get sick from something...
    Everything that I've read suggests that illnesses spread more easily in winter not because of anything in the cold, wet weather, but because people stay indoors and in closer contact with each other during that time. The person certainly could have gotten sick from staying in crowded shelters, but that's not exactly the same as getting sick because of the cold, wet weather. Again, I'm no expert, just relaying ideas that I've read about.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Cold&wet does not kill too often.Germs make people sick and where&how this hiker got sick needs to be determined so that other hikers might plan to avoid certain things or places...
    Being cold and wet can make you more likely to get sick. And since there is an incubation period, determing where and how someone got sick for someone on the move like a hiker is usually not possible. He could have picked up someting in Hot Springs or even as far back as Standing Bear. Hard telling, not knowing.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Strange?? I just read a journal of a thru that just stayed there a few days ago? No mention of this in his journal so I'm wondering if this was someone out on a connecting trail that stammered into Jerry Cabin??
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post

i am confused...the guy in this trail journal didn't mention being sick...did i miss something? i am a blonde ya know!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

no, my point was that he stayed there a few days ago & the newspaper article said the rescued hiker had been there several days? Just trying to unwrap the mystery

Journal Entries
    Images

no, my point was that he stayed there a few days ago & the newspaper article said the rescued hiker had been there several days? Just trying to unwrap the mystery
    gotcha... i hope whoever it is is ok...being sick on the trail is a scary thought!!

This time of year, the reason for evacuation shouldn't be dehydration, but sheer incompetence.
    or the Norovirus. Or giardia, or ecoli, or....................

sheer.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I'll take a stab at it - Ill with vomiting/diarrhea. Leads to dehydration.

Hope he's ok.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Probably got an overdose of Aquir-Mira.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++