WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Get bread away from me

I find that the more active I am for extended periods (+3 days) the LESS I want bread or bagels or pasta. All I want is fruit. Juicy, juicy, sweet, delicious, sticky fruit. The thought of gnawing on a dense bagel just makes me nauseous. Does anyone else have this experience? Is this related to hydration?

Journal Entries

I am a fairly serious distance runner, and I can agree with you that after a long hars run that is all I want. my favorite post run drink used to be orange juice. I think that your body actually runs low on glucose and wants to rebuild its supply. I used to satisfy this craving with candy, but in the last few months I have gone totally healthy.

I think it is very much related to hydration.

Last summer I took cracker snacks as a snack for my Long Trail hike, but as it turned out, I couldn't eat them because I was so dry from lack of hydration. It was like chewing on cotton balls.

Images

I have come to believe that such cravings are as much about the anticipated taste and texture of the food, maybe even coupled with hydration, rather than the body's glucose level.

Im no scientist, but i think the body will work with whatever food that goes in. But that much of the hangups wants and desires are all in the head.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I like the hydration angle. Tuckahoe...all I know is when I tell my wife something is in her head that I'm sleeping on the couch.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

If my man tells me something is in my head, he's almost always right.
    "Every quiet step is thunder to beetle life underfoot."

We're all different...not only did I have a bagel for lunch every day on my thru but I loved it when I hit town and there was a bakery with freshly baked loaves of bread.

Images

Oh boy, a battle of the sexes... I'll go seek cover somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    We're all different...not only did I have a bagel for lunch every day on my thru but I loved it when I hit town and there was a bakery with freshly baked loaves of bread.
    Exactly! we are all very different, but so often have cravings based on where we are, or what we are doing or how something smells.
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 03-21-2013 at 13:40.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Quote Originally Posted by 2014hopeful View Post
    I find that the more active I am for extended periods (+3 days) the LESS I want bread or bagels or pasta. All I want is fruit. Juicy, juicy, sweet, delicious, sticky fruit. The thought of gnawing on a dense bagel just makes me nauseous. Does anyone else have this experience? Is this related to hydration?
    I'm with you on this. I don't really carry bread products hiking anymore. I was carrying them for awhile on the AT as a medium for sandwiches, mostly bagel thins, but after awhile I just started to eat the meat, cheese, PB and Nutella straight instead of arranging them on bread. I agree that hydration--your mouth being drier than usual--is a factor, as is laziness, because, instead of taking the time to arrange a sandwich, I just want to shovel the food into my mouth as directly as possible.

Fruit and veggie cravings are pretty normal for a lot of people ... cold fruit and chocolate milk were my two most common town indulgences.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Not me. I love breads at any time. The thing I generally find myself craving after backpacking are fatty/high carb foods and salad. Fried chicken and onion rings/pizza and an endless salad bar are perfect for me when I get off the trail.
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUB HIKER View Post
    Fruit and veggie cravings are pretty normal for a lot of people ... cold fruit and chocolate milk were my two most common town indulgences.
    First thing I do when I hit town is buy a quart of choclate milk and gulp it down in about a minute. If it's a decent grocery store, followed by a container of freash fruit salad. Oh, I like bread products too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Interesting reading everyone's different cravings! I was all about ginger ale and Caesar salad on my LT hike. I also thought I'd crave sweets but I was devouring sausage and cheese and neglecting my candy. Same with bread. Eventually didn't care for it.

Uhh, after reading this post I no longer have a craving for bread,bagels, or pasta, but, uhh, have a craving for something else that's juicy, juicy, delicious, sticky, etc! Uhh, it's not really related to hydration though.

BREAD, BREAD, GIVE ME BREAD!!!!! Could live on it...mornin', noon, and night. Especially from here: http://sendbread.com/ Oh, that and LOBSTER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    That's true we're all different. I wonder if that would be the case if we didn't spread out over the globe so much, resulting in populations eating such a varied diet.

Personally I don't like fruit, except for very few periods or if it's mixed in with something, like ceral or oatmeal, but on its own I just don't crave much.

I do love choclate milk/milkshake when I hit town and pasta and a big juicy steak and seafood and mexican.... I can eat just about anything.

Although I don't really crave fruits much, luckily I do crave veggies, so I get plenty of fiber, actually sometimes I got to be careful or else I can get too much fiber, that can be a bad thing. So when someone says you can eat all the veggies you want and not gain weight, that may be true, but you can't eat all you want. Just like you can't drink all the water you want.

That's why I love Tang. Hydration, glucose, and pseudo-fruit flavor. Really hits the spot.

If you're not going to eat your bread (touch it with nasty hands), can I have it?

Images

Same here...about not wanting the carbs that is. I bring one tortilla for each day I'm out and an apple or orange per day too. I might have a tortilla left over, but love that sweet fresh fruit!

Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    That's why I love Tang. Hydration, glucose, and pseudo-fruit flavor. Really hits the spot.
    +1. I drank Tang every day on my LongTrail thru hike.

I find that the more active I am for extended periods (+3 days) the LESS I want bread or bagels or pasta. All I want is fruit. Juicy, juicy, sweet, delicious, sticky fruit. The thought of gnawing on a dense bagel just makes me nauseous. Does anyone else have this experience....
    I feel strangely aroused. Wonder how that happened?

++ New Posts ++