WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How concerned are YOU with viruses in water??

I have always used a .02 micron filter. So far so good. Have I been taking too big of a risk?

What all should I know about water treatment, backcountry, and viruses?

Thanks!

I know it depends on location as well.

Images

As long as you are not getting your water from a source downstream from humans, viruses are not an issue on the AT.

Most of the AT water sources are either springs or streams that come from areas without significant human activity.

If you suspect the water has past through a farm or town, viruses could be an issue. Chose your water sources appropriately and filters are fine.

i'm not concerned at all. i never filter or treat

Some people do get quite sick from untreated water either because they were careless, or they didn't realize that the water they drank was contaminated from an unseen source upstream. I try and select clear, free running water whenever possible and I use a Steri Pen unit. No system of treating water is a guarantee but for 3.5 ounces of weight and 1 minute of stirring, I just want to reduce the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Some people do get quite sick from untreated water either because they were careless, or they didn't realize that the water they drank was contaminated from an unseen source upstream. I try and select clear, free running water whenever possible and I use a Steri Pen unit. No system of treating water is a guarantee but for 3.5 ounces of weight and 1 minute of stirring, I just want to reduce the risk.
    Completely untreated or from .02 filter?

As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I guess general US backpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Huh? That does help against viruses. So you are concerned I suppose.

I never treat water that comes from a spring if it is at an elevation that I know to be above any significant human or livestock contamination... Any water that I can't get directly from where the spring comes out of the ground, or is at a lower elevation than I think is safe, I treat. So far so good.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MrMiner2 View Post
    I have always used a .02 micron filter. So far so good. Have I been taking too big of a risk?

Thanks!
    Not that concerned. I either filter (MSR Sweetwater) or use AM. No problemo! That is unless the source is without question a nice clean source!!! Then Ah jist drink up!!!!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Thanks!
    I'm confused. A 0.02 micron filter does remove viruses, so what risk are you taking?

http://www.sawyer.com/sawyersaves/pr...-pointtwo.html

FWIW, in North America, I use the 0.1 micron filter. It removes bacteria but not viruses, and I don't worry.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I take my chances with viruses.

Hepatitis-A - I've had the shots.
    Polio - I've had the shots.
    Coronavirus - Vanishingly rare.
    JC virus (and other polyoma-like viruses) - Dangerous, generally speaking, only to the immunocompromised.
    Norovirus, rotavirus - I carry enough bismuth subsalicylate and oral rehydration salts that I think I can manage to get off trail with no worse than soiled pants.

Bacteria and protozoa are another story altogether. So I filter (when I don't worry about the filter freezing), or boil or use AquaMira (when I do worry about the filter freezing).
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Yeah I meant .2 microns (not good)

How concerned are YOU with viruses in water?

Viruses(not bacteria or protoza), U.S., not concerned.

Huh? That does help against viruses. So you are concerned I suppose.
    Viruses are rare, but they may be present, so I use a filter which has a small pore size to deal with protozoa, and which also deals with viruses, just in case.

Thus, I am not concerned (like many others, I realize that most backcountry illnesses are the same ones that you're likely to get at home - as a matter of fact, if you get sick in the woods it's just as likely that you picked up the bug from a town resupply or sharing another hiker's gorp, chips, etc.). There are two ways (at least) not to worry. Two of the ways are to:
    1) Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best, or
    2) Be like a crocodile and live in De Nile. .

Careful people don't need as much "luck", and they don't feel as foolish if they prepared the best they could and something still happened compared to those who begin an endeavor ill-prepared.

We all take chances.

How else can we enjoy life?

Just don't leave too much to chance.
    Last edited by Tinker; 03-19-2013 at 17:14.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm hyper-concerned about any and all beasties in the water....I'll filter, I'll treat, I'll boil, and/or whatever else can an effective annihilator! Of course, I am immunocompromised, but I didn't start out that way! Expose yourself to enough in youth and you'll surely pay for it later! Knowingly risking illness by drinking untreated water makes no sense to me....but then 9 out of 10 times I'll forgoe putting on a seatbelt, so I guess I do get it to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I'm hyper-concerned about any and all beasties in the water....I'll filter, I'll treat, I'll boil, and/or whatever else can an effective annihilator! Of course, I am immunocompromised, but I didn't start out that way! Expose yourself to enough in youth and you'll surely pay for it later! Knowingly risking illness by drinking untreated water makes no sense to me....but then 9 out of 10 times I'll forgoe putting on a seatbelt, so I guess I do get it to some extent.
    No seatbelt?

But concerned about cooties in the water??

At least the cooties won't kill you instantly.

I almost lost a cousin when I was a kid because she was in a '60s car with no seatbelt in the middle. She is scarred for life, physically.

Don't go getting yourself killed. We need all the hikers we can find in RI.

Teacher (my wife's occupation recently), or Snacktime -

Please..........tell us how your immune system became compromised (as a youth, I take it).

Thanks. Maybe we can learn something (or at least get to know you a bit more).

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Teacher (my wife's occupation recently), or Snacktime -

Please..........tell us how your immune system became compromised (as a youth, I take it).

Thanks. Maybe we can learn something (or at least get to know you a bit more).
    I have Lupus, thus I don't know it's exact cause. I have theories, but they're only that....a combo of heredity and a misspent (but fully enjoyed) youth, the physical strain of having kids (4). Until fairly recently (last 15 yrs) I ate poorly, never slept, baked my skin in the sun, smoked (quit that 22 yrs ago), overstressed myself physically and emotionally DELIBERATELY, and refused to acknowledge any limitations. Today I have learned my lesson....so obviously I'm going to hike the AT...and I'll try to not be too stupid.

...and I'm working on the seatbelt thing.....
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 03-19-2013 at 18:41.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++