WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think canned corned beef is 1000mg per 100g, which is 1% salt, and 2% salt once dehydrated. Not too bad if eating say 200g per day and it's your only source of salt, but I would suggest you don't need to add any more Insta Cure. I would either start with fresh brisket and add my own Insta Cure, or just salt, or use canned Corned Beef and dehydrate it without adding any extra. I would also suggest 1g of salt per 100g of beef is more than enough, especially if you will dehydrate it. Even when hiking you should limit your salt intake. Figure out how much you need, then figure out what foods and drinks to get the salt from. I use jerky and skim milk as my only sources of sodium. Milk has it naturally. The jerky is a convenient place to store the extra salt you need because it serves the dual purpose of helping to preserve the meat and to give you the extra salt you need, and you can control your salt intake by chewing on jerky or adding it to soup on the days you need it, and using less on the days you don't. Skim milk I more or less have the same every day, mostly in my chai style spiced tea but also some with oatmeal.

Well, the corned beef was a hit! I rehydrated in a snack size ziplock and stuffed it into a pita with a piece of cheddar and a squeeze of Chick-filet honey bar-que sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRing View Post
    I read a post earlier about dehydrating corned beef from a can. I purchased a can and mashed up thecontents and mixed it with a curing agent to retard bacterial growth. Placed it on parchment paper in my dehydrator for a couple hours, let cool, and into vacuum packed bags. It does rehydrate well.....gonna try it out.
    I have used dried hash brown potatoes with dried onion and an envelope of corned beef. It made a huge meal for two but we sucked it down in a heartbeat. With pita bread and envelopes of ketchup. Delicious. Satisfying.

Don't worry about what the vegans think; 83% of them quit if that tells you anything... study results according to Teicholz.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++