WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

By the way, i don't know if it's been brought up, but it is possible to thru-hike the whites without paying anything or staying in the huts, it takes some long days (and some short ones) and it takes some stealth camping, but i've done it. (and didn't stray more than 1/3 mile from the white blazes)

American Idiot
    Images

I thought the AMC had signs or policy indicating thru-hikers stayed free for a night on their journey, provided they did some work. If it's old policy, it can't be too old because I recall reading one of Jersey Joe's entries on staying without paying.
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Quote Originally Posted by Pencil Pusher
    I thought the AMC had signs or policy indicating thru-hikers stayed free for a night on their journey, provided they did some work. If it's old policy, it can't be too old because I recall reading one of Jersey Joe's entries on staying without paying.
    Most Huts allow 2 work-for-stays, Lake of the Clouds will allow more. It's an attractive alternative if you don't know any better, but for the most part you have to stop early enough in the afternoon to get the spot and the work is usually done after breakfast the following morning, delaying your start.

Journal Entries
    Images

OK. Enough is enough on this. I don't care who started it Bolivershagnasty. You don't have to drag your attitude all over this site and show it in every post and everyone else does not have to keep feeding Bolivershagnasty to try and tick him off.<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_112271", true); </SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_112271", true); </SCRIPT>
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

Hey now! I'm Bipolar AND a Jerk, but you have asbotiveley no right to put me in the same catemegoryas Boliverblahblah! I demand an eventual retraction of said infracions(or much sulking and gnashing of teeth will enuse)!
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

I'm having a little trouble understanding the problems folks have with the AMC other than have too much money and want too much more. to America! To me (not rich despite the rumor) the huts are an option and ALL things considered, IMHO, not all bad. Seems if folks really have a problem they should take it up with the higher ups of the AMC instead of taking out an attitude towards the AMC workers and folks who don't have a problem. Push solutions not each other.

Nean-"Seems if folks really have a problem they should take it up with the higher ups of the AMC instead of taking out an attitude towards the AMC workers and folks who don't have a problem. "
    Right on! I also said in post #106: "I’ve heard the spiel from caretakers as well and it is part of their job to educate hikers so I politely listen. From my years on Mt. Washington I also know a lot of the people who work on the summit or in the high huts. What you hear from them is very interesting. They describe thru hikers as ill-mannered, arrogant, smelly, cheap people they could do without. I’d like to know if others feel that berating a person like a caretaker who is just doing their job helps the thru hikers who follow or reinforces this image."

Good post.

Rocket GA->ME '04
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead
    By the way, i don't know if it's been brought up, but it is possible to thru-hike the whites without paying anything or staying in the huts, it takes some long days (and some short ones) and it takes some stealth camping, but i've done it. (and didn't stray more than 1/3 mile from the white blazes)
    Definitely, I only paid at one campsite, and it's because I didn't know they allowed work for stay there too. I did work for stay in 2 huts and one campsite/shelter, so all I paid was $8 at the first campsite. It's really not that difficult, they let a ton of people do work for stay at Lake of the Clouds when I was there.

Rocket GA->ME '04
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivershagnasty
    Again Old fart, nothing poistive or constructive, but hey congradulations. I'm going to let this go and be done. Uter one more word about me and I AM going to be at a few events this year just to meet you. I may not stop you from running your mouth but I will break you of the habit of mouthing off to people you don't know. Call this bluff. One word. I'm not even going to bother to respond until I see you in person. Now it's personal.
    Oh, give it a rest. It's an internet forum, stop taking things so seriously...

I absolutly mean what I said on my childs life.

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Default not necessary

Bolivershagnasty, it seems, actually I know, that your comment "on my childs life" is a little over the top.... Where do u get the idea that u can get upset just because someone doesn't do what u want or answer your questions?? This is a forum for ideas / comments / suggestions and sometimes we don't agree with what other persons say but when I don't agree with what someone says & i feel the urge to get personal with my comments I just take the conversation off-line. Have u considered this possibility?

1. As mentioned, you don't have to stay at a hut when you hike through the Whites. Stop by 'Hikers Welcome' in Glenciff for tips. By the time AT hikers get to the Whites, they should have the skills to legally stealth, and the knowledge to find the less expensive options. I suggest AT Hikers try to stay at a Hut (avoid Lakes) if they can swing it, just so they can say they've seen the elephant.
    2. IMO, the AMC has rates designed to be exclusive. The AMC wants to provide for their base membership, not for blue collar families or backpackers passing through.
    3. "I wish" only works in fairy tales. I wish the above treeline huts were cheap, spartan, and self-service only. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that wish to come true.
    4. I was having coffee at the caretaker's yurt at Speck Pond and heard this comment: "I love the AMC, it's Joy Street I hate." I want that on a tee shirt.
    5. I agree with a lot of what Jack and Old Fhart have posted - about the AMC, not about what they've posted about each other.
    6. To put a WhiteBlaze member on ignore, click on "User CP" up on the top bar, and then go to the bottom of the menu on the left. A peaceful read is just a few clicks and a little typing away.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

American Idiot
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocket04
    Oh, give it a rest. It's an internet forum, stop taking things so seriously...
    No doubt. Making threats of physical violence on internet forums is rather lame. Just agree to disagree. Nobody should be threatened like that.
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Hey Pencil Pusher, you may not be used to hearing this from me, but, thanks!

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

My opinion? If you disagree with someone, hey you disagree. stuff happens. If you start personal attacks.... well you need to be a man and be responsibile for running off at the mouth. We all need to be men here, not sniveling little weasels who run our mouths then cry when we get called out on it. If you don't make personal attacks, there's no problem. Why should we not be held responsible for our posts?
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

GAME 2000
    Images

I think the personal attacks and threats makes everybody a little nervous... no sense in it and it shouldn't be tolerated. Somebody has issues that they need help with.

For what it is worth, some of us see certain issues differently, get passionate about our views and sometimes mildly insult those with opposing views in the 'heat of debate'. But we do not physically threaten each other over it and we are the best of friends when we meet each other in person... to handle it in other way is ridiculous. It is expected that all the folks that regularly post on this web site are hikers (or want to be hikers) and have a genuine concern for the AT in particular.

Youngblood

Images

Closing this thread down because some folks take things just a little too far.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

OK, based on some suggestions I'm opening this back up, but play nice y'all.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Ok Old Fhart,I'm apoligizing for being an azz. You took it way beyond what it should have with your attitude not mine. You have personally offended me but I accept my culpability for my responses. I give and expect an apoligy too whether it's here or ever I see you. You need to comment on the AMC huts, not me and whatever that leads too. Your from up there so give us some information as to why it's so and make a point. forget me or Jack, just make your point and give us, who are not aware, of an education of whats going on up there. My beef started out only with the attitude I precieved you had with Jack. I've spoken with him and he's ok with you so I guess I have to be too. Best wishes. BS

Which I did several post ago.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++