WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Slackpack--I really enjoyed the movie when I saw it at the SoRuck, so I bought a copy and have showed it to my family quite a few times. My husband likes vicariously hiking the AT with the characters. We enjoyed your character a lot...and especially like it when "the old lady" shows up.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

got a copy 3 weeks ago. iwas hoping for a documentry not a scripted plot. a little cheesy i thought

Quote Originally Posted by blindeye
    a little cheesy i thought
    I liked the flick even though I was sitting on the hard linoleum floor at the SORUCK. It was laugh out loud funny at times - and it was a blast watching it with 50-60 other hikers. Anyway, I always enjoy a little cheese with my trails.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by blindeye
    got a copy 3 weeks ago. iwas hoping for a documentry not a scripted plot. a little cheesy i thought
    Wanna sell your copy Blindeye? Ill give you .50 on the dollar.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I liked it too. Too many documentary-type DVDs out there. They're just visual journals. "Southbounders" is different.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    You expected a Hollywood production?

The plot may be thin but the story line happens quite often. I'd liked the little things like tossing unnecessary items in the hiker box and having others pick them out, witnessing the hikers get stronger and switching to Lekis, the still shot of the real Keith on his stoop... the "gets" as filmmaker Ben Wagner called them in an inroductory letter he sent along with the film to the SoRuck.
    I said I enjoyed it. I really did. I think it captured the essence of the experience.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Just watched it for the second time. You always notice little things you missed during successive views.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the music yet. Mostly accoustic, with solo vocals, the majority by Jay Nash. Given the copyright dates in the credits, one might wonder if most of the songs were not composed specifically for this movie. Anyone know?

Regardless, the music is fantastic IMHO. Anyone know if a soundtrack has been put together on a CD? Where to buy it?

One other thing I missed the first time was a credit near the end: "Thanks to Keith Shaw for being a shepherd to thousands..." (hope I got that right).
    Last edited by Skyline; 03-13-2006 at 02:12.

Marta - Thanks; glad you enjoyed it. A lot of people like the sequence with Joliette (my "old lady"). In fact, the only person who hasn't liked it is my actual "old lady"

blindeye - Fair enough. We were trying for a "documentary style" in the film-making itself (though not so much in the exacting details - hence the parts that are slightly off in terms of mileage and/or location - it's all "dramatic effect").

MOWGLI16, L. Wolf & Newb - thanks much

Skyline - I agree that the music is great. Jay Nash did do the vast majority of the songs and he did the score (all the instrumentals). I can't speak for the writing of the songs, but the score was specific to the film. I believe some of the songs were as well. There is also a rumor of a soundtrack being produced and available soon - it's a strong rumor, but still a rumor at the moment.

Slackpack

i watched the movie again and i liked it more the second time around, SO iguess i may have been a little harsh at first. i did enjoy the scenery i'll be seeing next year.

Just watched the movie for the first time and was blown away by the scenery and photography. Definately a different type of AT movie (which is a nice change) and addresses a lot of the common issues, such as....know it all hikers.....wanting to give-up......the constant references to FOOD....etc.

Great soundtrack !!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    In 2006, the long awaited third part of this trilogy is coming out called "On the Divide". I took a sneak peak at the script. The author did write in parts for love affairs with attractive blondes. Not sure if this part of the script will make it into the actual production phase or not. Suspect the theme of eating Snickers and not showering will be repeated. They were popular motifs in the earlier two films. May explain why the main character never had love affairs with attractive blondes in the previous two movies.
    Damn..don't you just love old threads that get brought back to life.

The third part of my trilogy did indeed have lots of Snickers and many days without showering. As expected, the torrid love affairs with attractive blondes did NOT make the final production version.

There were many cows, however, added at the last minute to the script.

The main character would much rather have torrid love afairs with attractive blondes than fight mooing cows for water.

Reports indicate the 2006 release of "On the Divide" is much more satisfying than the 2007 release titled "In the Cubicle"

Being serious: I enjoyed the scenery, the music and the twist ending was rather cool. Little things popped up that brought a knowing smile. Watching it with a group of thru-hikers at the Rockies Ruck two years ago was akin to the Rocky Horror Picture Show for hikers: We all added our comments out loud.
    Last edited by Mags; 12-28-2007 at 23:46.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Just watched the trailer, for a minute there I thought something horrible was about to happen.

Turn into something like The Hills Have Eyes or Wrong Turn, or the Hostel.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Thumbs up Cue shameless plug...

Quote Originally Posted by springerfever View Post
    Just watched the movie for the first time and was blown away by the scenery and photography. Definately a different type of AT movie (which is a nice change) and addresses a lot of the common issues, such as....know it all hikers.....wanting to give-up......the constant references to FOOD....etc.

Great soundtrack !!
    There'll be a Southbounders DVD, courtesy of Survivor Dave, in the raffle to benefit the ATC/ALDHA at the Southern Ruck. See Cuffs for tickets!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/soruck/#Other_Happenings

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Bring a copy to Trail Days
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Default ordering

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Just went to the website. If you click ORDER the default is one copy. If you go back to main page, click ORDER a second time, the default is two copies. If you go back to the home page yet again and click ORDER again, the default is - you guessed - three copies. Do it once more and you have a default of four copies. Of course, it will show four copies on the final CLICK TO CONFIRM YOUR ORDER page, but I can see how you could miss it if you were just clicking next without reading. Been there, done that to my dismay on other sites.
    i tried to order dvd before christmas, got to the new account part and noticed i was not on a secure site. decided not to give info. i just found it on amazon

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Default Soundtrack

The soundtrack for "Southbounders" is available on iTunes and probably some other places. Just great stuff. It was kind of cool to listen to the entire songs cruisin' down the winding highway mountains of Ga.
    I find playing it on the way to go hiking gives that extra mental boost!. Although the movie is fictional, I think most hikers enjoyed it.

Good luck to the raffle winners at 08' Soruck!
    Happy New Year!!!!

SD

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    The soundtrack for "Southbounders" is available on iTunes and probably some other places. Just great stuff. It was kind of cool to listen to the entire songs cruisin' down the winding highway mountains of Ga.
    I find playing it on the way to go hiking gives that extra mental boost!. Although the movie is fictional, I think most hikers enjoyed it.

Jay Nash's album, "Some Kind of Comfort," has the best stuff from the movie track. I've ended up listening to that more than the soundtrack album.

Funny this thread should crop up. I haven't watched a movie at home in a long time but the other night, when we got home from the Christmas trip to my parents' house, I got my sleeping bag, stretched out on the floor, and watched..."Southbounders." I've been off the Trail too long.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    There'll be a Southbounders DVD, courtesy of Survivor Dave, in the raffle to benefit the ATC/ALDHA at the Southern Ruck. See Cuffs for tickets!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/soruck/#Other_Happenings
    Sly, will we be able to buy the tickets once we get there?

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer View Post
    Sly, will we be able to buy the tickets once we get there?
    Oh yeah. Cuffs promises to sell the snot out of 'em!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++