WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Interesting thread. The reason I joined white blaze was to be better informed. I have had type 1 diabetes for nearly 30 years. My wife and I have hiked many long ( 8-12 mile ) hikes in the Rockies. We're planning a few 1-2 night hikes this summer. I have an insulin pump that has literally changed my life. Not sure if I'd want to be on the trail more than 2-3 days though.

As I posted earlier I use a pump and plan on a thru-hike in 2014. I agree with you that the pump has changed my life and outlook on living with IDDM. I have had concerns with pump resupply while on the trail and think that MDI's would eliminate a lot of worries with such issues. My doc wants me to reconsider starting a thru with MDI's. He feels I will soon adjust to the resupply logistics. Luckily he has spent some time on the trail and is extremely supportive of the idea of a thru-hike. Currently plan on taking a "pump vacation" this fall with a couple of section hikes to gauge control issues.

I am T1 insulin dependent- the frio is amazing!! Used it on backpacking trips in 100 degree weather in jersey this summer

Hi options! I would love to hear how that goes. I had crazy issues with MDI and very shoddy BG control before I got on the pump. However, I have had some issues hiking with my pump this summer (site coming lose and me not realizing it til the middle of the night, waking with with a 500!!! Happened twice- looked down to find the site all f'n bloody from the knocked against by my pack all day...) however the fact that I can turn basal down to 25% for intense days or up to 75% for easier ones gives me such great control that I'm not sure I'd want to give up when I do my thru hike... Anyway- let me know how your MDI experiment goes!

Images

See if you can contact Team Fortis (M80 and Trooper) who thrued this year. M80 is diabetic AND had his service dog with him AND made the summit on 9/18. He is a very helpful (and fun) guy!

Sounds like you got it figured out.
    Also think any pharmacy could set you up.
    Bryce R.N.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for rejuvenating this thread. I've advanced on my virtual through hike, I'm at 1025 miles on local trails this year, or at the Ed Garvey shelter on the AT. By coincidence, I was at the Ed Garvey shelter last Monday on a day hike out of Harpers Ferry.

I haven't advance the thru hike planning any. I have evolved in my testing strategy. I test at every hourly break and at the bottom and top of any good climbs, trying to get a handle on what the exertion does to the BGLs. Trail mix or carbs to raise any low BGLs. Like I've said before, I'm a T2 with good control so it's not hard.

I've also startrd to reuse lancets and pen needles all day, changing every morning. It would reduce the resupply amounts. I haven't changed the insulin doses so the basic resupply interval wouldn't change.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Since I don't pump, what are some of the resupply factors? What's the reservoir capacity, etc?
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries

Cut back on your sugar,
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    I want to start a thread about the logistics of thru hiking with diabetes. I'm looking for some wisdom about maildrops, etc - I think nutrition is being well covered in other threads.

I am thinking about / starting to plan a 2015 (or later) thru hike.

My thoughts run like this, the insulin pens set the resupply interval. I go thru a fast acting pen in about 16 days and a long acting pen in about 11 days. The common denominator of those two numbers is about 32 days (2 fast acting pens and 3 long acting), with a factor of safety say a resupply after 24 days.

I get 25 test strips in a vial, but 100 would fit, at 4 per day that's 25 days.

The plastic containers that I use for sharps last me about 27 days, one to contain new needles and lancets, and another for used.

Alcohol pads are easy.

For planning purposes use map man's section hiking rates to template out where you might be every 24 days or so and plan a drop box at an appropriate place - avoid the PO that may be closed, etc - use Baltimore Jack's resupply information.

Yes, you could carry twice as much and resupply half as often. Yes, you might test more often, test strips are light, carry more. Yes, you might use less insulin, be flexible and extend the resupply interval.

The drop box would have insulin pens, alcohol pads, needles and Lancets (in a sharps container) - and other stuff, like food.

BD Diabetes Products has sharps disposal guidelines by state - http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.a...=7002&id=10284 . In general, opaque, hard shelled, labeled and taped - every state is a little different.

Am I overthinking this or what? What has worked for people?

Well I figured someone had to have made this and they did. A virtual hike along the AT! You download the app, hike and the miles are logged on the trail! There seems to only be two maps so far. But this is too cool!
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...alwalk.android

BTW Type 2 Insulin dependent here planning on section hiking the AT starting next April with my son who is legally blind. He is going to thru hike the AT next year!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    Cut back on your sugar,
    I am sure he has his own meal plan, long ago discussed with his Dr.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries
    Images

Believe me, I watch the sugar. I'd say I haven't had any in over a year, except cooked in food. Splenda is my friend. I'm well controlled T2, numbers average around 100 with A1c of 5.1.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

RangerZ , If it helps any there was a diabetic guy who completed a 2013 NOBO thru hike with his wife and dog. His trail journal and Youtube videos mention his condition here and there, but you may want to contact him directly to get some advice. Good luck. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=14991 http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamFortisAT?feature=watch

Lala1008, the pump vacation was a success. My bg's were ok. I was reminded quickly though that the pump is far superior for my management style. As it now stands I will hike with the pump and carrying pens for emergency backup, in case of pump failure.
    Robin2013AT I was able to get up with M80, and yes he is a remarkable guy. Extremely accommodating with good advice. The Team Fortis youtube posts have taken up quite a bit of my time lately.

please wear a necklace or bracelet , if we find you passed out we'll know what to do.

Journal Entries
    Images

How goes the planning for your thru? I'm still looking for any wisdom to be had.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

As of today the Thru is still on. Still looking at a mid Feb. start date. The excitement is starting to build as the dream comes closer to reality. 2014 guide is on order, reviewing pack weight and trying to reduce poundage, researching different infusion sets for the pump and resupply points for meds. I'll constantly have to fine tune my carb/insulin ratios once I'm walking. For that reason I'll always be a little heavy with food. Anxiety builds on the home front, so also dealing with that.

@Squeeze, I'll be lit up with diabetes identifying info. Currently planning on having a blaze orange med alert bracelet as well as a necklace. Also have had the suggestion to get a medic alert tat. We'll see.

Forgot to mention that the ATC has provided me a list of past diabetic thru hikers. I've been in contact with some of those individuals who have also provided great insight and advice.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Options View Post
    Forgot to mention that the ATC has provided me a list of past diabetic thru hikers. I've been in contact with some of those individuals who have also provided great insight and advice.
    Options,

Could you share some of your planning about med resupply. Could you share the list of past thru hikers or send me the ATC POC with the info. PM me if you have to. Thanks.

It looks like its going to be 2016 for me. I haven't advanced the planning that I've shown above (work interfers with what I really want to do with my life).

I have logged over 1100 miles on local trails this year, I'd be just north of the PA turnpike on the trail.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++