WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: hitch hiking?!?

Images

.... or was it Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    never heard of anyone in the past 30 years havin' a bad hitch
    That's because they're never heard from again.

My only suggestion to the OP is sit next to a door. All vehicles must slow down eventually and you can jump and roll, or at least you can tell yourself that. If the person took the time to rig the locks you're doomed anyway.

I made the mistake of getting in the backseat of a two-door years ago. Fortunately they dropped me off but where they thought I should want to go, not where I thought I wanted to go.

I've had hitchhikers get smart with me (threaten, etc.), one reason I seldom pick them up anymore. I wouldn't say I never pick someone up, but the circumstances have to be just right for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I've hitchhiked a lot.
    Often times it is the best part of a travel adventure.
    When people ask me what is the best time I ever had, I am reminded of the time I was picked up by a truckload of aborigines in the Australian outback and we had the greatest jam on their digireedoos and my guitar. Priceless for sure.

The people who pick you up hitchhiking are the open minded people of the world.
    Not the scared sheep who watch too many cop shows.

Of course now-a-days with police recommending people pack heat, times are different.
    Last time I hiked, and got into a car that was questionable (as to the intent of the driver), I surprised him with a quick question (before getting in):
    I said "Do you have a gun"
    When he quickly (I watched his eyes) answered no, I got in and we had a great conversation on the way.

To each his own of course, but it'll be a sad day in America when no one hitchhikes anymore.
    My experience matches this as well. Some of my best memories of my thru hike were the people I met while hitching to resupplies but also back to civilization (Seattle) after finishing. I was a bit apprehensive at the start of my hike, even though I had hitched a few times while hiking in the Sierra. Once I figured out there I was actually providing a service it became easier. What was the service? I was providing someone a little bit variety to their otherwise routine day. There is also that little feeling of victory when you score a ride from the first car to pass after 20 minutes, you are momentarily on top of the world. It's the little things in life.....

Images

I think you 2 should try an experiment. Gizzy hides in bushes, RC holds out his thumb.......RC hides in bushes, Gizzy holds out her thumb. I hope it's not Raining when RCs out there!

Quote Originally Posted by gizzy bear View Post
    I read a lot of posts where people mention hitching a ride to and from trails & into towns... I'm not so sure I could do that.... How do you know good people from bad people?!? Do they have special bumper stickers that read "I don't kill people" ??
    You severely over estimate the danger of a ride potentially killing you. When you get into your own vehicle to drive every time do you first consider that you may die in your own driving related accident? NO. Same with hitching. The difference is that a hitch entails greater unknowns and it's the lack of familiarity that you fear. Trust your gut Trust you will feel things out correctly with potential rides. Turn off the fear based TV. Put down the fear based newspaper. Instead, embrace faith and wisdom! You'll live more happily and get more done. Here's a hitching hint from someone who has literally hitched 100's of rides throughout the U.S. with a wide variety of folks - when applicable I choose to ask for rides at gas stations, overlooks, convenient stores, at entrances to National and State parks, trail heads, etc rather than simply by sticking out a finger alongside the road. This way not only can I assess a potential ride in person but they can also assess me thereby reducing the unknowns.

I did a lot of hitching during my 2004 thru hike. Never had a problem with anyone trying to rob or murder me, but had one ride into Helen, GA in which the driver seemed to be in a big hurry and I wasn't sure either one of us was going to make it. I was in the back of her pickup truck (people in pickups are much more likely to pick you up than in any other kind of vehicle) and she was sliding the tires around every curve. Can't really tell you how to tell a bad guy from a good guy. For some reason the bad guys don't wear signs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou:1445459
    I think you 2 should try an experiment. Gizzy hides in bushes, RC holds out his thumb.......RC hides in bushes, Gizzy holds out her thumb. I hope it's not Raining when RCs out there!
    I always thought you did an experiment because you were'nt sure what the outcome would be? I feel pretty comfortable that I already know the answer to this one. :-)

And I'm also quite sure that as Gizzy was closing the car door, she would make sure to shout out to the bushes that another ride should be along shortly. :P

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Don't know about that particular bumper sticker, but this one's available on ebay as we speak

Attachment 20551

AMEN!!! i loathe those stupid stick figure people stickers... i saw one lady, once, that had like 47 cats and dogs represented on the back of her "mini van" ...and guess what?? she was ALONE... go stick figure...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    I always thought you did an experiment because you were'nt sure what the outcome would be? I feel pretty comfortable that I already know the answer to this one. :-)

And I'm also quite sure that as Gizzy was closing the car door, she would make sure to shout out to the bushes that another ride should be along shortly. :P
    i am channeling a old "mr microphone" commercial here... i would just say "hey good lookin we will be back to pick you up later"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ4z4xIygdo

Journal Entries
    Images

if you're not comfortable with hitching then have a good phone that can reach all shuttle drivers and pay out the butt. otherwise be like the rest of us and just hitch. never heard of anyone in the past 30 years havin' a bad hitch

a shuttle butt?!? :P

I'm going to have to hitch at the very beginning of my trip. Taking a Greyhound from Dallas to Frederick and I'll need to get lucky and find someone going from Frederick to Harper's Ferry. I'm a jump right in the pool kind of guy I guess.

Journal Entries
    Images

all BS to the side ... i appreciate the "good" stories people have posted here... it is a comforting... although i am sitting behind a computer right now

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by perrymk View Post
    That's because they're never heard from again
    exactly!! dead people don't talk :P

Images

last year i hitched from NOC to bryson city to get to a pharmacy, for shoe inserts. I walked about 20 min,then was picked up by a husband and wife heading in to town to hit the laundrymat. they dropped me at the pharm,went and did their laundry. came back gave me a ride to the grocerry store and post office then back to NOC. they said they were working at a motorcycle campground nearby. when i got back to NOC, I went to get my camera out of the outside pocket of my pack to take some pics of the place,it was then i found out that my camera had fallen out in the trunk of their car.
    I remembered that they said they were working at a campground nearby, after about an hour of looking in phone book and calling information I tracked them down. They went and looked and sure enough they found it, drove a half hour around the mountain to bring me my camera. I tried for ten minutes to give them gas money, they flat out refused to take it. there are some really awsome people out there.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Half Note View Post
    I'm going to have to hitch at the very beginning of my trip. Taking a Greyhound from Dallas to Frederick and I'll need to get lucky and find someone going from Frederick to Harper's Ferry. I'm a jump right in the pool kind of guy I guess.
    yeah...i like to wade in... RCBear.... is more like a spider monkey jacked up on mountain dew... so we will see... good luck to you!!

Images

Great story!

One of the biggest things about hitching, that I can't stress enough, is to trust your gut, and have an excuse ready. I've hitched a bunch, and never had a bad ride, and most of them were downright awesome, truth be told, but I was always ready to say "oh, jeez, thank you so much for stopping, but I just remembered I left my _____ back a few miles, and I have to go back and get it." (One time I had this real shady looking van with borded up windows stop for me, turned out to be a couple girls in high school moving a bunch of drums and guitars taking their dog to the vet, we smoked and they dropped me off just where I needed to be, but I was a bit nervous until they got out to open the door). Trust yourself, and especially since you are with someone you trust, you'll be fine with whatever you decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by train wreck View Post
    don't know about that particular bumper sticker, but this one's available on ebay as we speak :d

Attachment 20551
    i want that!

Images

never heard of anyone in the past 30 years havin' a bad hitch
    There's a good reason you don't hear from those folks.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

I've always been a pretty lucky hitch hiker. In Mass. I got picked up by a guy who worked for the local AMC person. Besides they have to be really crazy for ME to worry about them being crazy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++