WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Where to hike (NE Alabama/NW Georgia)

I've got a job interview coming up soon and since it's on a Friday I figured I'd take a little backpacking trip afterwards. The interview is just outside Huntsville, AL and I'm driving from Auburn.

I figured the Pinhoti would be a good trail to take, but don't know where I should go. I will plan to have a few hours of daylight to hike on Friday and then all day Saturday. I am thinking about 4-6 miles on Friday and 15-20 on Saturday. I will be by myself so it would need to be a loop or out n back.
    Any suggestions on places to hike/camp on the Pinhoti or should I travel a little more and head over to the AT at Springer?

Thanks!

There are some loop trails you can do in Cloudland Canyon State Park, south of Chattanooga. also look at loop trails in the Cuhutta Wilderness near Dalton/Ringgold GA.

for some out and backs, you can look at the Cumberlanad Trail, the Great Eastern Trail, the Appalachian Trail, the Benton McKaye Trail, or the Pinhoti Trail.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

There is a nice loop in the Cheaha Wilderness, it consists of the Chinnabee Silent Trail, the Skyway Trail, and the Pinhoti Trail. Total length is about 17 miles with several trail heads to choose from. It's very scenic with overlooks and numerous waterfalls. You could add about 8 miles by taking the 4 mile-ish Odum Scout Trail as a spur to the Pinhoti Trail and then doing the 17 mile loop.
    Pete
    "Difficulties are just things to overcome, after all" Ernest Shackleton​

Quote Originally Posted by Alpacasaurus View Post
    There is a nice loop in the Cheaha Wilderness, it consists of the Chinnabee Silent Trail, the Skyway Trail, and the Pinhoti Trail. Total length is about 17 miles with several trail heads to choose from. It's very scenic with overlooks and numerous waterfalls. You could add about 8 miles by taking the 4 mile-ish Odum Scout Trail as a spur to the Pinhoti Trail and then doing the 17 mile loop.
    Pete
    I hiked this loop several times when I lived in Alabama. Very scenic, easy water, lots of camping spots.

PT between Adams Gap and Cheaha SP or do a loop in Cheaha SP as Alpacasurus said but being sure to take in the highest pt in AL in Cheaha SP. For a more civilized hike in Cheaha SP there's decent chow at reasonable prices at the restaurant in CSP. Nice view from the restaurant too. Nice lodge in CSP also.

If it's a go with the PT visit the PT Alliance website and download a few of the applicable maps from Mr Parkays AL PT mapset. They are free. A specific CSP trailmap is BEST if just doing other trails in the park though. The Alabama Trail Association site has decent info about CSP trails as well as good links to GREAT descriptions and decent maps of the various trails in CSP.

Another option is the Sipsey Wilderness Area in NW Alabama. http://www.sipseywilderness.org/

This is a good time of the year to see some of the waterfalls and sandstone bluffs. And it's closer to Huntsville. Just west of Hartsville, AL of I-65.

Dan

Thanks everyone for the advice! I've got a little time before this trip so I will check everything out and come up with a plan.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonero View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I've got a little time before this trip so I will check everything out and come up with a plan.
    Another option is point A to point B anywhere on the Al. Pinhoti with a shuttle by blisterbob back to your car.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Walls of Jericho on the TN line. WAR EAGLE
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I wasn't able to go overnight but I did a nice day-hike at Cloudland Canyon State Park. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Cheaha Al is really nice, so is couldland canyon state park.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    PT between Adams Gap and Cheaha SP or do a loop in Cheaha SP as Alpacasurus said but being sure to take in the highest pt in AL in Cheaha SP. For a more civilized hike in Cheaha SP there's decent chow at reasonable prices at the restaurant in CSP. Nice view from the restaurant too. Nice lodge in CSP also.
    did this section last week managed to make the breakfast buffet at the lodge at the Cheaha state park during the hike plenty of water good views from the pinhoti which runs pretty much along the ridgeline in the section
    hillbilly

++ New Posts ++