WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: hitch hiking?!?

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I've hitchhiked a lot.
    Often times it is the best part of a travel adventure.
    When people ask me what is the best time I ever had, I am reminded of the time I was picked up by a truckload of aborigines in the Australian outback and we had the greatest jam on their digireedoos and my guitar. Priceless for sure.

The people who pick you up hitchhiking are the open minded people of the world.
    Not the scared sheep who watch too many cop shows.

Of course now-a-days with police recommending people pack heat, times are different.
    Last time I hiked, and got into a car that was questionable (as to the intent of the driver), I surprised him with a quick question (before getting in):
    I said "Do you have a gun"
    When he quickly (I watched his eyes) answered no, I got in and we had a great conversation on the way.

To each his own of course, but it'll be a sad day in America when no one hitchhikes anymore.
    My sentiments too. Rarely though have I seen LEOs advise the public arming themselves with a firearm.

Journal Entries

I think the presumption today by people not used to the idea, is that there must be something wrong with someone that would pick up hitchhikers. I mean, everyone knows you'd have to have bad intentions, or be crazy to do that.

And if you are referring to scruffy people walking down the side of the US Interstate with an old duffel bag, or near a State Prison, you would probably be right.

AT hikers, havent killed anyone yet, I dont think.

Images

Make a sign out of a piece of Tyveck "AT hiker to Town/Trail" It can be a section of your groundcloth or a sit pad. It helps.

Here is a youtube video of a 2012 thru hiker talking about hitchhiking. Some of the stuff he mentions is kind of funny.

Quote Originally Posted by RCBear View Post
    .... or was it Al Bundy.
    Al bundy was not a killer with the ladies .lol

TheYoungOne... great video. Really good tips!
    I can relate to the "tell me your story", piece. That would be me. I love to help the hikers out but yeah, my reward is hearing their story... enter my "other" trail name.. "Spanish Inquisition." Their stories, to me, are the BEST!

Once again -MM is right on it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMomKD View Post
    TheYoungOne... great video. Really good tips!
    I can relate to the "tell me your story", piece. That would be me. I love to help the hikers out but yeah, my reward is hearing their story... enter my "other" trail name.. "Spanish Inquisition." Their stories, to me, are the BEST!

Once again -MM is right on it.
    So, HMKDSI?

I got a ride from an older couple in Shady Valley, TN, and it got weird. These people were in their 70s, and the dude put his hand down the woman's shirt and offered me a shot at it, too. I politely declined. It was crazy.

Enjoyed the video The Young One. Probably added some level headed calmness to the whole idea of hitch hiking from those not accustomed to it not only with the verbal content you brought to it but with the Zen like atmosphere with doing it outside in the visual sunshine and having the wind chimes and birds chirping in the back round noises. Yeah, sights and sounds play a big part in communicating ideas. Plus, your casual calm demeanor and appearance play into the video.

Hey, The Young One, I heard Spielberg is looking for someone like you. Maybe, you have a career in acting or doing more home made videos.

Quote Originally Posted by FatHead64 View Post
    So, HMKDSI?
    Rasty wants me to go with that trail name.. go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Hey, The Young One, I heard Spielberg is looking for someone like you. Maybe, you have a career in acting or doing more home made videos.
    Is it the Young One on that vid. or did he just post a vid of a 2012 hiker?

Quote Originally Posted by eatapeach View Post
    I got a ride from an older couple in Shady Valley, TN, and it got weird. These people were in their 70s, and the dude put his hand down the woman's shirt and offered me a shot at it, too. I politely declined. It was crazy.
    Didn't you write about this in Penthouse?

How in the world can you talk about hitching for 8 minutes? Not interested enough to watch.

Hiker Mom, have been wondering about you pic. Was it taken while you were on a tread mill?

No, not a tread mill Dogwood. I was running in a 5k race to raise money for the local Greenway project.

That's better.... It's kinda blurry...

Kinda figured. Looked like you were running or perhaps one heck of a fast hiker on a mission to get somewhere fast.

Roanoke Valley Greenway project? My sister in law's parents live near Roanoke. My brother has told me about these pathways. Pretty cool you helped raised money for this.

Images

Since taking up section hiking the AT, my wife and I have probably done everything we warned our children to never do

Kinda figured. Looked like you were running or perhaps one heck of a fast hiker on a mission to get somewhere fast.
    I'm always "on the run" when I post on WB.. I sit down for a minute... post something then, I run off to do something else.. repeat! :O)

Roanoke Valley Greenway project? My sister in law's parents live near Roanoke. My brother has told me about these pathways. Pretty cool you helped raised money for this.
    That's really cool about the family connection to Roanoke! We use the Greenway a lot! They are expanding it all the time. Love it. We are running again on May 11th. It's called Gallop 4 The Greenways. It's fun & like you said, helps them raise money for a cool project!

Whooops! Now, back to hitchhiking...

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    Since taking up section hiking the AT, my wife and I have probably done everything we warned our children to never do
    Ahh.. that's funny.. I don't think I could ever hitchhike myself.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++