WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Philmont Scout Ranch

I know this isnt much of Appalachian Trail but anyone who know anyone that has their son or brothers or friends attend the Philmont Scout Ranch?
    my friend's kid did this 5 years ago, and i heard it was killer! a 10 day trail /hike up to over 12,000 ft above sea level.

Good roads and activity on this trip. I wish i was younger!

Journal Entries

Half the "trails" at philmont are either flat or jeep roads
    When people climb baldy they do so as a side hike with a day pack
    The miles per day at philmont is low by AT standards, so is elevation gain
    Calling it a killer would be an exxaggeration, unless your typical fat out of shape scoutleader carrying a 50 lb pack.
    (fully 50% of leaders dont excercise AT ALL before going to Philmont)

90% of the scouts and leaders going to Philmont, wouldnt make it Neels gap on the AT.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-19-2013 at 18:40.

I've done Philmont three times about 100 years ago.

Don't think I could deal with what it's become today.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Philmont cropped.jpg

Cotton....cotton...and cotton.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Nice pic Wm! put that in the gallery
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I did it many years ago. Each crew chooses their own itinerary. They are posted on their website. They rang from moderate hikes to strenuous. The more moderrate ones often stops at various adventre camps of different themes, gold mining, rock climbing, horseback riding, etc.

My Crew did it in 2011, Trek 30. I wouldn't call it a killer, but I don't recall seeing many of those flat jeep roads, either. Maybe they were in another section of the reservation? I enjoyed it -- the terrain and climate is very different from that of NJ (20% humidity in July is a bit of a change), and we had a good group of adults and youths. For a 14-18 year-old kid, it is an amazing experience (so I am told).

I've done summer treks in 2007, 2008, and a Cavalcade (Horse packing) in 2010. My Venture Crew (10 total; max is 12 w/ no more than 4 adults) is going back again this summer on another trek (I'll miss it hiking the AT).

Carry a light pack. Take your own stuff (assuming its lighter than theirs) instead of the heavy Philmont gear. Get in shape. Get an early start each day to make it to your camp in time to do the activities at staff camps. They now sell fuel canisters as well as the traditional white gas in the backcountry (the norm). My crew is going to use a Wind Pro stove (w/ 4L titanium pot) and a MSR Reactor stove (2.5L) for crew cooking. Last year, they quit allowing turkeybag (or freezer bag) cooking to cut down on trash in the backcountry (Google it if you're not sure what that is).

Can't give you more info. I fly out to Atlanta tomorrow. Have fun @ Philmont. Great place.

Images

I was there twice - late 70s and maybe 1980. It was the highlight of my scouting time. The second time I went, our crew was 7 Eagles, 2 Lifes and a Star - get out of the way! Have been to ToT (of course), Baldy, Uracca Mesa, Black Mountain, Cimmaroncito, and a number of other places not immediately coming to mind.

Images

I've been out there twice, both times we hiked Baldy with full packs and were pointed at by other groups on the summit who had come up with day packs. Usually the leaders pointing to us telling their scouts to quit complaining. Or some of the scouts, fanning their leaders, telling THEM to quit complaining.

It was a long climb, but not brutal, well graded for the most part. As others have said, many of the trails are actually roads. Not too steep of ones. Great place however, and gives the Scouts a good introduction to real backpacking, often their first one.

Journal Entries
    Images

it is s comforting to see folk totally dammit about scouting... warms my heart.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    it is s comforting to see folk totally dammit about scouting... warms my heart.
    Still know the Oath and the Laws - try to live by those, not always successful.

Journal Entries
    Images

it is all good my friend!

Woo

Went there in 2010..Trek 15 I think...We did Mt Phillips which was the high point for our journey. It is a fun trip and a looking forward to a chance to do it again. There are some considerations that are required...LOTS of heavy food given to you - you will not go hungry, but you will understand the term Squeeze Cheese. Water is an issue as it can be sparse, with some camp sites not having water. Trails are sometimes not well marked. One instruction we were given were the three T's of a trail sign - Dont Touch it, Dont Trust it, and Don't Tinkle on it (these are boys in most cases and men that wish they were boys again in some). Philmont gear list is too much...try to avoid if you can get by with it, but understand that the staff can and may make you carry the items recommended. Being from the east, the big adjustment for me was the dust. There are a couple of shower facilities usually available on your trip, but you are only clean until you trun the water off. Mileage usually isn't too bad as the start low and work you up on the treks. Our longest was 14 miles. Get an early start each day and you will be done before it gets too hot. Have a great time!

Images

my Dad did it in the 1950s - I have his belt buckle. He said it was hot and boring then. My experience is that BSA carry too much stuff and rely on very dated material. Some might have fun. Maybe one day says that their longest day was 14 miles. That's a solid morning for me on the AT assuming I wake pretty early but nothing super special in terms of strenuous effort. My feeling is that it it overrated and that there are better adventures but that's just my opinion and I'm sure some folks get a lot out of it. I kept the belt buckle from my Dad for fun but always made up my own adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by FatHead64 View Post
    I was there twice - late 70s and maybe 1980. It was the highlight of my scouting time. The second time I went, our crew was 7 Eagles, 2 Lifes and a Star - get out of the way! Have been to ToT (of course), Baldy, Uracca Mesa, Black Mountain, Cimmaroncito, and a number of other places not immediately coming to mind.
    I was Second Class for Five years. But in the end, the Scout Master asked me to be the SPL because all the Eagle, Life and Star scouts in the troop couldn't lead a Tederfoot out of a pup tent with a compass. I had no interest in getting Merit Badges but I could stay warm and dry on a camping trip and scare the crap out of the Tenderfoots (Tenderfeet?) with a good campfire ghost story. I'd say we lived up to about 80% of the Boy Scout Law. Can't say many of us were particularly clean or reverent

Images

My comment would be about the rigorous LNT ethic observed at Philmont. My trip was in '95 at age 47. The ranch at that time had 12,000+ trekkers each summer season. Using the sumps for all waste water disposal, carrying all garbage and trash out was required. Sleeping was on the most durable surface at the back country sites, mostly small rock or gravel. Compared to those hikers who trash the shelters and AT terrain, the scouts are much better stewards of the outdoors for their time spent at Philmont. The back country was pristine. I remember some jeep roads, also some nice easy grades up canopy covered creeks. There were a few flat meadows to traverse so it can't be said that it is all up and down. Our group went up and over Mt Phillips as required to reach the next overnight. Our sister group did a valley walk around. Climbing up over Phillips, we stopped for lunch. So steep that I was wedged against a tree to keep from sliding down hill. How high were we? High enough that when an F-111 flew over we could smell the kerosene flavored exhaust as it passed over our heads. Philmont, it is what it is. It is not the Philmont death march to be endured. Philmont was, and is, an opportunity for young men to exercise leadership, put outdoor skills to use, seek adventure, test themselves, work as a team, and have some good clean fun.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Half the "trails" at philmont are either flat or jeep roads
    When people climb baldy they do so as a side hike with a day pack
    The miles per day at philmont is low by AT standards, so is elevation gain
    Calling it a killer would be an exxaggeration, unless your typical fat out of shape scoutleader carrying a 50 lb pack.
    (fully 50% of leaders dont excercise AT ALL before going to Philmont)

90% of the scouts and leaders going to Philmont, wouldnt make it Neels gap on the AT.
    MuddyWaters,
    Thanks for sharing. Makes me feel even better about my son who at 10 flew thru Springer to Neels Gap (unfortunately spent more time than I would have preferred waiting on me to keep up) . Knocked out some of his Hiking Merit Badge on the AT.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Images

And you might give some props to the scouts and leaders who undertake a Philmont trek for the elevations they contend with. Lowest point of the ranch is 6,500' with substantial time spent at 8,000' to 10,000'. Highest point on the AT, well, ya'll know here and what that is. Unless you're from the real mountain regions of the US, starting at over a mile above SL is a challenge. Especially for those of us who live at sea level.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

Journal Entries

Philmont is a great place for some kids to go and have an experience they otherwise would never have..
    Most of it is not exactly remote wilderness, despite imagery . At any given time in the summer there are more than 1000 people all over Philmont.
    You are never more than about 45 min to one hour from help.

25,000 people per year, camping in same sites repeatedly
    Its not LNT, its "concentrated impact" camping

We will be there this summer as well.
    Trying to deal with one kid and one advisor that have done nothing to improve their shape so far.

#1 problem is people carrying too much weight, in addition to being out of shape. What should be an easy moderate hike turns out to be "killer" for them. They hold back their crew, make them late for programs, etc.

Too many clothes, heavy tents, heavy raingear, heavy sleeping bags, heavy packs, nalgene bottles. The average pack is probably 40-45 lbs leaving base. We hope to have everyone in our group under 30 lbs. Personally, mine looks like it will be about 20 lbs leaving base.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-19-2013 at 22:42.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++