WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default "Southbounders" movie

I got an e-mail this morning that pointed me to a write-up about a new movie called, "Southbounders"

There is a review at
    http://www.filmthreat.com/Reviews.asp?Id=7601

Has anyone seen this movie and/or heard anything about it? I did not find any reference to it in earlier Whiteblaze threads.

Tripp

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I shot the author of one of the articles an e-mail requestion info on how to obtain a copy. Let's see what he says ....

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I found the official movie site at

http://www.southbounders.com/

I sent an e-mail to Ben, the director/producer asking about availability and plans. We'll see . . .

So, is this the first dramatic/fictional effort to encompass a thru-hike? I've seen novels that had the AT as a setting, but none were about thru-hiking. It screened at the LA Film Festival, which is a big deal. Wait til Sunday the 26th to see how it fared in that competition.

Here's the IMDB link (which is still thin at the moment):
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0463032/

i was wondering what took so long for someone to do a fictionalized at movie.always thought it would be a compelling subject.although everyone,listen up,if this flick ever gets off the ground and gets some press,its just more attention to the at and the numerous hordes and masses of people it will attract....could be bad for the trail...overuse like we never have seen... notto mention the proposed walk in the woods movie...we could finally be seeing the AT thrust into the 90% of the popuace that have never heard of it...
    i recommend to everyone,if your goin to do another thru-hike(myself)or attempt one.......DO IT SOON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by trippclark
    I found the official movie site at

I sent an e-mail to Ben, the director/producer asking about availability and plans. We'll see . . .
    I don't think I have ever replied to my own post before but I just got a reply from the director/producer/writer for Southbounders. Sounds like the movie may be available as a DVD in the near future. Here is what he says:

On 6/27/05, Ben <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Hi Tripp,
    >
    > Thanks for contacting me. Keep your fingers crossed; in the coming months, I
    > hope to have things in place so that I can sell the DVD online. I'll make
    > sure to give you a heads up when I do!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ben

Images

Tripp ...I just got the same e-mail from Ben. Who knows, maybe getting to inquiries back-to-back will push the process along a little faster.

'Slogger

Not so good review here, apparently we are all hippies and flower children:
    http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.ph...1&IssueNum=107

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Monster
    Not so good review here, apparently we are all hippies and flower children:
    http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.ph...1&IssueNum=107
    Here's the "OUCH" line:

"...and there’s something faintly disturbing about the film’s unspoken suggestion that all this natural beauty is really meant only for the athletic and the attractive."

Obviously, they haven't seen me. Atheltic? Attractive? Not me.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    Here's the "OUCH" line:

"...and there’s something faintly disturbing about the film’s unspoken suggestion that all this natural beauty is really meant only for the athletic and the attractive."

Obviously, they haven't seen me. Atheltic? Attractive? Not me.
    ===================================
    Not to mention the fact that it leaves out us centrum silver hikers ...

'Slogger

I just saw that this movie is now available for purchase on DVD or VHS

Any of y'all seen it yet?

Images

yup, i had a six-month viewing in 2001 and another one in 2003

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I had a 5 month viewing in 1998. No love affair with an attractive blonde in my viewing. Perhaps I should have seen the director's cut?

In 2002 I saw the sequel called "Paific Crest Trail". Still no love affairs with attractive blondes in this viewing.

In 2006, the long awaited third part of this trilogy is coming out called "On the Divide". I took a sneak peak at the script. The author did write in parts for love affairs with attractive blondes. Not sure if this part of the script will make it into the actual production phase or not. Suspect the theme of eating Sncikers and not showering will be repeated. They were popular motifs in the earlier two films. May explain why the main character never had love affairs with attractive blondes in the previous two movies.

(Also saw some smaller films too. "In the Green Mountains" (twice) and "In the Colorado Rockies". Alas, no attractive blondes in those films as well.)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Yellow Jacket
    Images

The trailer makes it out to be some sort of chick-flick.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Images

i actually met these people when they were filming @ rainbow stream shelter up in ME. it didn't click in my head until i watched the trailer on their website. they had this huge group of people, mostly crew, and had taken up the whole shelter. most of them were cool, but there were defintiely a couple of a$$holes that were like, "can ya'll shut up for a second, we're trying to film here."....i had to keep another hiker from kickin that dude's a$$.

Quote Originally Posted by the goat
    i actually met these people when they were filming @ rainbow stream shelter up in ME. it didn't click in my head until i watched the trailer on their website. they had this huge group of people, mostly crew, and had taken up the whole shelter. most of them were cool, but there were defintiely a couple of a$$holes that were like, "can ya'll shut up for a second, we're trying to film here."....i had to keep another hiker from kickin that dude's a$$.

Sounds like they should have had a special use permit from NPS - I wonder if they did?

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Default Check quantity!

Looks good. Just ordered a copy.

BE CAREFUL with the ordering process. When I just ordered, they had the default set for you to order FOUR copies! If you don't use their interface to change it to ONE copy (or how many you really want) you'll get four, and your CC will be charged for four. Hope that's some kind of bug and not intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline
    Looks good. Just ordered a copy.

BE CAREFUL with the ordering process. When I just ordered, they had the default set for you to order FOUR copies! If you don't use their interface to change it to ONE copy (or how many you really want) you'll get four, and your CC will be charged for four. Hope that's some kind of bug and not intentional.
    Skyline,

I just ordered one also and did not get a default value at all. Perhaps it is your browser auto-fill settings. If set on your system, and you previously entered a "4" on another form with the same field name, it would default a 4 on this form. That is one possibility anyway. However, if that is what it is, this could also happen to others!

Tripp

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Skyline,

I just ordered one also and did not get a default value at all. Perhaps it is your browser auto-fill settings. If set on your system, and you previously entered a "4" on another form with the same field name, it would default a 4 on this form. That is one possibility anyway. However, if that is what it is, this could also happen to others!

Tripp

I don't recall ordering a quantity of 4 of anything recently, but even if I did this sure is a lousy way for any software to behave fraught with the danger of winding up with more items than you wanted--not saying it's the filmmakers' website's fault.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++